Discussion in 'Southern CA Sport Boat Trip Planning' started by geegorie, Nov 6, 2017.
I may join you
Work is taking us out on the Thunderbird Thursday night for a 1.5 day. Hoping for my first BFT
Sail flow shows pretty crap-ola conditions. Good luck out there.
Awesome company you work for, good luck and post a report when you return.
no way around it, those are pretty shitty conditions. I would call and postpone for the following weekend if it was me.
Also, last weekend was a full moon, that's why the numbers have been down. Just get through this weekend and hopefully the following will be better weather. The moon phase will be perfect, the fish are there!
Wish I could. Work schedule won't work next week. Guess, I will have to bring a helmet for when it gets really rough.
All next week.
This week, up to today, has been relatively nice. In fact, today is so nice, you have like 1 to 2 feet waves 80 miles offshore = lake conditions. This would've been the day to make a long offshore trip.
Next week, however, is going to be a shit storm, with predicted 30 miles per hour wind coming from the north and 7 to 9 feet short period swell offshore.
For this weekend, conditions are right on the border - on the way to becoming bad but not quite there yet.
I wouldn't go any where close to San Nicolas island or Tanner bank after the blow on Friday, but south and east of San Clemente Island seems okay. Will probably still get hit by short period swell coming from the north, though.
That said, I've gone on sport boats in the middle of a gale warning before, so you should still be safe; it just won't be comfortable. Private boats should stay home unless they're over 30 feet.
The question is whether the fish show up.
Some friends and I were hoping to go next weekend. The Navy is closing a big chunk of ocean S and SW of SCI on the 18th (Sat) from 7am to 2:30pm. Definitely includes the 81, possibly the 381 as well.
Right now there's a temp break on a SW-NE line from about the middle of the island, with the fish in the warmer water to the south of the break. Unfortunately the Navy closure on the 18th almost entirely covers the warm water side of that break.
No closures on the 19th though (Sun).
As for the weather forecast on the 11th, this is about as far west as you can get and still get a spot forecast. "Veterans Day WNW wind 5 to 10 kt. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 4 to 5 ft and SSW 3 ft. Wind waves 1 ft or less.
Remember - that 4 to 5 feet is without the wind swell. This is why, in the combined weather at the top of the page, it says 6 feet swell on Saturday, which is huge on a small boat but not that bad on a sport boat as long as the wind is okay, which it is.
We are scheduled on the Old Glory leaving Sunday night, this is the forecast I've been looking at: http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick....ox&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=283&map_y=228#.WgSC6YZrwck
This one is likely a better indicator.
it will be what it will, just hope the boat sells enough spots to run.
Well, I committed to going.
10-15 on 7' combined seas all sugared up with 2-3' wind waves
I will be on the O95 for a day and a half ride leaving the 15th. My last bestest most chance for a pb BFT. If the boat will go in the weather, so will I.
I guess the next question is when does the boat use a fish processor instead of cleaning/filleting them on the boat?
Thats for you to decide, not the boat
Good to know. I have never caught anything over 50 lbs. Hoping that changes on this trip.
Alright, boat leaves tomorrow. I get seasick sometimes but still haven't caught a bluefin yet. I already made reservations but they're letting me reschedule if I need to. Is it worth it or should I switch to another weekend?
It is going to be lumpy, no doubt about it. The question just becomes how long will the water temps hold. In my case I can go this weekend, but if I do not go I will not be able to go again till january. They will be gone by then. If you could go next weekend it might be worth it.
It will be fine...I have been in worse on a smaller boat...not to worry. It'll be fun.
Separate names with a comma.