Kardinal_84

Almost A Member
Feb 12, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Name
Rudy
Boat
Hobie Outback
The Homer Winter King Derby is next week. Seems like a tough derby even off a powerboat with typically about 20% of the anglers catching fish. We've tried it the past two years off a kayak with no results. Argh. But perseverance pays so we are entered again this year. Should have 6 kayakers battling the powerboats.

So I have never caught a march King, powerboat or kayak. But I have been fortunate enough to land a King salmon from my kayak every month September through February. Amazing that we have the opportunity.

So the forecast calls of freezing spray and windchill in the negatives. But its supposed to get better so I make the drive down. Wind made it chilly but it did warm up.

Went one for two in four hours using green label herring. Most marks were deeper at 40 to 60ft over 10 ft of water. I caught mine in 30 ft down in 50ft of water. King had a bunch of tiny sand lances in it. Well it helps to have a little confidence going into the derby. Sorry no video, technical difficulties. 7 consecutive months catching a king salmon from a kayak!

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_3827.JPG

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Hard Core, buddy! :appl:

Upvote 0

Kardinal_84

Almost A Member
Feb 12, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Name
Rudy
Boat
Hobie Outback
Thanks all. Weather looks good for the 22nd annual Homer Winter King Derby! Tough derby. Typically only about 20% of the 1000 anglers catch a fish. We are trying to enter a fish off a kayak for the first time. I give it a 50/50 chance with I think 6 of us trying.

I know I am supposed to be concerned about global warming but I have to admit, I am sort of liking the short term impacts, lol. Living in Anchorage with the fishing a 450 mile round trip, I am grateful for the kayak. Too dang expensive and dangerous trailering an ocean worthy boat through the snowy mountain passes. I'm sold on these kayaks in terms of the flexibility and economics of getting on the water more often than I ever could from a powerboat. I have two, a river skiff and a 21ft center console....neither have been started in the past 5 years....
IMAGE_1AB91751-A41F-4676-BA56-D44B34D85335.JPG

king%2Bcollage%2Bsepmar.jpg

Upvote 0

Kardinal_84

Almost A Member
Feb 12, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Name
Rudy
Boat
Hobie Outback
Great picture, good luck in the derby. Never seen a sand lance, thanks.

Here's a pic of more "normal" sandlances from inside of a king. That's a 3/0 gamakatsu octopus hook. They are the predominant bait fish in the area according to trawl surveys.
IMAGE_199.jpg

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Fantastic fishing. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I truly miss catching salmon in the Kenai.
Andy

Upvote 0

Kardinal_84

Almost A Member
Feb 12, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Name
Rudy
Boat
Hobie Outback
Rudy, You are the Yoda of Alaska kayak fishing. Let's try to meet up this summer and I will shoot you a Seward fishing report every now and then.
LOL. Thanks Ben! Definitely, Let's Fish!!!!

I'm thinking about moving up to Whiskey Gulch/Deep Cr for April & May. I want to try and figure out a way to catch the reds without snagging when they show up in Seward. 0 for 2 on attempts but I want to keep trying.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2015
Seward, Alaska
www.his-hers-alaska.com
Name
Ben and Rebecca Pazdernik
Boat
Kayaks
Have you seen anyone without a mirage drive (regular paddling) fishing Whiskey Gulch?
We have never driven down the road to Whiskey Gulch either. You've seen our RV and trailer, do you think it could make it down there? A better question would be do you think we could make it out...?
As for the Seward reds, they are not imprinting in Bear Creek anymore. They imprint them on the other side of the bay by Spring Creek and the old saw mill. Since they have been doing this the fish tend to show up later. It used to be the first two weeks of June now it is more into July. For kayaking this is good news because it is an open shoreline and deep instead of shallow tidal lands.

Upvote 0

Kardinal_84

Almost A Member
Feb 12, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Name
Rudy
Boat
Hobie Outback
Have you seen anyone without a mirage drive (regular paddling) fishing Whiskey Gulch?
We have never driven down the road to Whiskey Gulch either. You've seen our RV and trailer, do you think it could make it down there? A better question would be do you think we could make it out...?
As for the Seward reds, they are not imprinting in Bear Creek anymore. They imprint them on the other side of the bay by Spring Creek and the old saw mill. Since they have been doing this the fish tend to show up later. It used to be the first two weeks of June now it is more into July. For kayaking this is good news because it is an open shoreline and deep instead of shallow tidal lands.

It is STEEP! I spin my tires on my front wheel drive civic. Having said that, there is a private campground to the North of the public spot and they always have BIG Rv's down there. I suppose with enough weight, slow and easy might get her done.

As far as a mirage drive goes, its definitely not necessary. You just need to have a decent grasp of what the current and wind is doing so you don't tangle up as you deploy. The problem of fishing wiithout a mirage drive is you can get carried down current pretty quickly as you deploy or battle a fish. Yesterday, low tide was at 4pm. I launched at 1pm. I stayed in front of the parking lot the whole time. Felt like I was pedaling pretty hard north, but I would glance over and realized I was just holding position relative to the shoreline. As the tide slowed down, I could go easily in any direction. Caught the fish around 2:00pm. Headed 100 yards in to the car immediately versus waiting several hours for the tide to change and bring me back up. That's why I don't just ride the tide. Conditions can get bad. You can catch a fish. I try and hang near the launch unless I know I am fishing all day.

Thanks for the intel on Seward. Let's fish!!!!

Upvote 0

Latest posts