POPOTLA SHUFFLE

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by apple harbor, Feb 24, 2018.

1. apple harbor

apple harbor PINCHE GUERO

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    Called Charley told em we should bang some Reds Saturday morning tide was good , weather right for a beach launch.I was there at 6:30 am Charley was there but his 18 year old helper wasn't he called and showed up at 7:30,probably would have caught more but can't complain.First pick is Charley with 9 hooks and landing 8 fish,my batch is on the table with a beer can to gauge size of fish,3rd pick is Charley's batch also with ling cod,20 minute boat ride and we hit the high spots 300 - 400 ft.If anybody interested fishing with Charley $200 for boat 1 to 4 people,$50 more for each person extra......# from states 011 521 661 110 0325 if he doesn't answer just try again his cell sucks he told me he needs a new one ,I said to him that's what you told me last year.

charley 1.JPG charley 3.JPG charley 3.JPG

2. apple harbor

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    UH OH - here's Charley's batch

charley 2.JPG

aguachico likes this.
  3. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Nice batch of fish. Did you stay for mariscos on the beach after?

4. marcortez

marcortez No soy yo

Name:
    dale
    Boat:
    Gregor
    That's a HUGE panga or the dude is a midget

sushimi, 26grumpy, aguachico and 2 others like this.
  5. apple harbor

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    Yeah I believe he has five or six planks along the length of boat it's bigger then your standard panga.WE caught a lot more but I just took pics of the one's 12" plus did get a couple 20" and a lot 14" to 16" (FYI tecate cans are 4 "3/4) If they say 5" don't let em build your home.Gave the little one's to the kids .

6. jsl

jsl Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    none
    AwAweso. Thanks ffo the repore. Where do you stay when fisfish there ?

7. apple harbor

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    Have a house baja malibu,Rosarito is 5 minutes away plenty of cheap hotels,also air B&B all over.

mulegemike and jsl like this.
  8. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Good info.

What's up with beach access? I heard they tried closing off access and are trying to charge people.
    Is it a wet beach launch? It's a bit cold to be standing in water...
    4 people, $200 fish cleaning tip. did you bring squid?

Sounds like a good deal. I love that beach. My favorite thing is to watch cars getting stuck and wet.

FishinMcNuggets likes this.
  9. apple harbor

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    Yeah l usually take squid it's a good idea,The way it works now is you drive to the beach in the morning load your gear then you have to park up top in the lot.50 pesos.So I tell Charlie tell the helper I will pay him to clean my fish and take my cooler to truck so he and his buddy clean my fish then I grab my gear walk to truck and I give em 10 bucks.It's better then driving back down to get your stuff to much going on down there mayhem.Also park your truck 1st row in the morning as far south as you can so when you come back it's easy to get to.Yeah I have em take my cooler to the water clean it and then wash down all the fish load em and take to truck all nice and clean....make sure you have couple 5 ,10 dollar bills and at least 5 1 dollar bills for after fishing handle shit fast and easy,(when they bring the cooler back from beach put it on something other then sand,so when you load your vehicle all good,,,,makes your day much easier.I didn't have any squid so I used chicken skin from the thighs I cooked last night worked well too ,then we caught mackerel down deep while fishing for REDS,used the mackerel for bait ,but they bit on the chicken skin just as much.

Tackleho619, aguachico and Cubeye like this.
  10. Bajafishing

Bajafishing Newbie

Name:
    Andrew Baja
    Boat:
    proline
    Thank you for info, I will fish with Charley tomorrow.

11. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Very nice to see Popotla doing well,one of my favorite places to visit while staying at Los Rocas hotel.
    Price sounds great,how deep were you guys fishing?
    Thanks for the report and pics!

12. apple harbor

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    300 to 400 FYI swivel sinker and leader big haul will twist line and break off.Even with spectra allow a little mono top shot.Pretty soon surface fish will be back .

13. TunaTonight

TunaTonight Newbie

Name:
    Carlos
    Boat:
    Sold
    Nice, I’ll give him a call, I’ve been thinking about checking out Popotla for fishing.
    Thanks for the info!

14. aguilarserrato

aguilarserrato Member

Name:
    Adalberto
    Boat:
    N/A
    So you hire Charlie to take you fishing but he fishes too because he sells his fish? Something doesn’t seem right to me.

15. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    Don't know what to say, I spent summers in Popotla in the 60's, Yep it was 5 to 10 minutes to Rosorito by burro. Back then it was a modular home park and way better.........makes me sad to see what it has become........but I guess everything must move along.

16. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    Mmmmm mackerel

17. apple harbor

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    On the off season I bottom fish with Charlie,when it warms up I'm up and down the peninsula Cortez,and Pacific side,When we go out he fishes for himself,I fish for myself the price is inexpensive.He sales his fish on the beach.When I go outer banks Ensenada, San Quintin,Bola etc I'm hiring a skipper with boat whatever he catches and we catch in most cases we keep it and if he wants fillet or two or a fish no biggy.With Charlie it's a little boat ride ,bottom fish have a little fun go home. .

18. OceanfishingSD

OceanfishingSD Newbie

Name:
    Bay Fishing
    Boat:
    El Captain
    I went fishing with Charlie. It is different experience with other skippers and boats around Baja. The fishing ground is about 50 min driving and about 15 miles from the village. Charlie is experienced and we could find a school of the red cod. however, he said policy will check the boat on the beach and only allowed us to catch limited amount fish. I am no way to confirm it, since no body checked our boat or others after we return to beach. this is no problem to us, the fish we caught is enough. Return time is about 1:00 pm, i feel it is too early. They keep the fish they caught, this doesn't like skippers from other place.

The restaurant on the beach can cook the fish you caught, deep fry, BBQ or fish taco with the cost $7/kg. It is very good.

It is good experience and worth to try.

19. DJ Lawrence

DJ Lawrence Newbie

Name:
    DJ
    Boat:
    Boston whaler
    Was gonna go out with Charly next weekend. Any tips would be great usually fish further south so it’s my first time out of popotla/ roserito area so was stoked to find this forum and all the good reviews on charly.