Portland boat show

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by carrie's bait boy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. carrie's bait boy

carrie's bait boy 2 hulls are better than 1

Name:
    norm
    Boat:
    32x12 ACI Cat
    560FB029-4DE2-4166-A21C-C734367E2769.jpeg BD7DFD41-7A8D-45BD-BFA5-161C8E043992.jpeg Had a great trip to Portland today with Cohoho Mike. Lots of cool boats and gear. Got my first up close look at the Allied boats. My god they are cool. Bo and company did a great job. On that new Husky themed boat I like that he took my idea about a stripper pole, but the girls are gonna have to be nimble to negotiate around motor controls:)

2. Meanwhile

Meanwhile Member

Name:
    Randy Kane
    Boat:
    2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
    I was hoping to see some life raft vendors, no go. Not a life raft present.

3. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Time to upgrade!

Marlin Mike likes this.
  4. driftfisher

driftfisher Born 2 Fish

Name:
    brent
    Boat:
    22 SeaSport Sportsman
    Did they have Duck and Beaver Boats at the show also ?

5. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    Cool boat! Not a fan of their themed color schemes though. Rocket launchers? Why are the outboard rigging cables/hoses so apparently tight?

Any comment I have on the stripper pole is not OK so I'm leaving that alone.

fishing fanatic likes this.
  6. Nineball

Nineball That's a keeper!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    I have one. Since its easy to criticize something I will never be able to afford, why can't the lower stripper pole mount be sunk down and flush with the swimstep? Maybe it's just me. Even the top bracket need not exist on the boat if it were attached to the pole where it could lock into the transom as it is pushed downward.

7. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    I can see that pole can be used for three different things...
    Stripper/Flag/Pots

8. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    No raft vendors present is not surprising to me as the Seattle Boat Show is just after the Portland show and has most likely 20 times the attendance.

I saw in an earlier post of yours Randy looking for a different raft than VIKING because you didn't like taking it to Seattle to get it re-packed, have you ever inquired about free pick up and delivery to any of their stops in the Portland area? (you list Warren as your location)

You can't get it done very fast but their trucks are constantly dropping off and pickup up large rafts from large boats in different ports and as long as you can bend your schedule to match theirs, it is normally a no-brainer.

One other benefit to sticking with VIKING is they vacuum pack rafts like yours. No "we re-pack all rafts" places can do that to the best of my knowledge.

Hope this helps, good luck.

WD.

9. carrie's bait boy

carrie's bait boy 2 hulls are better than 1

Name:
    norm
    Boat:
    32x12 ACI Cat
    U missed the actual real reason for the pole... and this is the truth. There is a clip hole in the ceiling above the rear helm. So between the pole and the roof will be the cool owners......... hammock! This is a boat set up for cruising, with a bunch of upgrades, generator, salt water to fresh water thingy (technical term) stoves, ovens, comfy shit..... I loved it. Both boats are very cool. Better in person. I bet Bo could paint one in my Canadian flag colors and we could name it the "Eh Team" Eh?

LJB and Lion11 like this.
  10. Lion11

Lion11 Paul

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Grady White 275 Freedom
    Great looking boats.

11. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Chris; that is a pot puller and mount, i.e. davit. To have it flush would require more more structure with the the possibility of trapped water. It's on the swim step. Less chance of tripping on it. Most people don't fish off their swim step nor walk on it. Another option would have be in the gunnel like Norm and I have ours. Again a lot more work and people aka new guys on the boat have been know to drop shit in it thinking it is a cup holder. Hopefully Bo will have this boat at the Seattle Boat Show.

The Portland Sportsman's Show is at least twice the size of Pullalup's. Been to it once 5 years ago with Ted aka Blackvelet before our falling out over unknown reasons from my side.

Soon the Seattle Boat Show and the Sportsman's Show will come to us. Excited? Yup.

12. Nineball

Nineball That's a keeper!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    I was just keeping the reference to the davit's alternative use in my post in a joking manner. Seeing some of your previous davit mounts welded into the gunnel is kind of what led me to believe that this install could be much cleaner with minimal effort. I guess I don't see why the cup can't be welded flush to the top of the swimstep with a drainhole in the bottom. Put a flip cap on the top of it, or any other cap that suits your fancy. One less trip hazard to deal with even if it isn't a routine access point.

It's for the same reason that I refuse to screw that same style lower mount down to the floor of my bleach bottle. It's an eyesore and a trip hazard (aside from the fact that it requires hardware screwed into the liner). I plan to add a mount of some sort to the arch I need to build if I ever get off my ass and get to work out in the shop.

Love watching your builds John but if I ever get this arch built I probably won't post pics here after seeing the dime stacking that takes place in your shop:notworthy

13. robodad

robodad BullShitoligest

Name:
    Allen
    Boat:
    26' Olympic XLF
    That little honda up near the bulkhead used for mixing drinks ?? now thats a cool feature !! rock.gif

gabe0308, Fog Ducker! and Wild Bill like this.
  14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    4 stroke marguarita blender. I dig it.

Fog Ducker! likes this.
  15. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Stirred not shaken!

Ducker!

16. Charles_Sterlin

Charles_Sterlin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Charles
    Boat:
    23' Pursuit and 28' Slickcraft resto mod
    I-90 Marine rigged my cables that high to ensure no water intrusion.

As far as tight i dunno i made sure mine actually lay on the deck so you can easily walk on the swim step in front of my motors without tripping hazards.

@chris,
    Yeah if i would have had PDR add a davit mount i would have had them weld the mount under the swim step mounting the pole through the platform -like they do their swim steps mounts. (in retrospect wish i had them add a swim step...not as a swim step but so i could get in the damn boat on the trailer!)

17. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    Thanks Norm I thought it was for a UW flag..

carrie's bait boy likes this.
  18. Meanwhile

Meanwhile Member

Name:
    Randy Kane
    Boat:
    2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
    When I asked about pickup they quoted me over $100 to ship it up there. They were not very excited to get my business. I bought it used, and it was a good deal even after the first repack. I just want something close so I can see it getting done. It was a good raft and those ballast pockets work great. I have no problems with the raft itself, just the shipping and cradle.

Sorry for the highjack.

19. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    A hammock mount is a brilliant idea.