Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Who is our precision machine guy here?

They quit making my broadheads and I can't find any for sale anywhere. Before I spend a bunch of money experimenting to switch up to something else I thought I'd see about getting some made.

If I were still running a machine shop I'd just knock them out myself but unfortunately I can't.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Are we talking broadheads for archery hunting here?

Reactions: mrfish11
Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    This doesn’t sound like a cost effective solution. I just can’t see how it would be cheep for a guy to make custom broadheads. Sure it’s a few dollars in metal but aren’t shop rates usually $75 or more per hour? Custom always equals expensive. I would suggest spinning some montechs on and giving them a try.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    I guarantee by the time you invest in the cost to machine, heat treat and plate, you would be hundreds if not thousands ahead to find a different broadhead to meet your needs. Plenty of time to dial in on a new choice before hunting season.

Reactions: mrfish11
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    This doesn’t sound like a cost effective solution. I just can’t see how it would be cheep for a guy to make custom broadheads. Sure it’s a few dollars in metal but aren’t shop rates usually $75 or more per hour? Custom always equals expensive. I would suggest spinning some montechs on and giving them a try.

I am intimately familiar with the cost of machined parts. I know it's not cheap. The ones I can't get anymore cost me $35 a piece and the ones I am thinking about replacing them with are $50+ a piece.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    I am intimately familiar with the cost of machined parts. I know it's not cheap. The ones I can't get anymore cost me $35 a piece and the ones I am thinking about replacing them with are $50+ a piece.

Why in the hell would you spend that kind of money on broadheads.... just go get some montechs and report back. There is zero chance it is worth 50+ a broadhead over 40 for three. Hell, I would shoot muzzy’s before I spent 50 each.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Why in the hell would you spend that kind of money on broadheads.... just go get some montechs and report back. There is zero chance it is worth 50+ a broadhead over 40 for three. Hell, I would shoot muzzy’s before I spent 50 each.

I don't care if it's worth it to you bud. It is to me.

You shoot your montecs. I'm glad they work for you. They are way too light and my recurve doesn't like them.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    Yeah we’re talking apples and oranges with compound and recurves... I should have figured you do it the “Barta way”. Good luck on your search bud.

Reactions: fishing fanatic
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Yeah we’re talking apples and oranges with compound and recurves... I should have figured you do it the “Barta way”. Good luck on your search bud.

I'm not familiar with the "Barta way" so I'll just pretend it's a compliment! 😁

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I'm not familiar with the "Barta way" so I'll just pretend it's a compliment! 😁
    Google it… Tred Barta, a legend in his own mind and a true survivor who is no longer with us… did it all the hard way! The “Barta Way”…. And… it probably was a compliment..

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    I drop out of a tree with a Cold Steel spear.

I've taken a deer with a spear I made before. I threw it from about 20 feet so not as cool as dropping out of a tree but still. I've been thinking about trying for an elk just to say I did.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Not sure you will find anywhere to legally hunt elk with a spear. Where did you hunt that allowed it for deer? Maybe you could build a pitfall or run them off a buffalo jump if you want to go all primitive on their asses.

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Name
    Big John
    Boat
    Classic MAKO 22
    So how is your flint knapping?

I have some big chunks of flint from the Cliffs of Dover. It was brought over during the colonial settlement days in coastal Georgia (Saint Simons Island) and used as ship ballast, then dumped when loading the ships with the wonderful old growth Pine logs to ship back to England. I picked the flint up from ballast piles out in the marshes along the Frederica River on the back side of Saint Simons Island.

When I shot a long bow I used Fred Bear heads with the razor insert. Worked fine. Sometimes the big Ben Pearson heads with the holes to reduce wind planing. My cousin used a 55 pound recurve and the same Fred Bear heads with no problem. If I were shooting recurves today I would use the Fred Bear head.

You should give the Howard Hill method a try: 105 pound long bow, 36 inch arrows built on 1/2 inch shafts.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    Before the shoulder damage I suffered from years in the league….I had a bit of a cannon.

Opening day of deer season my buddy’s missed three deer in the morning and I gave them a hard time that I could do better.

Well part luck and part because I could throw pure fire I took a 4 point down with a rock. RIP Barta!

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    To put it into your kind of words the "barta way" would be comparable to someone taking a 15 ft boat 80 miles offshore tuna fishing.....or taking a large bathtub with a sketchy ass motor and cotter pin prop connection out to sekiu...... or using a snow shovel as a paddle when that prop finally gives way and falls off. That should put in into perspective for you. ;)

And btw...I second the Montec G5 idea.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0