http://www.newamericancen
Oct 1, 2006
Pasadena
video.google.com
Name
Jason
Boat
Parker in the future
Has any one tried or is currently pouring their own lead fishing weights?

I figure I would save money in the long run but not sure how complicated that is.

I can also pour my own jig heads too....

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

calicopro

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2003
La Mesa
Visit site
Name
Larry
Boat
17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
I just started pouring my own leadheads about 4 or so months ago. It's pretty cool. I've got a little wooden table out on the balcony where I plug in my melter, and throw in some lead. It takes about 10-15 minutes to melt. I've got some heavy duty gloves, and safety glasses that I wear. And I try to avoid breathing in the fumes (there aren't many since I'm in open air).

I would estimate that I've saved alot of dough. I got my melter for about 50 bucks, some molds off of ebay, and do-it-molds website, some lead from ebay....all told I'm into it for about 150 or so bucks, but I've already poured 100+ lead heads of various sizes (1/4oz to 2.5oz). Plus I can play around with with hook sizes, and brands to suit my needs. I paint them, and put on eyes, and blah blah blah......

Upvote 0

jfirey2001

Agent
Jul 13, 2005
San Clemente
Name
Jon
Boat
Old
Alan Tani posted a really cool tutorial on pouring your own lead, lemme look for it and I will post the link. I am fairly certain it was on this site, but may be on another.

Upvote 0

Genelie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 13, 2004
Lakeside,ca
Visit site
Name
Gene Horner
Boat
210 Triumph 21' genelie
I poor my own once in a while, I have a 1, 2-1/2, & 4oz slide wieght maker, its kinda of cool.

Upvote 0

N J Mello

Lead Dog
Feb 6, 2007
Hemet, CA
Name
Neal J. Mello
Boat
21' Sea Ray 'MelloW DayZ"
I pour my own sinkers for salt water fishing - a local tire shop supplies me with free lead in exchange for a new bucket once in a while. The smaller, freshwater stuff I don't bother with, they are so inexpensive, but the heavy salt water fishing weights can start to add up.

I use an old chain link fence post top as a mold and just drill a hole close to the edge - I drill the hole pretty close to the edge, leaving just enough of the lead to hold the clip, if it snags on the bottom the clip will pull through the remaining lead and I usually just loose the sinker, but the rest of the tackle comes back intact. I just clip on another sinker and keep fishing - no great loss since I get the lead free. I vary the amount of lead I cast into the mold and get a variety of different sized/weighted sinkers.

I just use a stainless steel pot on a one burner camp stove to melt the lead and a stainless steel ladle to dip the molten lead. Just do it outside, wear welding gloves and safety glasses and don't bend directly over the pot - you'll be fine. I don't think the fish are put off by odd size/weight/shape sinkers and I just want my tackle back if it gets snagged underwater.

Upvote 0

Butty

Almost A Member
Jul 20, 2006
San Diego
Name
Phil
Boat
none
You know that familiar sweet smell you smell when the lead starts to melt? Those that pour their own lead know what I'm talking about, well, FYI it can kill you.

Upvote 0

Az.monkey

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
Yes it is toxic as it is lead.
How would this work for the group......Just a thought so don't beat me down

Tom has the molds and I have the lead ,can we work together saving each other $$ by sharing, or is this a crappy idea... just something to ponder

Upvote 0

Kurt

Mistadobalina
Jul 9, 2003
Clairemont
Visit site
Name
Kurt
Boat
%%%%%
Oh damn, I thought that was fresh bread. Crap

I have molds and lead but I have so many weights from the last pour they are every damn place I look. The boat weighs an extra 100 lbs, they are all over the garage, in the pontoon, the truck, pretty much everywhere.

Upvote 0

hung380

Apr 30, 2007
newbury park
Name
hung
Boat
2006 trophy pro 1902
I dont know where to get free lead but I paid 1.00 per pound and I usually cast 12-16 oz. weights for rock fishing. Still cheaper than buying them at the tackle stores.

Upvote 0

murderNmako

Capitan
Jan 15, 2007
Valley Center
Name
Bryan
Boat
24 skipjack
tire shops.. It sucks i threw away a little over a ton in 02 when i was moving and had no way to transport it!! damn that sucks.. I am back in the scouting market my self, all i can say is usually you can get it for free from tire shops...

Upvote 0

drdiesel

May 11, 2007
Escondido
Name
Thomas
Boat
when I win the lottery
Poured my own weights, and no shit dont breath the fumes @ all! it will make you sick and feel worse than any hangover you've ever had!!!!!!!

But it is pretty cool

Upvote 0