Powder Coating half towers...maybe?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Hox57, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Hox57

Hox57 It's all about the Grand kids

Name:
    Gary Hoxie
    Boat:
    Tale Chaser
    I am in the process of removing aluminum half tower on my cuddycon and getting it powder coated or painted. I was 99% sure on getting it blasted then powder coated, but after talking to some of the shops, they don't sound too sure of their own products durability-maybe 5 years? Sound a bit conservative to me. Anyone have any recent experience with this in past few years? I hear there is a UV additive, but have not confirmed that. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks,

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Powder coating is pretty bullet proof if done right. What material is the tower made of???

3. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
  4. Hox57

Name:
    Gary Hoxie
    Boat:
    Tale Chaser
    Aluminum

5. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    The only problems I've had with powder coating is on security doors and they have a lot of nooks and crannies that the coating can miss. This is where you have rust problems and they are steel. Your other option would be to have it anodized...

6. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    my powder coater does a primer coat as well as powder rated for outdoor use. there are different qaulities of powder. i'll be powder coating mine.

7. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I would do a pretty good search on this topic if I was considering this, as I have heard some not so great things about powder coating t-tops and other items for use in the Marine Environment.

There are lots of talk on this subject if you do a search and take some time to read. I can't say I haven't ever given this some thought myself, because I have.... but so far it seems I have read more cons vs pros, and I wish it was the other way around.

Good luck with your choice!

The unknown Bieberman:p:

8. cioppino

cioppino Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
    Lots of research when I recently had my tower off my cuddycon 226. Options included powder coating, anodizing, painting, or getting it coated with LineX. My top had some pretty bad corrosion so I knew it had to be sanded or sand blasted. Nobody out here seems to be set up with the linex products for the marine industry and the only place I found that could use a rhino/linex type coating wanted 1200$. I looked into painting it and powder coating it. My powder guy quoted me a price that was about the same price as what just buying the paint would cost so I opted to powder coat it.
    They sand blasted, primed, and put a nice thick coat of finish powder on it. Came out perfect. The shop did the main t top and tuna tower for $275. If I get 5 years out of it, it will have been well worth it. Its only been a couple months, but so far so good.

9. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    Brother, talk to Kelly at Specialized Coatings in Huntington Beach. He powder coated everything on my 55 Chevy from the frame to the rear end to every bolt and bracket in the engine compartment. I did this because I live one block from the ocean and was afraid of rust, and this is on steel and aluminum.
    Recently I have a tower put on my boat and took it to him to have it powder coated and he told me I should last for years and years. It's aluminum and they sandblasted and put a dual coat on. They also did my lean post. They are awesome and great guys there and do phenomenal work. Can't say enough.

Attached Files:

10. Hox57

Name:
    Gary Hoxie
    Boat:
    Tale Chaser
    Great feedback on this; I appreciate the information. I had good luck with the powder coat on my 226 back in the early 90's - I think I'll do some research in the types of powder coatings. Seems odd when I spoke to 2 different shops, they never once mentioned types or quality of powder, nor did they "offer" to prime; I had to ask....go figure?

11. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Powder coating will last a long time if prep correctly, sand blasted and cleaned , use a two stage a color coat and a clear coat , you get better durability, My son owns www.dbgconcepts.com , and has been powder coating wake board for years... ( for both saltwater and fresh) .
    But you also have to take care of it as well, clean and was once in a while.....

He also does some fishing towers.....

12. R&R

R&R Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    CABO 226
    I powder coated mine on my Cabo 216. I own a powder coat and media blast shop in Riverside. As a fellow BD'r and Cabo owner I can definatly hook you up.

13. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I have done powder coat(three stage with primer) in the past and I would expect 5 years before it really looks bad. I think I would go paint in the future. It's thinner, doesn't chip and it's repairable.

Either way, it is much cheaper than going new.

14. gecsr1

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:

You can always use compound on powder coat and bring back the finish... as it weathers....

and if you get a common color u can always touch up chips with touch up paint.....

15. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Its all good unless you get a chip in it,alu oxide will form where you have bare alu and then will start to lift.The rail on my 44 Luhrs was powerder coated,was about 6-7 years old when I bought it and you could see the spots forming.Looks great when new,I think the 5 year deal is about right.Tom

16. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    This is what I was talking about. Once it's chipped you're pretty much f'd. The same thing will happen around all the screw holes with time. It's just thick and flakes like a potato chip.

This is why I would prefer properly applied paint.

marlyn likes this.
  17. 40Grit

40Grit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brown
    Boat:
    Radovich 34
    Great Thread, Recently we did a big fiberglass project for the folks who own Embee powder coating, Here in Santa Ana.
    I have mixed opinions on paint vs powder coat.

We exclusively will sand blast, and Paint, using an Alodine conversion, basically an acid and neutralizer. Cromic acid. this gets the dirt from the pores. followed by, strontium chromate epoxy primer. this is the system that Aluminum Mast manufacturer's use. We then use an epoxy top coat primer, and finally Alexseal or Awlgrip.

They also use an etching process Phosphoric acid, Alumaprep. its all about getting the crud out of the pores to prevent Fillform corrosion, this is where it looks like worm holes.

I think I would be hard to get this kind of prep or conversion with powder coating?

It would be interesting to hear what the Embee folks would have to say?

18. R&R

R&R Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    CABO 226
    The bait tank on the Grande is powdercoated.

If you go with powdercoat don't get cought up in all the fancy colors. Gloss colors will fade faster then most low gloss colors. Pick a color that can be touched up if it gets scratched. My tower got blasted, 2 coats zinc rich primer, and top coated in a low gloss seashell white super durable top coat. You have to maintain the tower wether it's wet paint or pcoat. Use silicone in all screw holes. If you see corrosion under either type of coat grind the area and touch it up. Now I must say my boat hasn't seen water yet. But with taking the proper steps and Maintaining the finish wether paint or Pcoat will be the determining factor.

I recently got a new powder that sopposubly was used to coat metal boat dock parts that have been under water in NP harbor for 1 year straight with no issues, were regular powder failed. It comes in a light blue color. I'll keep you guys posted it could be a very nice coating especially for engine parts n wat not.

19. gecsr1

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    no matter what process you use, it will require a little maintenance once in a while...LOL....

nothing is forever....

20. delta 43

delta 43 Member

Name:
    carl
    Boat:
    43 delta Windsong
    Had specialized do the tower on ours 5 years ago and it looks like the day we picked it up. They did a prime coat with a grey finish. Just tell them it's for a boat. Yea I know they should know but...