Power Pro Depth Hunter Offshore - Will it help with Bluefin Flat Fall fishing?

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
The last few years I've found it invaluable to have my spectra marked at 100ft increments when fishing for big bluefin with flat falls in the dark. I've had success with sharpie marks (one mark at 100, two at 200, etc.), and have even gone so far as to insert small pieces of mono into my hollow braid to indicate depth and be able to feel it pass through my fingers in the dark.

But now, it looks like Power Pro has finally come out with a version of their metered braid in 100ft increments, available in 80lb and 130lb. Since it only comes in solid, this limits the hollow-to-hollow inline splice (when you do a stepped-up backing) and knotless loop to wind-on leader. It's back to bimini twists, I guess.

Anyway, just wondering if others think this is worth a try? (I just bought a spool, so will definitely be testing it out at some point).

When the captain says they're coming through at 350 feet, how confident are you that your jig is in the zone?

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
The line sounds like it might be useful. You won’t always start at zero, so some simple arithmetic. Remember to also figure for the angle caused by the drift And that’s a little geometry. 😁

Reactions: strackle99

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Every 100' is better then most.

Still have to be able to see it in the dark.

I do marks every 50'

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
The line sounds like it might be useful. You won’t always start at zero, so some simple arithmetic. Remember to also figure for the angle caused by the drift And that’s a little geometry. 😁

Zero is the color and mark on your spool before you drop with metered line.

Presenting the lure to fish at a particular depth is something that was worked out long ago,
search "Dendoh" fishing.

I'm sure not going to be changing out Daiwa boat braid for any power pro crap when I was using it before PP was trying to deal with the waxy buildup coming off their line and then fading out.

Do I sound bitter?

I am.....fuck you to any of the dickheads that remarked on my "purple line" or my "red line" standing at the rail.

It's not just Bluefin,
doesn't it make sense to be able to present the lure to a fishes face now that such good electronics enable us to know what that depth is?

SilentViper

Fishing fiend
Aug 21, 2012
Buena Park
Name
Jimmy McGinness
Boat
1980 Skipjack 24 open
I have a Talica 25 filled with PP Depth Hunter (non offshore) and found the color system to be extremely helpful flatfall fishing on the RP last July.

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
I use metered braid on a few of my slow pitch setups. One thing I've found is that the darker color transitions are harder to see at night on a sport boat, unless you're next to a deck light and REALLY paying attention. I don't use metered braid (or the slow pitch setups!) for big bft fishing at night. I find the sharpie marks on white spectra much easier to keep track of... YMMV

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Does anyone know any shop that has it? FL bought a spool but it's gone now and they're waiting on backorder for more.

Levelartist

• Oct 6, 2017
    Long Beach
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Susan
    Does anyone know any shop that has it? FL bought a spool but it's gone now and they're waiting on backorder for more.
    The guys at Melton tackle international have some, I just got my fathom 40NLD fixed w/ 80# offshore by mistake they thought it was the normal Depth Hunter. I was going to have them unspool the line and put the correct one I asked for but I decided to keep it, don’t want any of the guys get in trouble for bumping 430yds of braid by a simple mistake.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    The guys at Melton tackle international have some, I just got my fathom 40NLD fixed w/ 80# offshore by mistake they thought it was the normal Depth Hunter. I was going to have them unspool the line and put the correct one I asked for but I decided to keep it, don’t want any of the guys get in trouble for bumping 430yds of braid by a simple mistake.

I should have thought to try Melton's; I ended up buying a 1000y spool and doing it myself.

What did you want the regular depth hunter for? There is an added bonus to the Offshore Shimano doesn't mention, and that's that there are black marks every 20' or so within the 100' sections of color, so it's actually very nice for accurate jigging. None of the colors are very dark, which is good for night bites, but haven't really tried it at night to confirm. Just kind of annoying they don't have it in 100lb

Upvote 0