Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat Name
none
I know I will probably get beat up on this but here goes.
I am of the opinion that a lot of people are being unrealistic in their asking prices for pre owned rods and reels. ( vintage products excluded ) I think that once a product goes out the door the depreciation of that rod and reel goes down 20%, than even more for the use and condition of the product. To me a preowned reel with spectra has no value. If you buy a preowned reel one needs to consider the cost of having it inspected and serviced if you can't do it yourself I can't tell how many times I inspected line on a preowned reel that the line was beat up deep down into the spool. . So if a rod and reel is not priced at 20% off retail I may as well buy a new one.
Just my two cent opinion

geebee
geebee
why does it always seem like it's the newbies who mark the down votes

cash is king ... (and bs walks)

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
I am of the opinion that a lot of people are being unrealistic in their asking prices for pre owned rods and reels. ( vintage products excluded ) I think that once a product goes out the door the depreciation of that rod and reel goes down 20%, than even more for the use and condition of the product. To me a preowned reel with spectra has no value. If you buy a preowned reel one needs to consider the cost of having it inspected and serviced if you can't do it yourself I can't tell how many times I inspected line on a preowned reel that the line was beat up deep down into the spool. . So if a rod and reel is not priced at 20% off retail I may as well buy a new one.
Just my two cent opinion
That is exactly what makes a market, particularly for mass produced and commodity items. There are a bunch of sellers, all with differing opinions of the value of what they want to sell, and a bunch of buyers, also having a range of opinions. A transaction occurs only when a seller values a particular item less than a particular buyer. After that transaction, there will still be a bunch of sellers on the high side, and buyers on the low side. Some sellers will hold out for a more "reasonable" (oftentimes that means uninformed) buyer and vice versa.

Sellers of used equipment are competing with sellers of new equipment. Some buyers ascribe great value to having a BNIB, factory fresh with warranty item, and therefore buy new. Convenience also enters into it, and cuts both ways.

In this market, sellers of used equipment face far less competition from sellers of new equipment. Similarly, buyers who would normally buy new now often times cannot. As a result the prices of used go up "unreasonably".

Bottom line -- it is really tough for individual buyers or sellers to move markets. Instead, they must adapt, either by paying market or distinguishing their product. Sounds like maybe OP is going to want to stick to buying new.

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

• Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat Name
    Cattle Boats
    Listed price and actual price they sell for are different. Usually sells for lower than asking cost, except for the guys who act like ebay and will take a higher offer after agreeing to a sale. Right now both new and used markets are impacted with lack of supply. Same situation is playing out in the used car markets as well.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    If a rod is used most likely it has been tested. Long as it's not abused it should retain it's value, in some cases increase if hard to get or discontinued.

Reels not so much. Who knows what action they have seen or how they have been maintained.

My old poles work as good as the day I got them. I cannot say the same thing about my reels.
    :rofl:

Vintage are a different story. There are people who are collectors who don't even know how to fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Parker 2320
    Just my two cent opinion

I feel the same way about cars, but I can't seem to buy a low-mileage 2020 Subaru Forester Sport for $24K. Sellers should sell things for the prices I want to pay, not the prices they want to be paid.

Jul 17, 2017
    Tuna Grounds
    Name
    Gouryella
    Boat Name
    Lil Yachty
    Buy high, sell low.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Has Moderator Powers
    Nov 28, 2003
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Franks ho
    It's an interesting topic.
    Not everybody gets the initial purchase price that some get.
    Some take better care of their equipment than others.
    Some equipment has had upgrades or features that others don't.
    And some equipment is just a better quality than others.
    So when I see a higher price that I expect in a piece I'm interested in, I ask a couple questions to either confirm my suspicious or I'm told of upgrades and features.
    But everyone has the right to price items how they like.
    It's none of my business.

Upvote 0

Fish613

Almost A Member
  • Nov 21, 2020
    New York
    Name
    Yochanon Sofer
    Boat Name
    None
    This is the USA! Welcome to capitalism (whatever is left of it).
    The public decides the market, not you.
    As stated above if you don't want to spend that money - don't. Nobody is forcing you to buy it!

MYNomad
    MYNomad
    Your comment is likely to inspire AOC or some other libtard to insist that we need a government commission to set prices on used stuff, and that the existing system is inherently racist and rooted in white privilege.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat Name
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I have gotten great gear at great prices.
    Shit. Even a free reel from a BDER brother worth over $200.
    I will try to pay it forward in the future.
    I do agree some prices are eye opening. Just pass on those.
    Gottsta be quick sometimes as real good deals are gone as soon as they post.
    Some sellers hold items for me and some even meet up with my buddies I have secured gear for.
    I do not buy from other used markets.

Reactions: bducky and Vanmungo
    bducky
    bducky
    As a recipient of a reel worth over $200 from a fellow B.B.er I can attest to the paying forward from Pacific Scout. Offer to take you out fishing still holds indefinitely.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Caveat emptor... let the buyer beware. True, there is a supply shortage right now. Once in a while, there will be a good deal in the classifieds here. I look a few times a day. Just set your budget and stick with it. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Reactions: Fish613
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Yes
    To " MYNOMAD "
    I just stated a opinion. I doubt my comment is going to inspire any goverment commission to set prices on used stuff.
    Your comment is so typical of right wing conspiracy thinking. And I am not a left winger or a right winger as both parties a so fucked up I feel sorry for my grand kids.
    If I realized how sensitive you were, I would not have made my comment. It wasn't intended to offend you or to reflect on you in any way. Personally, I don't care whether you are a libtard or not. But there is nothing conspiritorial about my thinking -- if you pay attention to world events, you will see that it is true: capitalism is under attack as being racist and rooted in white supremacy. It is really time for non-wingers to pay attention and figure out what kind of country they want their grand children to have. If not, they won't enjoy the benefits of the most productive economic system ever invented. It has done more to eliminate poverty than any other system. And those other systems don't work except in dictatorships. So, if you want your grandchildren to be worse off than you, perhaps much worse of, with no ability to criticize the system or to vote for change, keep doing what you are doing. Now you can be offended, and rightfully so.

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Ive been waiting for someone to build a gunsafe type thing for rods and reels,An accurate or other high end reel is the same price as a nice smith and wesson nowadays.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Ive been waiting for someone to build a gunsafe type thing for rods and reels,An accurate or other high end reel is the same price as a nice smith and wesson nowadays.
    We've already got one.
    The Longfin

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Just my two cent opinion
    Could be, a lot of folks expect the prospective buyer to haggle, so they pad their price.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    LONG RANGE fishing
    I feel the same way about cars, but I can't seem to buy a low-mileage 2020 Subaru Forester Sport for $24K. Sellers should sell things for the prices I want to pay, not the prices they want to be paid.
    It looks like you may not be able to buy your 2020 Subaru Forester Sport for a while.

Reactions: Kevin A
    Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Chelsea Rae
    Lou
    So let me get this right.....if I have a reel that was used and is in great condition with a quality braid like JB Hollow 16 weave and not this waxy garbage or chinese knock off shit and do my research as to what a fair price is regardless of the scarcity of said reel.....I should discount a reel 20% and throw the braid in for free ?
    So tell me Lou.......do you really think a reel like a original Saltiga Surf 30 that may or may not be available loaded with braid that is as hard to find as hens teeth should sell for less than what the current market price is for damn near any original Saltiga Star drag because if you really believe that then I know you won't be interested in anything I will be selling unless you need some beat up jigmasters and those I will gladly discount 30% just for you and I'll even spool it up for you

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    I buy almost all my reels used, no complaints, pretty obvious if it's been taken care of. Good quality gear will last a long time with minimal care. Some reels tend to hold their value much better than others for a reason, junk will be junk.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Just my two cent opinion
    The old saying is you can always come down on a price, once it’s listed,
    Good luck raising it after ,Lol .

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    To " MYNOMAD "
    I just stated a opinion. I doubt my comment is going to inspire any goverment commission to set prices on used stuff.
    Your comment is so typical of right wing conspiracy thinking. And I am not a left winger or a right winger as both parties a so fucked up I feel sorry for my grand kids.
    Only Lou could shit on his own post.

Status
    Not open for further replies.