Predator Proof Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Keith Poe, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Looking for other ideas ?????????????

Was trolling down 2150' and saw something with the gyros and turned ripping the 1/4" bolt out i used to replace the broken gimbal pin later breaking the whole holder loose again same with all of them even set in 5200 through 2 x 6 and supported on the bottom.

I am getting some aluminum pipe and drill the rail and deck and install a one piece 2' long pipe with 1.5" ID so it will have some serious reinforcement and lock them in with 5200.

I can drill out diffrent holes for the gimbal pin for diffrent set ups.

Anyone do this ?

I figure with it solidly attached to the rail and deck drilled through them they will be bullet proof.

Going to use 1/4" wall pipe:2gunsfiring_v1: tired of rebuilding a bad design just does not work using monster gear dragging monster weight in the depths of Sword land.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=434oxWwi8E0

Attached Files:

2. ALUMINATOR

ALUMINATOR Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    27' self built
    I did mine almost the same. Using 2'' heavy walled alum pipe I welded it to the gunwale and mounted a 2x8 on top for the rail. Then drilled the wood over the pipe supports and dropped in a 90 degree rod holder into each pipe. It is very solid!! I will try to dig up your email and send you a picture.

3. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Dennis got your pictures, good job, looks strong.

Thank you very much

Here is what i tossed togeather today

Attached Files:

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    i backed up my rod holders by using 1" thick starboard that runs the length of the inside of my gunnels. it's locked in with 5200, then i used a hole saw to cut through the starboard and re-insert the rod holders through the top of the gunnel and starboardm then everything is locked in with stainless hardware. here in hawaii people constantly get their rod holders blown out by large marlins and ahis. by the way keith poe, i like your methodical and surgical method about big game fishing, it's nice to see the seriousness about the way you do your work.

5. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Hey Mike Thanks

If you have or can get any picture I would be intrested in see what you did on you ride.

You have to be methodical / logical locally in our back yard if you want to take on predators especially Monstaas and better bring your lunch if you are intrested in the king here especially this season there are so few.

Working the learning curve for Elvis is slow and necessary to be as methodical as possible especially alone.

I just cant get comfortable with the idea of takeing a guest out on a severail day trip basically learning devising system dialing in a system unique to our fishery with very few fish around and am also keeping some stuff close to my vest at this point.

Hopefully I can dial this in, in a perfect world and take as many people out as I have sharking.

Every time i think I have something dialed I get my ass handed to me realising i have more to dial in on the boat and gear as well as predator & prey and preys prey etc. like a domino effect and the chips keep slamming but very exciting in the learning curve.

Hopefully when they make a decent showing I know what to do and open up some UFC MMA punishment ultimate land predator style sportfishing.

If I do there will be a big BBQ 4 sure.

Attached Files:

6. ALUMINATOR

ALUMINATOR Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    27' self built
    I sure don't see any problems with this set-up!! Solid for sure..

7. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Thanks for your help Dennis

The 5200 is dry so after a little more tackle rigging I will test it and the trolling pate.

Hopefully all will go well so I can concentrate on hunting.

Attached Files: