el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I'm tired of this heat! I live close to the beach, but our bedroom is upstairs and it's hard to get to sleep. How do those portable jobbers work? I'm not talking about a window unit but one that rolls on caster wheels. Are they worth the $3-400? Do they still need a window for intake? The problem is our windows are a good distance away from the bed. And they are not the slider types, they are the kind that swing open vertically like a book. Can you get one of these to work with that kind of window? Thanks for the help. My wife will appreciate it and I might get some.

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
I have a normal window mount AC that is looking for a home. It has been outside for a while but should still work. You would need to remove the casement window and make a dummy pane to go up top. Here is a link to how it is done. If you want the AC I can test it and let you know. http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-309207

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
I'm tired of this heat! I live close to the beach, but our bedroom is upstairs and it's hard to get to sleep. How do those portable jobbers work? I'm not talking about a window unit but one that rolls on caster wheels. Are they worth the $3-400? Do they still need a window for intake? The problem is our windows are a good distance away from the bed. And they are not the slider types, they are the kind that swing open vertically like a book. Can you get one of these to work with that kind of window? Thanks for the help. My wife will appreciate it and I might get some.

Yes, they have a hose that exhausts the hot air out. They will also have a drain for the water condensation. Most come with a pan or a reservoir but usually only need to be dumped daily. You'd need to get a special window adapter or make one yourself for the style window you are explaining.

I'd never spend full price on those things. Try Craigslist. I got 2 about five years ago for $125 each and sold them both for the same price last year.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
They work well if you get one with the right output for your room and keep your door closed, leave it on all day. Some do not need a reservoir but all need venting, if you have a master bathroom, the bathroom window is easiest.

Upvote 0

Foss

Senior Fossil
Dec 16, 2003
Bay Park
www.jackinnis.com
Name
Jack
Boat
Not My Ride
I picked up one made by DeLonghi from Costco a month ago and it works fair. (But I have a wall of west facing single pane windows, so I was only expecting it to knock down the temp a few degrees in the afternoon, and it does that). You would have to rig a piece of foam board or something to replicate a closed window with a hole in it for hot air exhaust. Alternately, you could cut a circular hole in your wall that goes outside...like a dryer vent, which might allow you to position the AC unit better in the room. Shorter the exhaust tube, the better.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Those work pretty good. If it's just short term you can make a simple cardboard cutout to fit into the window. If more long term use the cardboard as a template for a piece of plywood. Real long term sandwich it between two plywoods and insulation.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
    Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat
    No Name........
    Consumer reports recently posted an article about those....
    Summary: They don't work as well as a window unit and generally don't put out the advertised capacity....
    Note: The units that don't need to drain simply use that water to cool the unit itself just reintroduce that moisture into the air....

Quick reference = 12,000 btu = 1 ton of capacity
    1 ton of capacity can condition approximately 400 - 500 sq ft of area

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    I tried those portable a/c units, and found they didn't do the job. The exhaust hose- about 4"- tended to heat up more than the unit cooled down the room. Recently came across a portable, and I do mean PORTABLE!- swamp cooler. A bit pricey at first, but nothing more than a fan and pump on a reservior that you can roll around from room to room. With the humidity being high, rec'd consideration as it might not benefit some areas. The draw is 110v, which is decent to deal with over our installed central a/c.

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    As Tommy pointed out, a ductless mini split system is a great solution if you want to cool and/or heat 1 or 2 rooms. Thay are pricey, however.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    The portable units produce heat in the room that you are trying to cool.A small percent of the cooling goes toward said heat....equals inefficiency.Get a small window unit.

Upvote 0