Potential NOAA Bluefin Ban

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Jul 28, 2014.

1. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Here's the most recent IATTC report, including recommendations on Bluefin tuna:

http://www.iattc.org/Meetings/Meetings2014/July/PDFs/IATTC-87-03d-Conservation-recommendations.pdf

This has been posted here before. It quotes stats from the ISC and IATTC. Stocks are reported at 20% of historic levels. This also reveals the source for the claimed 44,000 bluefin remaining, it's really 44,000 tonnes. That's typical of CBD playing fast and loose with the wording.

http://www.iattc.org/Meetings/Meeti...uefin-tuna-fact-sheet-and-recommendations.pdf

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. XL1

XL1 XL1

Name:
    XL
    Boat:
    www.excelsportfishing.com
  3. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    your vote matters.

elect people who will do your work.

it is that simple.

4. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Well, here's a thought. In the 5 years I've been doing this sport (still a noob) I've never once been surveyed when I've gotten off a boat. Not once. If you're counting fish being harvested wouldn't you actually go to where there are fish being harvested? - especially if we are such an integral, massive impact on the numbers. Hell, that reminds me - I still need to send in my steelhead report card (hint, hint...) Are the boat captains reporting BFT numbers?

Wouldn't be surprised if there is no data.

5. js_lind

js_lind Member

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    -
    This petition is brought forth by the same group of anti-access liberal douch-bags that successfully closed a large portion of the Glamis sand dunes using selected science which convinced the BLM that the dunes were home to an endangered weed. When it was all said and done, and a study performed by unbiased real scientists, it was proven that the weed was not actually endangered, but a portion of the closure remains in place anyway.

Everyone needs to respond. These guys have a lot of money and they are very dangerous. They were able to close the dunes partly because of the apathy in the off road community. Let's not let them close the BFT fishery.

Here is my response to the petition:

I strongly disagree with the proposed petition to close the Pacific Bluefin fishery to recreational fisherman. In my on the water observation, over the past 4-5 years, the pacific bluefin population along the pacific coast continues to thrive and grow. This observed growth, in both numbers of fish and size of fish, is in the face of increased commercial pressure from south of the US boarder. Not coincidentally, during this same time I have personally witnessed a growth in the bluefin population, the Mexican government has began to enforce a quota on it's commercial bluefin fleet. With the regulations on the commercial bluefin fleet now being enforced, the small number of fish taken by the recreational angers has no impact on the bluefin population. There fish are very difficult to catch recreationally and it is not often that a recreational angler lands more than one or two in a day. I have been on dozens of fishing trips out of San Diego over the past 10 years and never once have I taken a daily limit(5) of Bluefin. This is typical of the average San Diego angler.

Additionally, the group behind this petition, The Center for Biological Diversity, has been know to use bogus science as a method to limit public use of land and in this case water. I urge the team responsible for ruling on the petition to research and consider the "Peirson's Milk Vetch" case, before relying on an scientific data put for by this group. After years of legal wrangling and millions of dollars spent, it was determined the science put forth by the CBD that resulted in land access closures was not statistically valid. I would bet the same tactics were used here.

6. Tautog_17

Tautog_17 Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    The report that their filing refers to can be found if you browse through their website. Interestingly enough, the report contains no references for (1) when it was published or (2) what sources the data came from or (3) who the individuals were the collected, summarized and published the information. Tonight, I'll post the report...it's on my home PC.

7. XL1

XL1 XL1

Name:
    XL
    Boat:
    www.excelsportfishing.com
    Well done thanks!

PLEASE ACT NOW! Follow this link to comment on our Bluefin fishery! Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Click on link below. When Page opens Click on the Blue "Comment Now" Button. Be sure to fill out all of the mandatory fields.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2014-0076

8. UCT

UCT Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    just coastin
    I suggest that a form comment be prepared addressing certain points. Then it can be copied and pasted by the members. In that way, inconsistent positions aren't taken. Also we need data to rebut their contention. For example, one point that can be addressed is bag limits. They argue that on a 3 day trip, we are taking 30 BFT each because that is the limit. However, they ignore the fact that there is a daily limit for total fish in your possession. How often does a boat limit out on BFT in CA waters without any other species being kept? I would say never. I think if we band together we can defeat any rules for the recreational fisherman

XL1 likes this.
  9. Tautog_17

Tautog_17 Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    Here's the full report...NO RECORD of who authored it or where the data comes from or who collected the data, or how the data was collected. Any report that NOAH generates is fully documented..traceable to where the data came from and who collected it. If groups are going to petition them for rule changes, they ought to be held to the same scientific / data integrity standards. Otherwise, decisions will be made on unverified information.