Port San Luis Salmon 5/4 & 5/5

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by CaliJeepHuntr, May 6, 2019.

1. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Fished PSL on Saturday and Sunday for limits both days. All fish were 10-15 lbs.

On Saturday we started trolling in 250 feet of water south of the lighthouse. Bait was all over the place from big balls to hugging the bottom. Water was really clear though, which is probably why the fish were deep. Trolled along the bottom all day using mainly just straight bait. Picked one up at 930, another around 10. Then about 11 it went crazy in 250-260 feet. We found a spot of fish that kept stripping our baits the moment we hit bottom. Finally decked our last 2 fish for limits just before 12.

Sunday we went back to the same area and did the same thing. First fish hit the deck about 9am on a green glow in the dark coyote spoon about 250 down in 270 feet of water. Bite turned on again and between 11 and 1230 we caught 3 more fish and lost 2 others. It's tough bringing the fish up from that deep.

On Sunday I also decided to run the underwater cameras late morning since the water was so clear and the sun was out. They were running roughly about 240 feet down and as you can see, was still plenty light enough to see down there that deep. Caught some salmon on video as well!

First part of the clip is the GoFish Cam (with the little green light on) and the second is the Waterwolf. I'm still not too happy with the GoFish Cams video quality.

2. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Great shots. Macks seemed more interested in camera. Sams are very deliberately checking out your bait there at the end.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

3. Megamonster

Megamonster Newbie

Name:
    Darryl
    Boat:
    Robalo
    Cool footage ....

4. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    bobrehfuss
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    That’s really cool video and great catching!

5. skipjack

skipjack Member

Name:
    skip
    Boat:
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Great video and catch Nick.
    Halibut and BFT videos next?

6. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
    Both are cool videos. It looks like that fish in the first video has somebody else's lure in its mouth, or maybe it is yours.

7. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    That fish was hooked on our bottom leader. Shows how good he was hooked. Dragging him up from 250 feet down takes a while. After the initial hookup on that fish the second fish came in and checked out the spoon.

I want to catch a halibut and seabass on the camera. Hopefully this year. BFT I'd be afraid of losing the gear. They might eat the camera instead. Haha

skipjack likes this.
  8. RonnyB

RonnyB Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Panga
    Thanks for the post! Great shots on the camera!

9. Bwood

Bwood Member

Name:
    Brett
    Boat:
    17' Whaler
    Great video. Have used a water wolf and same deal with fish checking out camera and ignoring lure. Always wondered if it’s the small red power light or maybe they can see their reflection or the electronics inside. I am sure there is a lure improvement in there somewhere.

10. montereymarlin

montereymarlin Newbie

Name:
    N. M. S.
    Boat:
    TrevorBrian
    Highly doubt the camera turned the fish away, looks more like no action on whatever it was you’re using. Was that a lure or kripple chove? Can’t tell, but if def doesn’t seem to be doing it’s job.

cmj805 likes this.
  11. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    The bait in that second video didn’t seem to have any action. Crazy to think about how often fish give you a look and then swim off...

12. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    The bait is just a straight bait rigged with a cable baiter. One of our top salmon catchers. No crippled anything needed. :)

I'm still undecided if the camera helps draw the salmon in. But we've seen salmon come up and hit the bait that has zero action, or was literally bit in half and doing nothing. We've had jellyfish on the hook, seaweed grass on the hook, and salmon have come up and take a swing at it.

It has literally gone against what we think we know in regards to how we want our bait/lures to run.

Something triggers them to strike. We'll hook up on turns where the speed of the bait/lure speeds up or slows down, when we bump the speed up a tad, or slow the speed down a tad. How long had they been following? And even though we may not see a fish in the camera's FOV, are they swimming just below or to the right, just watching, waiting for something to trigger that strike?

13. Michael Gorgita

Michael Gorgita Newbie

Name:
    Michael Gorgita
    Boat:
    22 Bayrunner
    My father was a commercial salmon guy for years and his observations were like yours. He told me stories about salmon just following his top most lures and not biting. He would see more than one, more like 5-9 at a time, and he would grab the leader on his gurdie and tug it to get the fish to react. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. My experience is zigzag, speed up and down, sharp turns, all elicit bites with sharp turns with speed being number one. Cool video !

CaliJeepHuntr and montereymarlin like this.
  14. montereymarlin

montereymarlin Newbie

Name:
    N. M. S.
    Boat:
    TrevorBrian
    Perhaps if you did have some sort of action on that not needed bar, you would've gotten bit. Not sure about you, but I like to have every lure known to mankind on the boat, so when you're wondering why you're not getting bit, you can try something else to hopefully change that around. But, to each their own..

15. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Maybe it would have... but then again maybe it wouldn't have.

Why did the salmon in this video at 1:08 hit this bait that was doing nothing? The bait wasn't doing anything to suggest it should draw a salmon in.

Everyone has their methods, styles and preferences. We run mainly the small hotspot flasher/hoochie combo and straight bait. Sometimes we run spoons, sometimes we run an Apex. Mostly it's flasher/hoochie and bait. And that works for us.

charliecat likes this.