Predictions on 2021 fall/winter used boat market.

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
chico ca
Name
Brian O
Boat
wellcraft v20
Last year or so has been a sellers market for sure. I truly believe a large percentage for covid buyer's are not going to be in it for the long haul. As restrictions easy and we begin to return to some normalcy, what ever that looks like. Will the used boat market swell and will it turn to a buyer's market?
My purchase won't be until end of the year anyway.
Just wondering what others are thinking about this topic. Maybe some of you are getting read to purchase soon and have some deeper insight. 😕

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    The economy is cyclical and so is the boat market. The question is when will the boat market turn into a buyers' market. Probably in two or three years which is typically the length of a recreational boat ownership. Many people who bought during the Covid-19 period will probably find boat ownership to be too troublesome and too expensive.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Doubt it will slow down anytime soon. If anything probably climb higher with all of these supply issues. Outboards already backordered until 2022.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Well my thoughts are the the sellers are pricing their boats at insane high prices, that no one in there right mind would purchase, used inventory will grow and grow and tides will turn to a buyers market..
    I recently sold my boat kinda before this all started inflating to the crazy prices. got a fair price.. I see boat for sale now that are nowhere as nice and or equipped as mine with asking prices 15 to 20 k more than i sold my boat for....

Its crazy

buyers wait it out...

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    Some good points, brought up. I don't think it will last that long, but my cristal ball has been foggy for awhile now.
    As clevel referenced the economy i.e. housing market will closely define what the boating market does.
    I still remember very well the bubble of 07', please understand I'm suggesting that is coming. However it changed everything overnight.
    I'm in the construction for most of my life, and there is a bubble coming. We have been rebuilding homes lost in a massive fire. All the homes being built in are area, the new home owners are upside down in their new home by the time they move in.
    The only reason it's still going on is because the interest rates are so low that the monthly is still affordable.
    Definitely not a sustainable future.

Upvote 0

Grandpa

Old Guy
  • Aug 15, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Albemarle Express "Lily Rose"
    With the amount of money the feds are pumping into the economy, things are going to be heated up for a while.
    Boat builders are out 1 to 1 1/2 years. Yacht builders are out
    2 to 5 years years depending on the build. Another reason
    the used boat market is crazy right now.
    Lots and lots of money out there…

Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    However things are right now, it's going to be like that for A WHILE.
    I hope you're right it's doing well for my business right now.
    All tho I feel we're living with then a very unstable economic time. All it takes is one hiccup to spoke the heard and about 90% of all those new boat orders can disappear over night.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I hope you're right it's doing well for my business right now.
    All tho I feel we're living with then a very unstable economic time. All it takes is one hiccup to spoke the heard and about 90% of all those new boat orders can disappear over night.

It will.

Our plan was to sell our house a couple years ago, bank on the profit and buy low when the real estate market made its downturn as part of the cycle.

That hasn't happened yet (obviously). And because things like that tend to take more time for me (call it God's prank), that means it will stay like that even longer.

I'm blessed with all the super important things in life, but the tradeoff is that the other things take much longer for me to attain. :)

Upvote 0