Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    Sitting having a cigar outside at 12:02 am....
    Am I prepared for my 1.75 day leaving on 6.18 at 11am...I’ve double checked my gear in my head, new Avet Hx raptor yet to be spooled with braid, my flat falls have been rigged again with Joey and crew at Squidco.
    Doubting now that the rain shadow rod will be too light a rod for the new raptor, hmm I says to myself maybe trade the rod for a stiffer pole...feedback I’ve seen is Okuma PCH xh...maybe I can swing one or another trip around the classifieds for a deal..
    Now I’m stressed out will I physically be able to do this, 50 years old with back issue...
    Reached out to the Constitution regarding bunk assignment....first come first served says they, tell my wife and she laughed....knowing you you’ll be at the dock at 8am to get signed in says she.
    I know I’ll be that guy, the one stressing over all the details... is my floro to old, should I go buy new 25yard of 30, 40, 60, 80lb flouro...
    What will the weather be like? Should I look at moon phases now? What if the fishing that’s amazing now dwindle off by then...
    The dogs are running around the back yard, something has triggered one of them which leads me to believe another skunk experience is pending, been a weird dog day....had to bring them in for shots at the vet, had to sedate our German Shepard and muzzle him just to get a booster shot, sucks to be such a high strung dog...and then I realize no different than me.
    Massive rush in the back yard...dogs went nuts and then the Shepard grabs his horse ball, he’s chewed this and is running....around like he’s King Dick, love this pup but wish he was not so high strung
    Back to mentally looking at this trip....I’ll be looking at whether or not I’m ready, my wife and dogs know when I’m preparing, taking time out and stressing...are the 4oz glow in the dark sinkers I bought 10 years ago worth using...what brand of elastic rubber bands are the ones to get.. do I need all new hooks, even though I have multiple-packs of ringed 1/0 through 4/0, what’s the brand to use.....
    Tomorrow / today is Sunday....what else needs to be done I says to the voice in my head....
    Fishing is what You love..the Cigar is done and the tag line in my post sums it up. If I get one I’ll be happy

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    My 4.5 day isn’t until October. In the past week I’ve X-wrapped some grips, built a few heavy flatfall leaders, and ordered more jigs. Week before, I tore down the reels for maintenance. Next week, I’ll be respooling braid onto a few casualties from last year. And I’m typing this at 433AM because I started to wake up thinking about the trip…

We may be related.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    The stress and worry you feel probably consumes all of us just before a trip. I would probably be down at Squidco as soon as possible to unload my worries. They’ll get you set up proper.

Don’t worry too much on the rod/reel combo you have. Again, I’d equip it as necessary and use as needed. You can always rent gear to cover your bases.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Sitting having a cigar outside at 12:02 am....
    Am I prepared for my 1.75 day leaving on 6.18 at 11am...I’ve double checked my gear in my head, new Avet Hx raptor yet to be spooled with braid, my flat falls have been rigged again with Joey and crew at Squidco.
    Doubting now that the rain shadow rod will be too light a rod for the new raptor, hmm I says to myself maybe trade the rod for a stiffer pole...feedback I’ve seen is Okuma PCH xh...maybe I can swing one or another trip around the classifieds for a deal..
    Now I’m stressed out will I physically be able to do this, 50 years old with back issue...
    Reached out to the Constitution regarding bunk assignment....first come first served says they, tell my wife and she laughed....knowing you you’ll be at the dock at 8am to get signed in says she.
    I know I’ll be that guy, the one stressing over all the details... is my floro to old, should I go buy new 25yard of 30, 40, 60, 80lb flouro...
    What will the weather be like? Should I look at moon phases now? What if the fishing that’s amazing now dwindle off by then...
    The dogs are running around the back yard, something has triggered one of them which leads me to believe another skunk experience is pending, been a weird dog day....had to bring them in for shots at the vet, had to sedate our German Shepard and muzzle him just to get a booster shot, sucks to be such a high strung dog...and then I realize no different than me.
    Massive rush in the back yard...dogs went nuts and then the Shepard grabs his horse ball, he’s chewed this and is running....around like he’s King Dick, love this pup but wish he was not so high strung
    Back to mentally looking at this trip....I’ll be looking at whether or not I’m ready, my wife and dogs know when I’m preparing, taking time out and stressing...are the 4oz glow in the dark sinkers I bought 10 years ago worth using...what brand of elastic rubber bands are the ones to get.. do I need all new hooks, even though I have multiple-packs of ringed 1/0 through 4/0, what’s the brand to use.....
    Tomorrow / today is Sunday....what else needs to be done I says to the voice in my head....
    Fishing is what You love..the Cigar is done and the tag line in my post sums it up. If I get one I’ll be happy
    You`ll be fine , part of the fun is over thinking it , when it`s game time ypu`ll be in it , the only thing I would have done was save the cigar for the victory ride in ,Goiid Luck

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Sounds like you have your ducks in a row so Relax and let the details of the trip go. Nothing you can do about it till the time comes.

I have two 18 month old GSD’s and they’re polar opposites when it comes to personality. One is chill and total lap dog till he gets pissed then all bets are off. The other is like yours high strung and full on working dog that just wants to go. We send them to German Dog Training up here for 8 weeks and it was money well spent. Basically step one in Schutzhund training.

They settle down as they get older

Upvote 0

Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    Five years of age

Upvote 0

Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    The age of the dog,

83430E28-C6E8-48FA-9AD9-4595A55373A3.jpeg

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    After 70 years of blue water fishing and a bazillion trips, the one thing that you can count on offshore is the joy of being there. The fish may be there in huge numbers but not at all interested in whatever you are presenting. Sometimes you will be the lucky stick and sometimes you will be snakebit. Control what you can (such as the bunk that you want, which is why I only ride boats that let me pay in advance and reserve a particular bunk) and leave the things that you can't control alone. If you're well prepared and doing it right, then you can't do more than that. Take a deep breath and just enjoy the day for what it is.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    I can help answer one of your questions. If your wondering if your flour is too old and if you should buy new spools the answer is yes.
    if you break a fish off that will be the first thing you kick yourself for. I always buy fresh line for trips where I may need it.
    I use the old stuff for local fishing, rockfish, and yellows, or its what I lend to my friends... it never gets wasted.

Upvote 0