Post photos of your catches with the new PENN "Slow-Pitch Jigging" rods and reels

PENN

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The new specialized Battalion SPJ rods and Fathom reel models from PENN for "Slow-Pitch Jigging" have been available long enough to allow for some catches to be reported.
Post up pics and details of your successful forays into the SPJ world.
Please, "Slow-Pitch" only in this thread!

Anyone with interest, please follow the link to our "PENN Fishing University" Facebook page, and give it a "Like" and "Follow".
PENN Fishing University | Facebook

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I'll get it started.

Steve ling 3 RESIZED.JPG

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

SLOW PITCH JIGGING RODS

Battalion II Slow-Pitch Series

BATSPJII100C68L – 6ft. 8in. Light Conventional Rod

• Jigs up to 100gr. weight
  • Up to 20-pound braid
  • Small-medium fish species like shallow water rockfish, mackerel, sand bass, sculpin
  • Recommended Reels: PENN Fathom II 8XN Star Drag (FTHII8XNSD)

BATSPIIJ250C68ML – 6ft. 8in. Medium Light Conventional Rod

• Jigs up to 250gr. weight
  • Up to 30-pound braid
  • Medium fish species like lingcod, rockfish, bonito, calico bass, halibut; best all-around “inshore” model for fish up to 250 feet deep.
  • Recommended Reels: PENN Fathom II 10XN Lever Drag (FTH10XNLD) and Fathom II 8XN Star Drag (FTHII8XNSD)

BATSPJII350C68M – 6ft. 8in. Medium Conventional Rod

• Jigs up to 350gr. weight
  • Up to 40-pound braid
  • Best all-around model
  • Medium to large fish including tuna and yellowtail up to 40 pounds in open water; bottom fish up to 400 feet deep.
  • Recommended Reels: PENN Fathom II 10XN Lever Drag (FTH10XNLD) and Fathom II 12 Star Drag (FTHII12SD)

BATSPJII1450C68MH – 6ft. 8in. Medium Heavy Conventional Rod

• Jigs up to 450gr.weight
  • Up to 50-pound braid
  • Large fish to 60 pounds-plus in open water, and medium-large fish in heavy structure; bottom fish in deep water.
  • Recommended Reels: PENN Fathom 15XN 2 Speed Lever Drag (FTH15XNLD2) and Torque 15XN 2 Speed Lever Drag (TRQ15XNLD2)

BATSPJII250S68ML – 6ft. 8in. Medium Light Spinning Rod

• Up to 30-pound braid
  • Medium fish species like lingcod, rockfish, bonito, calico bass, halibut. Good all-around “inshore” model for fish up to 250 feet deep.
  • Recommended Reels: PENN Slammer III 4500 (SLAIII4500) and Spinfisher VI 4500 (SSVI4500)

BATSPJII450S68MH – 6ft. 8in. Medium Heavy Spinning Rod

• Jigs up to 450gr.weight
  • Up to 50-pound braid
  • Medium-Large fish to 40 pounds-plus in open water, and medium fish in heavy structure. Bottom fish in deeper water
  • Recommended Reels: PENN Slammer III 5500 (SLAIII5500) and Spinfisher VI 5500 (SSVI5500)

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

SLOW PITCH JIGGING REELS

CONVENTIONAL REELS

Fathom 10XN Lever Drag Reel (FTH10XNLD)

• 15-40 lb. braid
  • Excellent all-purpose inshore reel
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Light (BATSPJII250C68ML) and Medium Conventional (BATSPJII350C687M)

Fathom 15XN 2 Speed Lever Drag Reel (FTH15XNLD2)

• 30-65 lb. braid
  • Excellent all-purpose reel for offshore yellowtail and tuna to 75 pounds; inshore species
  • Left-hand version available (FTH15XNLD2LH)
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Conventional (BATSJII450C68M)

Fathom II 8XN Star Drag Reel (FTHII8XNSD)

• 15-40 lb. braid
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Light (BATSPJII100C68L) and Medium Light Conventional (BATSPJII250C68ML)

Fathom II 12 Star Drag Reel (FTHII12SD)

• 20-50 lb. braid
  • Excellent all-purpose inshore; light offshore reel
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Conventional (BATSPJII350C68M)

Torque 15XN 2 Speed Lever Drag Reel (TRQ15XNLD2)

• 30-65 lb. braid
  • Machined aluminum
  • Made in the USA
  • Excellent all-purpose reel for offshore yellowtail and tuna to 75 pounds; inshore species
  • Available in either gold or silver
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Heavy Conventional (BATSJII450C68MH)

SPINNING REELS

Slammer III 4500 (SLAIII4500) and Spinfisher VI 4500 (SSVI4500) Spinning Reels

• Up to 30 lb. braid
  • Medium fish species like lingcod, rockfish, bonito, calico bass, halibut; good all-around “inshore” model for fish up to 250 feet deep
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Light Spinning (BATSPJII250S68ML)

Slammer III 5500 (SLAIII5500) and Spinfisher VI 5500 (SSVI5500) Spinning Reels

• Up to 50 lb. braid
  • Jigs up to 450gr. weight
  • Medium-large fish to 40 pounds-plus in open water; medium fish in heavy structure; bottom fish in deeper water
  • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Heavy Spinning (BATSPJII450S68MH)

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Nice Info.
    I think this coming year we'll read more reports on SPJ.
    I know I'm going to add it to my gear.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Nice Info.
    I think this coming year we'll read more reports on SPJ.
    I know I'm going to add it to my gear.

I definitely noticed that when the local tuna/yellowtail slowed down, the attention to SPJ increased substantially.
    Too bad the CA rockfish/lingcod closure will be in effect from Jan.1-March 1 [even longer up north].
    Anyone booking a "Colonett Special" trip should definitely give SPJ a try!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Nefarious

Jul 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    NA
    Have you checked fisherman’s landing, being one of the biggest if not biggest shop in SoCal I think they would have some... if not try tackle direct; I ordered off there for the rod and had it in 4 days

Havent tried the landing yet - ill stop by tomorrow. Tackle Direct does not have the 350 in stock

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Havent tried the landing yet - ill stop by tomorrow. Tackle Direct does not have the 350 in stock

The landing is not carrying the SPJ rods at this time [they should have the reels].
    PM sent.

Upvote 0

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
    Vista Ca
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    None
    Interested in what shops are carrying them also. I searched North county and nothing as of yet. One shop had know clue what I was talking about. The other is waiting for the rods to come in.

I have my reels and Jigs all set up I just need to grab a couple rods

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Interested in what shops are carrying them also. I searched North county and nothing as of yet. One shop had know clue what I was talking about. The other is waiting for the rods to come in.

I have my reels and Jigs all set up I just need to grab a couple rods

PM sent.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    I was thinking the 450 jig rod & 350 rods to start off the arsenal.

If I was only going to get "one" for all CA fishing, it would be the 350.
    If only getting "one", and staying with rockfish/local [no tuna or yellowtail], get the 250.
    If I was able to get "two", it would be the 250 and the 450.
    If you are going "all-in", go with what feels best for your next trip!

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Caught this Sheephead off SCI with my PENN Batallion SPJ 450C68MH & Torque 15XN combo. I have the 15XN spooled up with 40lb X5 to 30lb Saiko FC leader....100g Damiki mausrin on the business end.

118197607_342826893419497_8685139033659551128_n.jpg
    How was the bite, on the fall, retrieve? On the jigging portion?

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III

SLOW PITCH JIGGING REELS

CONVENTIONAL REELS

Fathom 10XN Lever Drag Reel (FTH10XNLD)

• 15-40 lb. braid
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Light (BATSPJII250C68ML) and Medium Conventional (BATSPJII350C687M)

Fathom 15XN 2 Speed Lever Drag Reel (FTH15XNLD2)

• 30-65 lb. braid
    • Left-hand version available (FTH15XNLD2LH)
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Conventional (BATSJII450C68M)

Fathom II 8XN Star Drag Reel (FTHII8XNSD)

• 15-40 lb. braid
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Light (BATSPJII100C68L) and Medium Light Conventional (BATSPJII250C68ML)

Fathom II 12 Star Drag Reel (FTHII12SD)

• 20-50 lb. braid
    • Excellent all-purpose inshore; light offshore reel
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Conventional (BATSPJII350C68M)

Torque 15XN 2 Speed Lever Drag Reel (TRQ15XNLD2)

• 30-65 lb. braid
    • Machined aluminum
    • Made in the USA
    • Available in either gold or silver
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Heavy Conventional (BATSJII450C68MH)

SPINNING REELS

Slammer III 4500 (SLAIII4500) and Spinfisher VI 4500 (SSVI4500) Spinning Reels

• Up to 30 lb. braid
    • Medium fish species like lingcod, rockfish, bonito, calico bass, halibut; good all-around “inshore” model for fish up to 250 feet deep
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Light Spinning (BATSPJII250S68ML)

Slammer III 5500 (SLAIII5500) and Spinfisher VI 5500 (SSVI5500) Spinning Reels

• Up to 50 lb. braid
    • Jigs up to 450gr. weight
    • Medium-large fish to 40 pounds-plus in open water; medium fish in heavy structure; bottom fish in deeper water
    • Recommended Rods: PENN Battalion II 6ft. 8in. Medium Heavy Spinning (BATSPJII450S68MH)

Hi Steve,

What is an ideal line set up for slow pitch jigging?? Braid to a short flouro leader tied to the jig?? Braid to mono tied to the jig? Braid to mono to flouro to jig?

What pound line test do you recommend for a leader when using slow pitch jigs?? Do you recommend using flouro or mono for the leader?? How long of a leader do you recommend?

I'm gonna add slow pitch jigging to my arsenal this year and wanna learn from one of the best!!

Reactions: Tugboat64
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Hi Steve,

What is an ideal line set up for slow pitch jigging?? Braid to a short flouro leader tied to the jig?? Braid to mono tied to the jig? Braid to mono to flouro to jig?

What pound line test do you recommend for a leader when using slow pitch jigs?? Do you recommend using flouro or mono for the leader?? How long of a leader do you recommend?

I'm gonna add slow pitch jigging to my arsenal this year and wanna learn from one of the best!!

Hi Eric,
    The details for our various fisheries are still being worked out, but in general I go with a 20-foot wind-on of mono, most often 40-pound when I am using 20 or 30-pound braid.
    When I am using 50-pound braid, I will bump that up to 50 or 60-pound mono, though that is usually only for yellowtail.
    I may, or may not, go with a 4-foot piece of fluoro at the terminal end.
    Obviously lingcod etc. don't care about fluoro's lower visibility, but its more abrasion resistant than mono.
    The big thing is that the thin braid is not good at all for abrasion resistance, so your mono wind-on should be plenty long to keep the braid from contacting rocks, etc.

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
    Hi Eric,
    The details for our various fisheries are still being worked out, but in general I go with a 20-foot wind-on of mono, most often 40-pound when I am using 20 or 30-pound braid.
    When I am using 50-pound braid, I will bump that up to 50 or 60-pound mono, though that is usually only for yellowtail.
    I may, or may not, go with a 4-foot piece of fluoro at the terminal end.
    Obviously lingcod etc. don't care about fluoro's lower visibility, but its more abrasion resistant than mono.
    The big thing is that the thin braid is not good at all for abrasion resistance, so your mono wind-on should be plenty long to keep the braid from contacting rocks, etc.

Ok makes sense!

Thank you for your response, will keep this info in mind when setting up my rig and target species!

Upvote 0