thebigdog123

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
Can only imagine they got swamped, then the swells rolled the boat over.
Please you guys that run 20+ miles offshore in small boats...Be prepared with the proper
safety equipment, a CB radio is not good enough, a cell phone is not good enough.
A VHF radio and an EPIRB can and will save your life.

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Been pretty rough up here on North Shore, praying for a miracle that they find the crew of the Iwa safe and sound. This has definitely been a wake-up call for me (I fish solo alot).
I will be keeping my epirb in my pocket, texting my game plan for the day to my wife, and keeping up on maintenance for my boat. Also, I will be monitoring VHF Ch,16 better than I have. Stay safe and load da boat!

Aloha,
Justin

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
I am praying and hoping for the best.

It is a great big ocean out there and you don't have to get very far offshore here to get in to big trouble. Carry all of the required safety gear and inspect it regularly. A handheld VHF radio is also a good idea. If you lose all power the fixed VHF won't work, or if you have to abandon your boat, it won't be available.

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Hoping for a good outcome. Made me think about making an overboard kit with my PLB,inflatable PFDs and maybe a hand held floating VHF. Like Justin I often fish solo.

Reactions: JimmyK

rsokolowski

Jun 26, 2009
Wahiawa/Hawaii/USA
Name
Roy Sokolowski
Boat
currently boatless
Prayers for the family, the fishermen, and the USCG that they are found. Like others have stated a 406 MHz EPIRB or PLB should be a required piece of equipment when fishing in a small boat in rough water and a hand held waterproof VHF is also a good idea. File a float plan on where you are going to fish, who is going with you, and what time you are returning. If within cell phone range update the plan via text (if possible) if the plan changes. From personal experience it is sometimes best to just not go if it is too rough, in a small boat it only takes one large wave at the wrong time to get into trouble. If at all possible stay with the boat. Even if it overturned it is something to float on and is much larger and easier to see than a head bobbing in the ocean. Be safe out there and remember the ocean does not care if you get home.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
This is a wake up call to all of us, especially those that fish solo. I've put off getting a low profile vest for a while and just ordered one last week. My personal epirb is long expired, and I don't use a harness. Time for all of us to stop procrastinating, and use this unfortunate event to better prepare for the worse. I've been praying and will continue to for the fishermen, families and all involved. Aloha no a malama pona, a hui hou.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
It's a shitty ass feeling for the families. :(

rsokolowski

Jun 26, 2009
Wahiawa/Hawaii/USA
Name
Roy Sokolowski
Boat
currently boatless
This is a wake up call to all of us, especially those that fish solo. I've put off getting a low profile vest for a while and just ordered one last week. My personal epirb is long expired, and I don't use a harness. Time for all of us to stop procrastinating, and use this unfortunate event to better prepare for the worse. I've been praying and will continue to for the fishermen, families and all involved. Aloha no a malama pona, a hui hou.
You can pick up a PLB (406 MHz) at Westmarine for under $300.

Reactions: JimmyK

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
So been thinking long and hard about all of this since Monday morning (4AM) when I got down to the boat, Mike was there getting their boat set up when he told me about a missing boat off of Haleiwa. I hadn't even checked my phone yet, if I had I would have seen plenty of messages about the "Iwa" on Instagram.

We headed up towards Kaena, out to CO and outside; saw the fixed wing aircraft and Cutter on the horizon obviously conducting their search in a methodical way. Hoping to see/find something, but knowing that is a daunting task (it brought back memories of when that small whaler was missing after one of the Haleiwa Tournaments years ago, we were out that day as well). Our day ended without any hopeful signs. It wasn't until we got back into cellphone range did I realize who we were looking for (never checked my phone in the AM).

Some of my thoughts have been somewhat selfish; what if it were me or one of my crew, would we be prepared. I never was a boy scout, preparation one of their mantras. I know I could be more prepared, but I naively believe I am somewhat invincible. Certainly I have done some very risky things in my past, I am getting older, less coordinated and not as sharp upstairs, maybe I am not invincible and never really was, just damn lucky.

So I am sure I will still take risks, but more calculated and somewhat mitigated. Time for some new personal safety equipment, solo not my preference, but do not shy away from it, some would say stupid, and they are probably correct. Leadering fish w/ the boat in gear, no life vest, PLB, nothing just an attitude it can't happen to me. That must and will change, will still go solo, just w/ more stuff on.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are for Jenson, Clint and Derek as well the Families and friends, the search teams, may the outcome be the best possible. Below is a link to an old BD post from Jenson and their banner day in the 2011 PHNSY tournament (the 2016 tournament is this Saturday), his girlfriend at the time was the Tournament Queen.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/pearl-harbor-fishing-torunament-7-9-2011.342507/
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/media/phnsy.110428/

Pat

Last edited:

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Regardless of prep anything can and will happen off shore. Bigger vs smaller boats play some part, however as usual pros and cons. Bigger boats can sink quick leaving nothing to stay with. They usually have a lot more that can go wrong like multiple through hulls.

Thoughts with the three fisherman and their families and friends.

My $0.02 on safety prep:
- wear suspenders life jacket
- must have a zipper pocket in suspenders lifejacket, most do, to insert and tie on plb
- tie off a rescue streamer (invented in Hawaii) so that it rests inside a pocket.
- have a large bail bag with 4 life jackets, gallon of bottled water and full size epirb and maybe a handheld vhf.

I carry a life raft in a valise and take it out from below every trip next to a bail bag with epirb and lifejackets.

A long time friend and former capt actually commented as we were leaving the dock that it didn't inspire a lot of confidence. Human nature. Remember that NFL player off Florida?

Let's all learn a lesson from this.

jumanja

Jul 7, 2008
Hawaii Kai
Name
Captian John "Big Johnson"
Boat
Malulani "Smells Like Fish" 23 Glaspro
As a licensed commercial and charter captain, I would never leave a boat adrift knowing it was without power. McGyver or not, conditions that far out can change in a minute and were already questionable for a boat of that size. Boats adrift are subject to everything the ocean has to deliver. I know Ahi fever had a little to do with it. If someone had stuck around until their motor problems were resolved, we wouldn't be talking about it now. As all fishermen should know, you can lose sight of a floating person in 2 or 3 waves. If 3 people become separated even momentarily in seas....well I'd rather not say. Stay with the boat if its floating, find a rope, hang on to the motor, what ever, stay together. It's your best chance for survival. It is truly amazing that the hull was spotted by the coast guard. That almost never happens.

Personally I have cleared the lines and put the throttle down when my friend says his motor died. Make sure their radio is sending / receiving, got a message off to coast guard and coordinates. I don't care how good the bite is. I've driven over porpoise schools cussing and swearing, but you gotta go, that's all there is to it. I covered 40 miles hunting his ass down just to find that the coast guard beat me to it. Oh well, that's just what you do, entire fishing trip shot, burned a bunch of gas and never got to fish, but my heart felt good knowing I did the right thing.

Other friends had motor problems at the pinnacle, called the coast guard, the Pan Pan went out, and not one boat would stop to render aid (middle of ahi season). 20 or 30 boats passed in clear view while the crew waived their arms and blew whistles. It wasn't until the coast guard cutter, deployed from base, arrived to give aid. What a bunch of douche bags that knowingly passed this boat in distress. Point is, what goes around, comes around. I'd rather have a favor owed, then a debt to pay. Self sacrifice is it's own reward and feels pretty good too. What feels really shitty, is when you read a story like this. My hope and prayers go out to the families. May God grant a miracle to these young men and make wiser men of us all. Carry a easily deployable ditch bag with epirb.

Captain John

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Last edited:

thebigdog123

Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
As a licensed commercial and charter captain, I would never leave a boat adrift knowing it was without power. McGyver or not, conditions that far out can change in a minute and were already questionable for a boat of that size. Boats adrift are subject to everything the ocean has to deliver. I know Ahi fever had a little to do with it. If someone had stuck around until their motor problems were resolved, we wouldn't be talking about it now. As all fishermen should know, you can lose sight of a floating person in 2 or 3 waves. If 3 people become separated even momentarily in seas....well I'd rather not say. Stay with the boat if its floating, find a rope, hang on to the motor, what ever, stay together. It's your best chance for survival. It is truly amazing that the hull was spotted by the coast guard. That almost never happens.

Personally I have cleared the lines and put the throttle down when my friend says his motor died. Make sure their radio is sending / receiving, got a message off to coast guard and coordinates. I don't care how good the bite is. I've driven over porpoise schools cussing and swearing, but you gotta go, that's all there is to it. I covered 40 miles hunting his ass down just to find that the coast guard beat me to it. Oh well, that's just what you do, entire fishing trip shot, burned a bunch of gas and never got to fish, but my heart felt good knowing I did the right thing.

Other friends had motor problems at the pinnacle, called the coast guard, the Pan Pan went out, and not one boat would stop to render aid (middle of ahi season). 20 or 30 boats passed in clear view while the crew waived their arms and blew whistles. It wasn't until the coast guard cutter, deployed from base, arrived to give aid. What a bunch of douche bags that knowingly passed this boat in distress. Point is, what goes around, comes around. I'd rather have a favor owed, then a debt to pay. Self sacrifice is it's own reward and feels pretty good too. What feels really shitty, is when you read a story like this. My hope and prayers go out to the families. May God grant a miracle to these young men and make wiser men of us all. Carry a easily deployable ditch bag with epirb.

Captain John
I never heard that they were spotted adrift by other fishermen, and left to fend for themselves. Wow, that's some serious bad karma and a guilt trip that will last a long time. Unreal. Don't know what else to say.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
was this boat disabled and not assisted on that day by nearby boats? hopefully not
karma is a bitch

we have towed 3 boats in from that far off-shore (one time a big fancy boat was waiting for another boat to show up and help and we did the right thing w/ our 45 yr old Bertram) - we helped another one that had its i/o leg all fouled up w/ Dacron line, they didn't have a radio 20 miles off-shore or any tools apparently - they popped of a smoke flare which is how we knew they had a problem and pulled in lines and ran over to them, and we put a guy in the water to help w/ a mask and a knife for 45 minutes until they could get going

best way we can remember these fishermen is by doing the right thing out on the water

tight lines,

Reactions: rsokolowski

irieboy8

too fat to surf.. now i fish
May 24, 2012
honolulu
Name
eric
Boat
16 Whaler
Sad sad events..... i hope the families can one day find some normalcy or closure in the distant future.... their is no consolation. For me this reminds me the ocean is always in charge and i need to take better steps to be prepared for anything....

captwill30

Sep 7, 2015
Honolulu
Name
Empty Pockets
Boat
27 Grady-White
We were out that day and it was no joke!!! Sad to see another fisherman lost they life!!! RIP to my fellow fisherman may god watch your soul!!!

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
This should be a wake up call to all of us out on the water. No more procrastinating for me, got this "ACR ResQLink plus 406 Personal Locator Beacon" for $249 from Amazon.

I figure if you can afford to have a boat, then you can afford to get a personal locator beacon, for yourself and your loved ones sake. This one has the 406 MHz satellite signal,121 MHz homing signal, floats and the battery is good for 5 years. $249/5 years comes out $50/year, isn't that affordable life insurance in case you need it? Works for me. Thoughts and prayers for the families of those lost....

Last edited: