jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
Looking to buy a power rapper. I have heard that some have better chucks, etc. but dont know which ones.

Looking for ease of use. Will probably be doing lots of repairs or rewraps of old rods for myself vs fancy wrap work.

Have been to the bd class a few times , cant make it with my schedule these days

Upvote 0

gryder

Jul 20, 2014
Name
Gilbert
Boat
Tangina
+1 on the alps unless you can afford the renzetti and be done.
IMHO the alps is the best bang for buck power wrapper out there

Reactions: Mtnfshr
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I have the Alps and it's been everything I've needed. The thread carriage sucks for extreme decorative work, but for simple wrap work it's more than adequate.

Some day I may upgrade to a renzetti, but for now I'm pretty happy.
update your thread carriage

I have a thread on here some where that I made a thread carriage, and another where I bought one showing it and where to get it.... they both work much better than the one that comes with...
do a search .. I have no idea how to find the the pasts threads.... lol....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    I have not had success with the Alps thread carriage either! I use thread bobbins and have done lots of inlay work using them.

Reactions: Mtnfshr and gecsr1
    Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    used custom power wrap. I bought the first one they made with a lathe chuck. that was back in 1988, I think. I still have it and it works great. my friend bought me another for wrapping a couple rods for him. I use one for turning down grips, and thread art, and the other for wraps. if you can afford it , a renzetti is nice, but there's lots of parts, and adjusting.

Upvote 0

rodblder

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    none at this time
    used custom power wrap. I bought the first one they made with a lathe chuck. that was back in 1988, I think. I still have it and it works great. my friend bought me another for wrapping a couple rods for him. I use one for turning down grips, and thread art, and the other for wraps. if you can afford it , a renzetti is nice, but there's lots of parts, and adjusting.
    Hey Rick,
    I've had my Renzetti(clemmons) for 25 yrs now, not a lot of parts and nothing to adjust, maybe the new ones are different ,it works just fine but I don't anymore!!

Reactions: MATTANZA
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Look for a used CPW , Custom Power Wrapper. I have 2 that I picked up for around $200 each. The local tackle shop has one that they have been using on a daily basis for over 20 years. I have used mine for 15 years with zero problems. A good quality no nonsense machine especially if you can find a used one for a good price.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    Hey Rick,
    I've had my Renzetti(clemmons) for 25 yrs now, not a lot of parts and nothing to adjust, maybe the new ones are different ,it works just fine but I don't anymore!!
    I had a renzetti , new in the box, I was too lazy to put it all together.... laura sold it on craigs list for 500 bux in 2 seconds. I wish we had it now. much better machine for serious wrapping. I had to "fix" my cpw's thread carriage to accept 6 spools, 10 would be killer. i'm building a lathe for cross wraps, something compact, with a 12 spool carriage.

Reactions: rodblder
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    update your thread carriage
    Hi Gary, I have. I also did reach out per your recommendation but the guy told me he was out and hasn't gotten back to me since. I'm pretty good now, although I would really love to have a carriage that could track well and also lay down 3 threads with adjustable tension. Hopefully he will get back to me.
    I have a thread on here some where that I made a thread carriage, and another where I bought one showing it and where to get it.... they both work much better than the one that comes with...
    do a search .. I have no idea how to find the the pasts threads.... lol....

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    I had a renzetti , new in the box, I was too lazy to put it all together.... laura sold it on craigs list for 500 bux in 2 seconds. I wish we had it now. much better machine for serious wrapping. I had to "fix" my cpw's thread carriage to accept 6 spools, 10 would be killer. i'm building a lathe for cross wraps, something compact, with a 12 spool carriage.

post a couple pics of your thread carriages ;)

Upvote 0

K. D.

Apr 20, 2011
    Bremerton, WA
    Name
    Kerry Hansen
    Boat
    RIVER SLED
    I have a CPW that I got back in early 80s before Anglers workshop bought the rights to it and owned the design. Heavy chuck that does not slip and it is going strong. Only thing I have had to replace was a drive belt. I expect it to last as long as I am on this earth and hopefully my Grandson will continue on.
    The one difference between the CPW and others is that the thread is on the near side of the blank and not coming from the back like the renzetti. I learned eons ago if you are going to buy something, buy the best you can so you don't have to buy a better one later. Look on this and other site of all the discussions on "CHUCK UPGRADE".

Kerry

Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
    Aug 20, 2010
    Sequim, WA USA
    Name
    Grant Darby
    Boat
    Which one?
    X2 on Kerry's post. My CPW is better than25 years old, and I just replaced a perfectly good motor when what I had was a bad speed control.

Upvote 0

fullfrzr

Almost A Member
    Dec 16, 2005
    San Bernardino
    Name
    Ray Salvador
    X2 on Kerry's post. My CPW is better than25 years old, and I just replaced a perfectly good motor when what I had was a bad speed control.

Added the Alps upgrade Chuck, oh my why did I wait so long to get a self centering chuck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Retired1

Fishing n Music
    Jun 3, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    Jailbait sold
    Hey Tom, I have an Alps wrapper with an upgraded chuck. If you are buying new, I don't believe there is a better power wrapper in the same price range. Good luck! Tight Lines!
    Thanks to the Tuesday nights group I met with who gave me great advise and more info that I could have absorbed in one evening after the long drive from Las Vegas. It was a fun night to have met all you gracious folks I have since ordered and recived my Alps upgraded chuck thru get bid and was on sale for 379. I am now in the process to make my work table with my non existence carpentry experience. Thank you again you get fellows especially Cmepen whom i met on Father's day at Squidco and directed me to getbid and saved a few dollars.

Reactions: gecsr1
    Upvote 0
    Jun 8, 2014
    Forest Grove
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Any Long Range Boat
    I have a renzetti this is buy far the best rod wrapper there is you get what you pay for the thread carriage hold eight spools and has awesome tension. I had a power wrapper for 25 years it was fine but the thread carriage sucked. Buy once get a renzetti.

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    Sorry to bump... where is the best place to buy alps power wrapper with an upgraded chuck? I live in Orange County. A local shop? Online? Island tackle? Eager to start wrapping

Upvote 0