Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
Has anyone properly fixed a glass/ply hull that has water intrusion separating the fiberglass skin and ply?
Is the proper method to grind/cut back the fiberglass until you expose clean wood. Rebuild the ply skin with laminates using backing plates/slabs, layer up the glass and sand and refinish with gel-coat?
Does the cutting need to run to existing stringers or can a new stringer be installed to support this "patch"?
If this is on the bottom of the hull, does the boat need to be flipped or can the hull be blocked up for support and work from below?

I thinking about starting a new project, but would like as much insight into the process and techniques as possible. I've downloaded and started reading "The Gougean Brothers on Boat Construction" for present advice.
As far as glasswork, it's been some years but I do have experience glassing ply/foam skim boards as well as all fiberglass hulls. This is much different so any advice is extremely appreciated. Thank you.
IMG_6459.JPG

26952149100_8f31ee584c_z.jpg
IMG_6459[/url] by lipripper1, on Flickr[/IMG]
Chris

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I know which boat this is, seems like if there was this much damage in an integral area, there would be far more else where. Just get a good survey on this one.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0