Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Why did you post this in "Shimano Fishing Gear" forum?

CardShark

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 6, 2015
Ventura, CA
Name
Mario
Boat
Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak
I'm guessing it's probably because Power Pro is owned by Shimano

Truiz21

Apr 13, 2014
Name
Tyler Ruiz
Boat
17 ft gregor
I'm glad someone asked about this line. There are no specs on it and I was wondering if anyone has any experience w this line, good or bad. They share are proud of it though it's expensive.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Dont you work in a tackle store??????? Shimano owns power pro so its probably a good forum to ask. Hopefully the shimano rep can chime in for the guy.

And to answer op question, make sure you wind on the spectra very very tight and you should have no problems.

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I got to feel it at the FH show and it is a very noticeable difference. If you use a topshot, I'd imagine you just pack it super tight. Not sure about using straight spectra as packing it tight really does no good after the very first cast. I'd only use it with topshots or if I was to use it straight, I'd use it on bass/lighter fish.

My 2 cents, don't know if I'm correct and I'm sure you could use the larger line sizes without it digging in.

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
For diameter #80max = #65pro / #65max = #50pro / #50max = #40pro

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
For diameter #80max = #65pro / #65max = #50pro / #50max = #40pro
I think people are looking for exact diameters and ABS to figure out if we want to switch to max cuatro. I really don't like the feel of PP but if it's thinner than JB 100, a lot of us would probably buy a ton of it.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
If you pack it on really tight, like have a friend use gloves tight and it burns the shit out of your arms when your reeling, it shouldn't dig in. The spool should feel rock hard. It should be so tight that your first few casts, drops or fly lines has resistance (when using a short top shot). Another tip is when your winding it on, zig zag the spectra at a more horizontal angle every so often. This will also help keep the spectra from knifing in with high drags.

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
I think people are looking for exact diameters and ABS to figure out if we want to switch to max cuatro. I really don't like the feel of PP but if it's thinner than JB 100, a lot of us would probably buy a ton of it.
#80 is .41mm / #65 is .36mm / #50 is .30mm not sure about 100lb but based on the trend it'd have to around ~.43mm

Reactions: Wildman

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
If you are thinking of loading your reel , you can step up a line class and still put on the same yardage, basically.

diabolicaldog

Jul 24, 2009
Somewhere quiet.
Name
mike
Boat
It will be interesting to see the real breaking strain numbers in relation to diameter rather than the nominal numbers on the box.

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
You guys are overthinking this. It's still Power Pro, you load the line the same way as you normally would. Maxcuatro is just a little thinner than our standard Power Pro line. It will only dig if the line is too loose on the spool just like it will with any braided line. The breaking strength is the same as standard Power Pro.

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
You're right Dan. BUT since regular 100# PP is .018" and MC is "25% thinner" then it's .0135" so my Accurate BX2 400 would get about 484 yards of 100# Maxcuatro. Of course this is just an estimate using the Accurate line counter tool. Your results may vary. I imagine Maxcuatro opens up greater possibilities to do the small reels big fish thing with this reel or a Talica II of similar size. I'm considering spooling 100# Maxcuatro on all my rigs to increase their versatility. Cheers...
Our "25% average smaller diameter" claim is based on diameter compared to our own brand. I know that the 80 and 100 sizes are noticeably smaller in diameter than standard Power Pro. You can see it and feel it.

wwen

Jig & Pop
Aug 19, 2014
La Costa/Carlsbad
Name
Edward
Boat
One day
Thanks for the info guys. I'm skeptical in LR conditions where one is doing a long soak and then winding all that line back without a fish under finger pressure. The next bait out gets picked up and digs in since it's impossible to reel it in rock hard under finger pressure. In theory, it sounds like a good way to fish for largers with a small reel loaded with 100#. It seems one must be mighty careful winding this line and even with zig-zag winding, I can't help wondering about the high likelihood of it digging in on the ends of the spool as it goes out under a high drag when hooked up.
From what I have read.
It matters more how the deep, inner levels of braid is packed than the outer layer. So unless your bait goes way out then it shouldn't dig.

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
Dan,

Could you send some 10-12 foot samples to one of us? I'd love to see some independent testing on this. I'm interested in using this on a popping rig in PV and on my 100lb rig.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
If you are all worried about not having enough tension reeling in without a fish on a long soak, do what I do...just cross about 6-12 anglers, then start reeling in...reeling in all those lines will give you all the tension you need to pack your spool nice and tight each and every time you wind in! LOL

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Dan,

Could you send some 10-12 foot samples to one of us? I'd love to see some independent testing on this. I'm interested in using this on a popping rig in PV and on my 100lb rig.
Why not just go to a tackle shop and buy 4 yards

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
I've only seen it in 500 yard spools. I haven't seen anyone carrying bulk spools and the tackle shops that carry it don't seem to know a whole lot about the line.

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
We are out of stock on MC line right now. Everything we have been making is going out to the dealers right now.