PowerPro Depth Hunter Info

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
So it's time for me to swap out lines for my 3 day trip this July on the AZTEC. Normally over the past 5 years I've been using Jerry Brown Hollow Core and have liked the results except for the "twists" hollow core gets especially when repeatedly flat falling jigs. I was contemplating this year spooling up with the new Shimano PowerPro Depth Hunter. However, I see no information on line diameter so I can compare against JB or even MaxCuatro.

Anyone, know where to get that information OR has spooled any of their reels with it? I'd be spooling a Mak 15t - 16sea -30sea in order with 80-100-130lb. Thanks in advance.

C
Castlepadre
I love it for my large flat fall/knife jig setup, helps with depth measurements which is critical. It is solid, so i spliced in 50feet of the same Lb hollow and spliced in a loop for loop to loop wind-ons. Boom
Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Found this one with diameter in inches.

Power Pro Depth Hunter Braided Line
Marked every 5' with a black hash/tick 4 color line (Blue, Yellow, Green, & Orange) changes every 25' Perfect for jigging or trolling when trying to let out a precise amount of line. Advantages of Braided Line over Monofilament No stretch allowing for better hook sets! Lets you feel even the softest bite! Thin diameter allowing for long distance casting!

Power Pro Depth Hunter

PowerPro Depth Hunter metered braided fishing line is ideal for jigging and trolling. PowerPro Depth Hunter allows you to target fish at specific depths of the water column and set up trolling spreads with lures at precise distances.

Made in USA
Lb Test8lb10lb15lb20lb30lb40lb50lb65lb80lb
Inches Dia..005.006.007.009.011.013.014.016.017
MM Dia..13.15.18.23.28.33.36.41.43
Equiv. Mono Dia.1lb2lb4lb6lb8lb10lb12lb16lb17lb

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2017
San Diego
Name
Joe Curly
Boat
None
The information used to be readily available on the (North American) Powerpro page. Can't find it now, or it's gone/removed. Can still be found from their European country site.

When I was researching different braid manufacturers, I was looking at mostly line diameter. This was the manufacture reported data for 80lb line, which I'd assume would be the minimum backing you'd want for flat falls.

BrandModelTestDiameter
(lbs)(mm)
BerkleyProSpec800.4
ShimanoMaxcuatro800.41
ShimanoPowerPro800.43
DaiwaJ-Braid Grand x8800.43
DaiwaJ-Braid x8800.43
Sufix832800.45
Jerry BrownLine 1 Solid800.457

Two key lessons learned...

1) MFG reported specs are a baseline starting point and not necessarily the be all and end all for decision making.

2) Even with MFG reported values, there is a a fair amount of variance in actual diameters (both thicker and skinnier). A guy named Paulus once did a lot of research and studying and proved this and the variance to ABS when comparing apples-to-apples.

Can't comment on the "twistability" factor for one brand vs another. I personally have not experienced any higher tendency to twisting on my lines used for flatfalls. Perhaps others can help with that one.

Upvote 0

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob
Boat
None
Man, I wish this thread came up yesterday! Just had a Fathom 40N spooled at the shop yesterday and went with Nomad Panderra 80lb to save a few bucks. Only fit 350 yards to the top 😕

I looked up the dimensions afterwards and that stuff is thick as hell.

Upvote 0

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Thanks guys super helpful thanks so much jmch75 ! Yes, goldfinger I almost made the mistake of buying that Nomad stuff too but when i saw the diameter I said hell no! I found a smoking deal on Berkley Pro Spec from these guys in China...I used Paypal for payment incase these guys are full of #@!* https://www.salefishingrods.com/products/Berkley-ProSpec-Metered-Braid.html
With that said I'm trying now to decide to what to do with my Makaira 30sea.....do I spool it with hollowcore Jerry Brown Patriot line or go with Power Pro Depth Hunter Stuff solid core? I'm also toggling back n forth do I go with 200lb or 130lb line? I can save money actually going with 600 yds of 200lb and have room for a served 200lb fluro connection into the hollowcore. That 30sea would take that combo perfectly. However is 200lb braid overkill???

Reactions: goldfinger81

jmch75

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2017
San Diego
Name
Joe Curly
Boat
None
What lb mono/flouro do you plan to fish the majority of the time? That might help answer your braid question for the MAK-30.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Thanks guys super helpful thanks so much jmch75 ! Yes, goldfinger I almost made the mistake of buying that Nomad stuff too but when i saw the diameter I said hell no! I found a smoking deal on Berkley Pro Spec from these guys in China...I used Paypal for payment incase these guys are full of #@!* https://www.salefishingrods.com/products/Berkley-ProSpec-Metered-Braid.html
With that said I'm trying now to decide to what to do with my Makaira 30sea.....do I spool it with hollowcore Jerry Brown Patriot line or go with Power Pro Depth Hunter Stuff solid core? I'm also toggling back n forth do I go with 200lb or 130lb line? I can save money actually going with 600 yds of 200lb and have room for a served 200lb fluro connection into the hollowcore. That 30sea would take that combo perfectly. However is 200lb braid overkill???
Twist happens regardless. Having a super strong swivel somewhere in the jig chain can help. For bait, I just spin it out every now and then—or cut off the twisted end and retie. As a word of caution, I foolishly made a Maui Jim too-good-to-be-true purchase with PayPal, and they were of zero help when I filed a grievance for the fraudulent sale. Never got a refund nor the glasses!

Last edited:
Reactions: esgeo
Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Something fishy about that pricing.

For a 1500yd spool of Prospec metered braid 80 or 100lb - $82.41 is way below wholesale.

Its really nice line. Super thin. Very slick. If tying an FG 20 wraps. Bimini twist at least 50.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    So it's time for me to swap out lines for my 3 day trip this July on the AZTEC. Normally over the past 5 years I've been using Jerry Brown Hollow Core and have liked the results except for the "twists" hollow core gets especially when repeatedly flat falling jigs. I was contemplating this year spooling up with the new Shimano PowerPro Depth Hunter. However, I see no information on line diameter so I can compare against JB or even MaxCuatro.

Anyone, know where to get that information OR has spooled any of their reels with it? I'd be spooling a Mak 15t - 16sea -30sea in order with 80-100-130lb. Thanks in advance.
    Jerry Brown makes a Hollow depth marked braid - Decade.
    The Power Pro depth-marked is solid.
    Decide what you like to handle, whether you want loop-to-loop at the end, and make the choice.
    Perhaps, consider a needle line-insert connection of only 200 yards (600 feet) of new depth-marked line, on top of your core line. If your basic braid is sound, perhaps you don't need to replace ALL of it.
    Personal views may vary.
    Tight Lines,

Reactions: jblineone
    Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    That site is a scam, no question about it. Scammers have figured out how to beat the Paypal buyer protection measures, which is why quite a few scam sites take it now days. Sorry for your loss, but there is such a thing as too good to be true. They count on the insanely low prices overriding your better judgement. See this link, their URL is number twelve on the list. https://www.alanhawk.com/blog/zmb.html

Reactions: TOTW

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    Here's maxcuatro diameter chart

Screenshot_20200928-162230_Google.jpg

Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard

Tell us how that purchase goes, this website is listing Penn Visx’s for 250$.
    Their address is also: Zhongshan West Road Lianyun District
    Lianyungang, Jiangsu.
    It’s not legit and you might not even get what you bought

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    The sub-$90 price sets off the scam alarm klaxon. In 2019, I was looking for 100lb metered braid, and the best price was Berkley ProSpec 1500yds 100lb Metered...$149.62 after tax from Amazon.

It was listed as shipped from an Amazon warehouse so at the very least something would be delivered to my doorstep. Whether it is legitimate ProSpec is a different matter...but it held up just fine on the 8-day I needed it for.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    If I can offer some friendly advice? Go to Alan Hawks website and read his blog article on scam fishing websites and how to spot them. Alan is quite intelligent and has definitely done his research. This could save quite a few folks a considerable amount of trouble in the future.

Upvote 0

buoy3

Mar 24, 2008
    So Cal
    Name
    Viet Bui
    Boat
    n/a
    I recently had a Penn 20 VISX spooled with the 130lb Depth Hunter and got 600 yds with enough room for a short leader. For comparison, I got 700 yds of 100lb Izor solid on a Makaira 20 with enough room for 20yds of 100lb mono topshot. Hope that helps and good luck on your trip.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    That site is a scam, no question about it. Scammers have figured out how to beat the Paypal buyer protection measures, which is why quite a few scam sites take it now days. Sorry for your loss, but there is such a thing as too good to be true. They count on the insanely low prices overriding your better judgement. See this link, their URL is number twelve on the list. https://www.alanhawk.com/blog/zmb.html
    If it was a scam .... watch your credit card charges carefully.
    We almost ordered a dog blanket from a CCP-controlled location site, had entered data but did not execute, and our card was nevertheless charged for other stuff - payment denied, but we had to cancel the card.
    Tight Lines and Tight Wallets

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Anyone have the formula? For boat scope? Is it even possible? Maybe MYNomad

Take that into consideration. Unless 100% up and down no boat lift :D

Upvote 0