EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
The ones we got were in quakies so they didn't.
Yep - It's all about what they are knawing on....just like everything I suppose..

Mukilteo69

Balls Deep
Dec 21, 2011
Mukilteo/WA/Snohomish
Name
Rick Matthews
Boat
Miss Easy Glacier Bay 2670
I run two or three Shorthairs every year in the Dakotas and Montana. EVERY dog I have owned has got into them. Dog in picture was three days in a row this year in ND. Some learn, some don't. Some go back and try to bite them right after I pull the quills out. I run e-collars on all my dogs and some have learned from the training described above and some have not. I carry pliers and pull them out immediately on site (otherwise I would be too poor to hunt). The closer to the skin (hard black part of the quill) the better. The hollow white part is soft and will break off. Worst part of country, from my experience, central MT along the Missouri River. Encountered 11 in one day there. We joke about getting limits of Porkies some days we don't get limits of birds.

porky.png

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
I run two or three Shorthairs every year in the Dakotas and Montana. EVERY dog I have owned has got into them. Dog in picture was three days in a row this year in ND. Some learn, some don't. Some go back and try to bite them right after I pull the quills out. I run e-collars on all my dogs and some have learned from the training described above and some have not. I carry pliers and pull them out immediately on site (otherwise I would be too poor to hunt). The closer to the skin (hard black part of the quill) the better. The hollow white part is soft and will break off. Worst part of country, from my experience, central MT along the Missouri River. Encountered 11 in one day there. We joke about getting limits of Porkies some days we don't get limits of birds.

View attachment 891160
That is worse than anything I could have imagined and would probably be my dog. She thinks she is pretty smart and wouldn't let it sit that another critter got the best of her.

And to think people in skunk country think they are having a bad day when their dog gets sprayed?

I will start carrying the pliers. Thanks, good tip.

Mukilteo69

Balls Deep
Dec 21, 2011
Mukilteo/WA/Snohomish
Name
Rick Matthews
Boat
Miss Easy Glacier Bay 2670
Few more things. If the quills are sticking out the other/far side (like some of the the ones in the dogs leg above) you need to pull them all the way through from that side. They will not come back out the way they went in. I have a first aid kit with supplies from my Vet. and I start them on Antibiotics for ten days after the encounter. Skin glue and skin stapler are also invaluable for the kit. My dogs let me do pretty much anything to patch them up. Some dogs, not so much. If they are uncooperative you can immobilize them by rolling them up in towels/blanket "Super Man" style. Keeps legs from kicking and jaws from biting.

FYI my best Skunk remedy is mixture of Peroxide and tomato juice. Good luck.

Reactions: Odin7 and LJB

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
Jan 18, 2013
Tacoma
Name
ain't no cunthead
Boat
68 Bellboy
Few more things. If the quills are sticking out the other/far side (like some of the the ones in the dogs leg above) you need to pull them all the way through from that side. They will not come back out the way they went in. I have a first aid kit with supplies from my Vet. and I start them on Antibiotics for ten days after the encounter. Skin glue and skin stapler are also invaluable for the kit. My dogs let me do pretty much anything to patch them up. Some dogs, not so much. If they are uncooperative you can immobilize them by rolling them up in towels/blanket "Super Man" style. Keeps legs from kicking and jaws from biting.

Yep I had to put stitches in before good to carry something in your 1st aid kit for that also..

Reactions: One_Leg

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle

You answered the questions my wife asked when I shared your previous advice.

Thanks!