Pressure Cooker

RoyP

Jun 21, 2006
Mission Viejo
Name
Roy Patterson
Boat
Grady White 20-foot Walk Around - 'Great Escape'
What size pressure cooker do you use for canning fish in Mason jars? Any recommendation on brands? I found a 20-qt aluminum one made by Granite Ware for $139 from Cooks Catalog.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
What size pressure cooker do you use for canning fish in Mason jars? Any recommendation on brands? I found a 20-qt aluminum one made by Granite Ware for $139 from Cooks Catalog.
I have the all American' you can double stack the jar's and do 15 jar's at one time' it's the way to go

Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
My mom always pressure cooked carp because it disintegrated the bones. Are you guys doing this for that reason...or because you dont have to vac pack your fish and put it in the freezer...plus you get longer life from fish that is canned?

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
My mom always pressure cooked carp because it disintegrated the bones. Are you guys doing this for that reason...or because you dont have to vac pack your fish and put it in the freezer...plus you get longer life from fish that is canned?
I can most of my Tuna because it last's like 5 year's and it make's for quick lunch's' and taste great

capnfshtrp

O'LE SALTLESS
Oct 21, 2005
San Diego
Name
ITFLOATS
The all american #921 , 26 1/2 pints or 19 pints at one time, double stacked layered.
Heavy duty spun aluminum, no rubber seal to rot,metal to metal, lasts forever, I've had mine for
20 yrs now, and use it every year.

Reactions: Juanba

copenhagenchild

PINNHEAD
May 4, 2009
Redlands Ca
Name
Chris
Boat
I wish
All American should say it all. Finished canning 24 cases Thursday. The worst part is I can't keep my wife and kids away from the stuff. Hands down the best way to preserve your catch. 921 meets my needs. I recommend wide mouth half pints by Ball.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
All American should say it all. Finished canning 24 cases Thursday. The worst part is I can't keep my wife and kids away from the stuff. Hands down the best way to preserve your catch. 921 meets my needs. I recommend wide mouth half pints by Ball.
nice' it look's like I'll be doing mine next Wednesday ' I just do pint's.

Juanba

CR
Apr 11, 2014
Pt Loma
Name
John John John
Boat
Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
One more vote for the
All American 22 qt model

Lasts forever!

Oingo

Seasoned veteran
Sep 13, 2005
Name
rw
Boat
Uh oh, you said pressure cooker. Now the NSA is gonna be all over your ass.

Shit! I just said pressure cooker!! Shit! I'm out!!!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
all american is the only way to go. i've been canning fish for over 20 years. mine is a 30 quart and does double layers of pints.

started with a 13 quart presto that my ex-wife gave me and it worked fine, could only can 1 layer of pints but did well with two tiers of 1/2 pints.

when i do can, i use both.

make sure you buy the wide mouth jars as they are easier to fill.

just make sure you do it right or you'll create one of the deadliest poisons...botulism.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
You want to go with the all American 921.
You can fit 26 half pint skinnys with 8 half pint stubbys on top for a total of 31 jars.Also you can fit 2 of these side by side on your average small stove top.

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
What else do you out in the jar when pressure cooking? I am new to this...

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
Best all around canner is the All American 921. Can handle 27 1/2 pint regular mouth jars at a time. I also use a couple of older Presto/National Model 21s which are also 21 quart canners which I upgraded with the All American pressure weight system.

A friend has a 941 (41 quart) and 3 921s.

We plan to have all 7 canners up to steam next week :).