PENN

The Dr.

Almost A Member
May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
Fished the PQ on 6/1 with the rest of the fleet. First two fish hooked at 6am, deep on flatfalls, both fish pulled off. Finally got a school to stick with us from 11am-3pm. Very difficult to get a bite. Most flyline fish were hooked on 40lb line and size 1/0 or 1 hooks.

I look down the rail and see one of my buddies unbox a fresh Colt Sniper, tie it on and drop it in, after a long drop he gets bit 200ft deep. Fish is mean and takes 2 guys and the deckhands 1.5 hrs to land. Estimated 140lbs, on 50lb line and the stock treble hook, which was almost straightened out!!

I did get bit around noon on a flyined dine, 40lb Seaguar Gold, 1/0 Charlie Brown hook. Had the fish to gaff an hr later, only to have it head shake a foot under the surface and break me off!! So lame! I drank a beer collected myself and grabbed my yo-yo kit for the next stop. 2nd school we slide into I slide back the Colt Sniper with the chum and get picked up soon after. This time I'm on 60lb leader and can pull hard. I landed that fish in under 20mins, a solid 70ish fish.

Note...I had swapped to a Owner Jobu 7/0 hook. Kit used Phenix Axis 720XH, Andros 12NSii, 65 braid, short 60lb flouro leader.

Final count for the day 20+ hookups, 10 fish landed 25-140lbs. Sounds like we did about the same as the rest of the fleet.

70ish fish on green Colt Sniper
ct6E0pS.jpg

140lb on Katie Perry Colt Sniper
bRFEwIT.jpg

ZPAhelJ

ZPAhelJ

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
:appl:

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Was it on the slide, cast to boil or just jigging at a bait stop?

Upvote 0

c-nut

Fishing addict
    Mar 2, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    TBA
    great intel and nice report. Colt Sniper on the slide, good on you doc!

Might be in for a little Katie Perry on the slide next trip out

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Sacto John

Almost A Member
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Name
    John Humphreys
    Boat
    1987 11'4 Boston Whaler Super Sport
    I was on the Shogun last week and 3 of the 19 bluefin that were landed were on some sort of Iron during the pick bite. Two on a green and silver Yo-Yo (I do not know the band) and one on a Green Mac colored Megabait, so it looks like jigs are definitely worth a try if you are having a hard time getting bit on bait.

Reactions: Olddog8 and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

7raptor

happy to be here
    Sep 18, 2004
    The Islands
    Name
    yup
    Boat
    A Big One
    Fished the PQ on 6/1 with the rest of the fleet. First two fish hooked at 6am, deep on flatfalls, both fish pulled off. Finally got a school to stick with us from 11am-3pm. Very difficult to get a bite. Most flyline fish were hooked on 40lb line and size 1/0 or 1 hooks.

I look down the rail and see one of my buddies unbox a fresh Colt Sniper, tie it on and drop it in, after a long drop he gets bit 200ft deep. Fish is mean and takes 2 guys and the deckhands 1.5 hrs to land. Estimated 140lbs, on 50lb line and the stock treble hook, which was almost straightened out!!

I did get bit around noon on a flyined dine, 40lb Seaguar Gold, 1/0 Charlie Brown hook. Had the fish to gaff an hr later, only to have it head shake a foot under the surface and break me off!! So lame! I drank a beer collected myself and grabbed my yo-yo kit for the next stop. 2nd school we slide into I slide back the Colt Sniper with the chum and get picked up soon after. This time I'm on 60lb leader and can pull hard. I landed that fish in under 20mins, a solid 70ish fish.

Note...I had swapped to a Owner Jobu 7/0 hook. Kit used Phenix Axis 720XH, Andros 12NSii, 65 braid, short 60lb flouro leader.

Final count for the day 20+ hookups, 10 fish landed 25-140lbs. Sounds like we did about the same as the rest of the fleet.

70ish fish on green Colt Sniper
    ct6E0pS.jpg

140lb on Katie Perry Colt Sniper
    bRFEwIT.jpg

ZPAhelJ

ZPAhelJ

How great is that Andros 12!?

Upvote 0

The Dr.

Almost A Member
    May 5, 2015
    Name
    Kenji
    Boat
    Ranger 521VX
    How great is that Andros 12!?
    Seriously! I've landed some nice YT up to 35lb on it. But was worried about line capacity for the tuna.

With the 65lb/60lb set up, I pulled hard and stopped that fish dead in it's tracks. I got it to the boat so fast, it was really green and head shaking like crazy before they gaffed it. Amazing power for such a small reel.

Reactions: Sacto John
    Upvote 0