Portable bait tank/ tutorial help

Jdubbs75

Dec 25, 2016
Bothell
Name
Joe
Boat
21’ duckworth
Hey guys i know theres content on here about building a tank. I am just wondering if anyone has a diagram and parts list in toddler coloring book language to understand how to plumb a circulating raw water bait tank. It wont be a fixed tank as my fishing does not involve much of any live bait but will be traveling and only be used a few times a year so it wont even be thru-hull.

i understand a little but about the setup but i cant find any pictures to show exactly how they are plumbed and what exact parts and positioning. Pictures would be awesome if anyone has the time or know how and would much appreciate it. Im looking at around a 25-30 gallon tank setup.

the only way i know how and not sure if it is even correct is a oval tank, pump setup that will suck dry, but not sure what type of intake setup, a drain at the bottom, and an outflow. Pump will be fixed on transom with a 90° clamshell or pvc pipe below water line. Would put a particulate filter inline with the intake if available to keep debris out.

My biggest questions are should water flow from a few different spots from bottom to below overflow and in a certain direction to create circulation and what parts and setup to achieve this, filtration inside tank for scales and what not and This is where im a bit lost. Any tips or tutorials would be much appreciated thank you.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
What boat is it going in and what type of fishing will you be doing?

First thing is instead of re-inventing the wheel get a Kodiak transom mount pump setup.

With a temp setup you don't really need a strainer in or out of the tank. The grill on the Kodiak mount will be good enough.

Jdubbs75

Dec 25, 2016
Bothell
Name
Joe
Boat
21’ duckworth
Duckworth not an offshore, and will be fishing when weather permits. I need tank for chovies mainly when going out for albacore and mackerel when trailering to socal. Bait hotel wont keep bait alive on 40 miles runs.

I think im ok on how to run the plumbing/overflow for transom mount, my problem is how the tank setup, what parts, how and where they are fitted in tank. Thank you and Ill look at the kodiak tanks and see what your referring to sickcat but would really like to diy this as much as possible as the tank will likely collect dust more than hold bait due to boat being small for offshore capabilities regularly. all comments are appreciated

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
Buy a real tank. Most home made tanks kill bait. By the time you finish buying parts and time invested, a small used tank won't cost much more.

Last edited:

Jdubbs75

Dec 25, 2016
Bothell
Name
Joe
Boat
21’ duckworth
You guys are right ill suck it up and just but the tank. Are kodiak bait tanks good for the money? Almost $500.00 for the pro flow 32 gallon.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
The most important aspect is mount the tank very securely. Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon. A 40 gallon tank weighs in at 333 lbs. You do not want that thing coming loose. Bungee straps will not do the job. Kodiak tanks work fine. Size the pump for a fill time of 8-10 minutes. Use a ball valve of pump discharge to regulate flow rate. I think a Kodiak 500 pump should work,but ask the tank vendor. Use nylon reinforced hose and make sure the hose run does not have any peaks and valleys for an air lock. Make a straight up hill run. If my pump did not prime, I loosened the hose at the pump and pulled it off and once water started to pour out, put ti back on and tighten the hose clamp.

a7ewizard

Almost A Member
Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
"Anchovies for albacore...?"
Unless you have 4 or 5 guys on the boat, the troll to bait stop is hard to accomplish.

I made a bait tank out of a 35 gallon plastic barrel. 800gph pump. It worked great! Near zero anchovie losses.
Go to a good plumbing supply store and ask for tank fittings. These have foam seals and thread together from both sides of the tank. They also have threaded inserts so you can fashion your intakes and outflow.

Mine was also mounted for occasional use. I used locking nylon straps to secure it to my engine box.