2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
FG is stronger and thinner... Oops my bad, I thought OP was comparing to the RP knot, which is significantly less strong than the FG. I have no experience with the PR knot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
The PR has proven to have a slight strength edge in testing (around 10%), but it must be tied the same way each time. Change the wrap at all and you'll change how the knot behaves under load. The FG is nearly as strong and much faster to tie with a little bit of practice. In fact, I've successfully taught 8 year olds the FG. It's also much thinner if your knot has to travel through the guides when casting.
For me, it's the FG ninety percent of the time, but I'll switch to the PR when rigging heavy jigging and popping gear. That said, BFT north of 500lbs. have been successfully landed on the FG knot by some East Coast guys.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Rizzuto FG knot is the way to go. Use it on all my reels and never had a failure. The rizzuto won't come undone, the hitch FG knot will after going through by the guides so many times.
    Here is a tutorial if your interested.

Reactions: SUPSquatchFish
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Well tested and widely accepted the PR is generally stronger. But IMO, the increase in "knot" strength of the PR isn't worth the time, effort, and hassle.

Hence, the FG gets my vote for its relative strength, ease of tying, and smaller profile.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Chill out, guys. Look at who's asking the question. Remember when you were young and still thought that there were right answers to important questions like "better" whether knots or cars or colors of girls hair.

Let him have his dreams. He gave up Santa Claus, now he's in that phase where he will pursue attachments to brands of cars and bands and sneakers. God, I miss those days! Way too short of a time in life.

Upvote 0
    Apr 5, 2014
    Fort Campbell, Ky
    Name
    Reginald
    Boat
    US Army
    PR for me using a Shimano Bobbin. Ill typically do all my connections the night before to avoid doing it on the boat. But it typically takes me 2 minutes or less if I had to do it, just make sure you have a torch and not a lighter if doing it on the boat. I haven’t had any issues with the PR and comes out of the guides really smooth.

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    For me ,any new technique that one is trying must be tested the way you do it, otherwise one is lettings someone else pack their shoot.

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    I did 3 tests for FG and 3 for PR Bobbing knots(130 braid to 130 mono). All 3 times the FG broke in the middle of the knot and PR broke away from the knot so the answer for me is PR.

Upvote 0