Potential NOAA Bluefin Ban

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
  2. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    you fish whats available and do what you can to make it better! And be thankful that we get to enjoy our sport as often as we do!

reellady likes this.
  3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Personally have not fished bluefin since I target longer range fish. I felt last years bluefin bite was good for the fleet.

4. Redline

Redline WFO

Name:
    DK
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    WWF and especially the CBD don't want fishing period. NOAA and NMFS will be sued by the radicals to stop the fishing. One of the arguments was to place a 50% catch limit on the annual take and then keep that figure as a binding number into the future. 50% of what??? There is virtually a non-existant commercial fleet in California. (Oregon and Washington don't fish for BFT commercially) 50% of nothing will leave us nothing. 44,000 spawning fish left? If Mexican seiners took half of that this year why are sportboat skippers saying they have NEVER seen so may BFT before? The whole rest of the Eastern Pacific school must be just off the coast of SD/LA. Get in line for next year's lottery to catch one of the 10 BFT we will be allowed to take.

5. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

I hate this stuff. The party is over. I'm glad I'm 62, instead of 22, because no 22-year-old will be fishing for any kind of ocean gamefish by the time he is my age.

We are politically and ideologically completely outgunned. We now have several generations of voters who were raised viewing animals on TV and in film talking to each other like people, and watching sea lions act like dogs at water parks.

Bambi, Nemo, Little Mermaid and her friends — you can chuckle all you want, but we have effectively trained the majority of our population, now isolated in urban areas where there is no REAL animal life, to empathize with the critters and to protect them at all costs. All the general public needs to hear is the siren call of their "experts" (with their socially constructed pseudo-scientific paradigms) to line up like lemmings and follow them off the cliff.

Can't catch BFT? Then I'll kill YFT? Won't let me catch YFT? Then I'll kill YT. Then bonito, then mackeral, then opaleye.

I'm gonna keep fishing 'till I can't. Just to say I did.

And, especially, because I love it so very much.

stripin, PCH, Jaydog and 3 others like this.
  6. Chasntuna

Chasntuna Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    The one I choose to ride.
    BFT have always been a "bonus" when LR fishing and rarely a target species. I guess if one were to specificly target BFT, it might be a game changer. For me personally, like Hermosa Joe, I fish because I can; regardless of what the quarry is, because I love it and I'd bet there's a million others with that same thought. There's still YFT, YT, Wahoo, Doroado and many others. I don't get to fish very often living 2K miles away from SD, so to me, it's more than the fish. Being on a a boat, no phones, a good drink in the sun and breeze with new friends is what it's about to me. I wouldn't cut my nose to spite my face (or that of the fleet) just because a beauracratic machine is "threatening". The way to combat it is to CONTINUE FISHING!

john e. and arkansastuna like this.
  7. joetunaguy

joetunaguy Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    Fukushima brings forth such political grandstanding.

8. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    The reason I disagreed with Brian is because I believe that Bluefin is a target species.
    What an opportunity, to have a shot at catching a triple digit tuna so close to home!

9. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    I personally don't buy into all the so called scientist BS who's agenda are they pushing so they ban bft fishing are the rest of the countries going to do there part I really don't see it let them restrict the quota's on the commercial fleet and let the recreational fisherman have there shot I know great idea the money machine will not buy it and the opportunity to catch 3 100 lb blue in a day was priceless I don't think Ill see another day like that but I'll keep lookin for it

10. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I do not believe that the science justifies banning our recreational fishing for these fish. I need to be convinced. I'm open to the idea. But, as that old Wendy's commercial said, "Where's the beef?!" I need to know what kind of survey's have been taken, what kind of data has been collected. I don't know any of that and I'd sure as hell like to see it.

I could really go off on this. But, I'm holding back. At this point, given the lack of a commercial fleet in our waters, they are just targeting us - you and me. I don't know about you but I took two BFT last year after a lot of trying- A week on the water. I saw plenty of big breezers of these beasts. They are there. They aren't easy to catch.

A-YO Lures likes this.
  11. garety

garety wishin i was fishin

Name:
    garet
    Boat:
    t15
    So how many Tons of BFT does the sport fleet take in a year? maybe 100 tones, (I am assuming 50 good trips that take 2 tons of BFT, 100 fish ~40 lb average) Regardless of the exact amount, Any one see the Mexican commercial quota, something like 10,000 tones.

I hate to point out the 800 LB gorilla in the room but the sport fleet is just a drop in the F#$%ing bucket and we get lumped in with the commercial guys for restrictions

Furthermore Last time I check sports men generate between 5-8x the economic impact per lb of fish caught and kept depending on species and how you look at it. I am talking about the jobs created as a result of us spending money on expensive rods, reels, lures, clothing, fish processing, trips, boats ect.

And on top of this the recreational licenses for just fishing brought in more than 65 million dollars to the state last year, Commercial only 5.7 million. While the commercial fleet catches something like 80% of all fish caught in the state.

The public takes it on the chin, and pays equally for the effect of industry :( we should honestly be writing congressmen and senators, rather than bitching here :(

As for mexico closing Mexican water I think it is just one of mexicos ways of sticking it to the san diego fleet since none of them will move down to Ensenada.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    A-YO Lures likes this.
  12. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    A pretty multi-faceted problem. Just to pre-emptively turn aside harsh comments, I don't believe a ban on fishing BFT in US waters is justified. The recreational catch is a drop in the bucket compared to the net pens (probably even one net pen) in Mexican waters. The concern about breeders is also justified, and they are getting scarce. These are the giants who, in the Pacific, basically reside on the other side of the ocean. It's only (almost only) the juveniles that come to the Eastern Pacific. The recreational catch by SD boats is essentially all juvenile fish, even those triple digit fish that we covet and the take of those fish hardly at all affects the population of spawners on the other side of the ocean.

Having worked with folks plugged into tuna commissions and regional management councils, I see their actions as predictable and often based on politics and economics rather than biology, and admittedly, occasionally on misleading data ( a long story---data can be misleadingly biased by the means of collection). To rant against biologists is unfair and just misplaced anger. Try to remember that NOAA is part of the Dept. of Commerce---get it? Commerce. Biology often isn't paramount in decisions made concerning fishery resources, especially those with international implications.

13. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I personally know two IATTC biologists. They are pre-eminent authorities on bigeye. Yeah they will readily admit that changing one or two variables in the population models will give you an entirely different answer, but those models are the best science they've got. Over time, if they continue to point in the same direction, there's something to it. Anecdotal observations of bluefin by the LR fleet need to be severely discounted. Hell, more than half those crews couldn't tell a bigeye from a yellowfin, so what's their observation of bluefin worth?

I hate CBD much as the next guy. Their business model is to file lawsuits and get their legal costs reimbursed. Much of the science they use is bogus or severely flawed (see Pika ESA listing due to Global Warming that was shot Down), but in this case the science is coming from the IATTC. The IATTC is funded by the member countries. If their reports have the bluefin at 4% of MSY, then the bluefin is in serious trouble. The Magnuson Stevenson act would call for drastic curtailment, even stoppage of fishing effort, until the stocks were restored. Sadly, in this case I'm siding with CBD.

14. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    if the fear of low level stocks of the Pacific Blue fin tuna why not hit it where most of it goes. Yes its Japan. They consume 70-80% of the Pacific Blue fin that is harvested.
    Why make everyone else hurt when what we take is so minute in the bigger scheme of things.
    Put a ban on them, give them lower takes, give them some type of moratorium, or a window of harvest and heavy fines.

Oh and yes I was born and raised in Japan and lived there several years so Ive seen the heavy consumption of seafood

15. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    good to see you're still around Bruce...
    imo biology and its studies aren't the problem. thier studies and the derived stats are manipulated to fit a commercial and ideological agenda long after completion. the problem is the economic/political system that corrupts the research, its outcomes and public opinion.
    statistics are like people- if you torture them long enough you can get them to say anything.
    tom

BiggestT likes this.
  16. Chasntuna

Chasntuna Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    The one I choose to ride.
    Thanks for disagreeing and rebutting publically - good for a healthy debate! What I stated was BFT are a "bonus" and rarely a targeted species (as most years, they don't show and / or are too elusive to warrant a worthy search) - kinda like Albacore. I might have reworded the "rarely" to "not as frequently targeted as YFT or Cedros YT". I will agree 100% that if they're there - they are targeted, but I still think it's the exception. As for the BS science and it's agenda - 100% spot on. No different than emissions (vehicle / plant) and a host of other bull shit "scientific" findings. As Dave said "where's the beef". Didn't you hear that Wendy's stole that phrase from Al Gore?
    Hell - I live on the east coast now and still prefer to fish / catch BFT on the west coast; it just wouldn't deter me (and hasn't) from booking a trip IF the BFT didn't show!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Well, I can tell you from firsthand knowledge... In the realm of medicine and pharmaceuticals, major studies are often bastardized, their results completely mangled. I've been involved in studies and have seen it happen. Then, the B.S. conclusions are handed over to the AP and publicized. The last study I saw was the largest of its type ever carried out, here at the local university. When the data started pointing to a conclusion the funders didn't like the study was stopped and shelved. Science is so dead in America, so f'n dead. This is why I want to see the data on this. BiggestT - if you know somebody who has the data please tell them we'd like to see it.

Bill W and shellback like this.
  18. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    There isn't any scientific data. This is how they roll, if there isn't any data we can't argue the data. Discussion over. All there is is to take their word for it, they are the "experts and scientists"......like, "there's only 4% of the world BF stock remaining"...if you don't agree with them they publically burn you at the stake.

19. UCT

UCT Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    just coastin
  20. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Although they report a decline in landings, they don't anywhere report CPUE (Catch per unit effort); this is just as important as total catch. There is mention of 197 boats in the fishery in earlier years (80's and 90's), but only mention of 6 small purse seiners after that. Makes it very hard to explain what relationship there might be between availability (stock) and catch. Assessing any fish stock is a logistic and practical nightmare. Whether you believe any stock assessment or not, you have to admit that it is damn near impossible to reasonably assess any fish stock----it is usually done by evaluating CPUE, or in some cases by evaluating shifts in average size of individuals (shifting the population to younger age classes). I don't know what the condition (numbers) the stocks of juvenile BFT in the Eastern Pacific are in; unfortunately, I don't see much in the way of evidence that anyone else really knows either.

On the other hand, sometimes erring on the side of conservatism isn't a bad idea. The worst scenario would be to realize you've f#%ked up and it's too late to reverse course. What a pitiful epitaph it would be to read something like "they saw it coming and hadn't the foresight to prevent it."