Porcupines and dogs

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by Odin7, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I've got a young GSP pup I'm in the process of turning into a hunting partner. First real bird dog I've had.

A week ago, I shot a mallard drake that dropped on the other side of Crab Creek.

There was ice along the edges and she wasn't quite up to the task yet, so we hoofed it a mile to a point where we could cross and scramble along a mule deer trail along the side of the canyon back to where the bird went down.

When we got into the area, she got on her hind legs and swiveled her head around looking for the source of the scent. I knew we were within a few yards of where the bird went down in VERY thick cover. We were digging our way through it when I looked up and saw this and grabbed her before she "retrieved" it.

I dug through the stuff I could until dark and ultimately made the three mile walk back to the truck without that bird.

Like I said, I'm new to hunting with a dog.

What could I have done differently?

porcupine.JPG

2. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    I don't think there is much you can do,, I've had two encounters, 1st time was no big deal only a couple quills,,, Second I recognized the sound/yelp from the two dogs and knew what happened before getting them back,, Must of been 25 or 30 in each dog,, I had to leave the overnight in Othello luckily the bill was only $185.00.. Good luck with the new pup !!!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I had that image in my mind when I grabbed her. I guess there is no "educating" your dog on this one, just hoping you can grab them before they get a face full of quills.

Thanks.

4. undone

undone Member

Name:
    Jody Wyse
    Boat:
    Blue Wave
    I lived in an area with porcupines around, the dogs repeatedly came in with quills in their faces, they never learned to stay away. The solution was when I heard the dogs on a porcupine I'd head out with my 22 and remove it. It didn't take long to remove enough of them that the problem was solved. Out hunting in new territory would make it hard to prevent if you have a dog that likes to go after them.

Odin7 likes this.
  5. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    When I got my dog, this was the last thing I ever thought would be a concern. I grew up in the midwest and our big concerns there were skunks. Now, it seems pretty funny to think that the worst thing that could happen to your dog was to get kissed by a pole kitty.

6. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    I trained several years with a pro, we did snake train with Tri Trionics collar,,
    I hunted 30 years and about 10 Labs only twice had encounters with the porcupines..

7. Peteb

Peteb newbie my ass

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    20' Wooldridge Pisces II
    Dogs + porcupines = vet bills.
    Been there.

8. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    If you run an ecollar, I'd have got control of the dog, then Lit the dawg up right there. With a very loud NO. Take the dawg away, then walk back to the quillback and light the dawg up again. It's very similar to snake breaking them. A bit rough for a very short time (seconds each), but very worthwhile for protecting the dawg in the future. Leopold locked up on a porcupine when he was 3 or 4. His first encounter that I was aware of. He never bothered them again, but the yearling I had a bit later, Andy that was following in Leopold's footsteps, got a mouthful one day.

9. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I'll put the collar on her next time.

She will stop whatever she is doing if I shout STOP, which is what happened last week and then I grabbed her. I'm not sure if she made the connection to the porcupine and the command though.

The conditioned response with the collar should tie the discomfort to the critter. I hope.

Has anyone taken the quills out themselves? I get chest pain just thinking about my pup in the hours it would likely take until we could connect with our vet.

10. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    If you skin a porky and keep it around they will learn it's not to be messed with.

Odin7 likes this.
  11. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    Never been there with a dog myself thank goodness. I have read and been told by trainers that many dogs once 'got' remember the pain but the how/why. The porcupine becomes the enemy and must be dealt with before it gets the dog again. Now, I have had dogs who did this exact behavior with bees. Once stung, they have to get the next bee every time! I highly recommend any sort of STOP training mentioned above.
    Broken quills in the throat, sides and belly can slowly work into the dogs insides!

Odin7 likes this.
  12. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    I had to pull them once. It's not fun and I inspected each quill to make sure they were whole. Leaving a piece in could be bad.

Odin7 likes this.
  13. Team Sency

Team Sency Unleash the hounds!!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    JuiceBox2
    My Springers must be chickens....cause they yip and park at them, but have never tried to grab one.

As a kid, my dad decided wanted to take one home.....a 20ga at close range needed multiple rounds to get through that pelt. Tough buggers!!

I think Laurence has the right training idea.

That was a lot of work for 1 duck let alone ending up with no duck!....made me feel like I was Chucker hunting!!!

Odin7 likes this.
  14. undone

undone Member

Name:
    Jody Wyse
    Boat:
    Blue Wave
    I've had to pull them out numerous times, after about 5 visits to the vet I just started doing it myself, a couple of times I had to take them in because it was so bad though, vet had to put them under to do it.

It's not fun holding down a large dog while you pull them out.

I had to borrow the neighbor's 22 to kill the first porcupine, it was a fairly dirty semi auto and would jam loading the next round. I fired the first shot and it jammed, so I had to follow the porcupine around the yard while getting things right again, this happened every time I fired it. My wife was on the deck laughing hard the whole time, she reminds me and friends of the great hunter that had to follow the vicious porcupine around the yard shooting it until it died.

I bought a new 22 the next day and did in the rest of porcupines over the next week.

15. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Here in southeastern Montana we kill every porcupine we see . Two reasons are 1 not very many trees here and they peel every one they come across,2 most of them carry rabies .

16. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Two very compelling reasons, for sure!

When I was a kid, my older brother took me on my first canoe trip in Minnesota's Boundary Waters. He told me if I didn't keep the paddles close to the tent, porcupines would chew them up from the salt that came from our sweat and we wouldn't be able to paddle back.

True? Or, maybe a way to get your little brother to keep the gear from getting scattered all over the woods!

17. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Porkies are good eating too.

18. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    I suppose if you like eating pine trees. Tried one during one hunt in the Goldendale area. Not a great hunt, shot a porky, bull snake, and coyote. My buddy used the bull snake skin for a cowboy hat band, and lined it with porky quills, great look......

19. GregE

GregE Seeking Kodak Moments

Name:
    Greg Eastman
    Boat:
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    My Lab/ mastiff mix got in to them FOUR times... $ 300 one trip with 65 in Hootch and a few in Bailey..so we did the next two but then had them near the eye so back to the vet

Bailey got stuck once and let Uncle Hootch protect her after that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blackfish likes this.
  20. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Could be true.

As a kid growing up in Michigan, we would camp in the northern part of the state where porcupines were everywhere. We would stay at a cabin that had a fenced in enclosure for your car. It was to protect from porcupines chewing on the undersides of your car (getting at the road salt) and severing things like brake lines. The critters would spend their time trying to get into the enclosure from all angles. Good times.

Animals love salt. Just like the mountain goats that chew the sweat soaked straps off your backpack and leave you with a 50lb handleless duffle bag to carry 20 miles out of the backcountry.

Odin7 likes this.