Poor experience with Fisherman’s Processing, anyone else?

themonkey40

Fish Hunter
Nov 29, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Mark Horton
Boat
Michark
I just got back from a 3.5 day on Thursday 8/15 and had Fisherman’s Processing process my catch, 233.5# of Blue and Yellow Fin Tuna.

I live in San Francisco and flew down for my trip, so I need them to ship my catch. At the docks, the woman that took my order told me it would be shipped out Monday, since they didn’t ship on the weekend (understandable).

Just heard from them today (after I had to call when I didn’t hear from them on Friday after they said they would call) and a different woman told me that is would be another week until they ship. When I asked why, the woman on the phone said it was because they were busy with peak August/September charters (I am confused on why a very foreseeable issue would be the reason why my order is delayed). She was also very short with me and didn’t seem at all concerned/compassionate that I wanted my catch the freshest possible (instead she explained it was frozen, duh). She even went as far as to defend the woman and tell me I was wrong.

I have always had good experience with Fisherman’s Processing in previous years, but I don’t stand for customer service like this, especially with a catch I spend a lot of money to get. I will look to 5 Star in future years, as customer service is very important to me and I can’t stand for a company that doesn’t put the customer first.

Has anyone else had issues like this with Fisherman’s Processing?

Reactions: RichG and lynndeva
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Holy Change of Plans, BatMan/BatWoman/BatThey!

Why am I NOT confused? I'm not the biggest fan of Fishermans Processing, but....like.....WTF?
You intentionally had your fish frozen and then complained about not getting it as fresh as possible a week - instead of a few days - after it was flash frozen?
Sometimes in any business that depends on "fluid supplies" (fish biting or not biting) shit happens.....and not the kind of shit on the sidewalks of San Francisco.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Everyone has a bad day, 3 weeks ago the landings were a ghost town. Then the tuna decided to bite and the fish processors got slammed. If you've been happy with Fisherman's in the past I'd suggest using them again. If this issue persists then don't look back.

Reactions: themonkey40
    Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    I get it , everyone wants their fish ASAP once its processed especially when they tell you when its going too be shipped , maybe they should hire some short term employees to get them thru the onslaught of fish orders and try to keep people happy or just say we're swamped it'll be 10 days before wr can get it too you and let you make the decision to have them handle you're fisg or not , thanks for the heads up , I've had great luck with 5 STAR

Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
    May 16, 2016
    HereandThere
    Name
    JB
    Boat
    Unknown limits
    It takes a while, relax.....I had the same thing with 5 star also. That being said, I hate it when someone gives you a specific time...when they know it's BS. Just went through the same thing....just tell me it's going to be a week or two???

Upvote 0

themonkey40

Fish Hunter
    Nov 29, 2016
    San Francisco
    Name
    Mark Horton
    Boat
    Michark
    I get it , everyone wants their fish ASAP once its processed especially when they tell you when its going too be shipped , maybe they should hire some short term employees to get them thru the onslaught of fish orders and try to keep people happy or just say we're swamped it'll be 10 days before wr can get it too you and let you make the decision to have them handle you're fisg or not , thanks for the heads up , I've had great luck with 5 STAR

Exactly! All I wanted to do was make an informed decision with accurate information. I also get it if you made a mistake in the original quote for shipping, but I would expect a better experience and not being made to feel like it was my fault.

Reactions: RichG and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
    Jul 26, 2018
    San diego
    Name
    Anthony C.
    Boat
    Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
    I mean lots of boats are hitting limits and sending em to the processors .... I've only
    dealt with 5 star so far. Always been happy with the outcome other than the recent batch of jerky I got that had 3/4 of the seals go bad on the vacuum pack bags.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
    sacramento, ca.
    Name
    randy welsh
    Boat
    16' mirrocraft
    Yep,

scratched them off the list last year.
    What i wanted was some of the smaller fish left in the round for my own reasons that are my own business considering that's what i contracted with them for.

This year i'll bring the monster ice chests for smaller fish and use someone else for the cut, freeze and fly out to get paid part.

Upvote 0

gb58

Almost A Member
    Nov 10, 2006
    vista,ca
    Name
    greg braun
    Boat
    none
    I just got back from a 3.5 day on Thursday 8/15 and had Fisherman’s Processing process my catch, 233.5# of Blue and Yellow Fin Tuna.

I live in San Francisco and flew down for my trip, so I need them to ship my catch. At the docks, the woman that took my order told me it would be shipped out Monday, since they didn’t ship on the weekend (understandable).

Just heard from them today (after I had to call when I didn’t hear from them on Friday after they said they would call) and a different woman told me that is would be another week until they ship. When I asked why, the woman on the phone said it was because they were busy with peak August/September charters (I am confused on why a very foreseeable issue would be the reason why my order is delayed). She was also very short with me and didn’t seem at all concerned/compassionate that I wanted my catch the freshest possible (instead she explained it was frozen, duh). She even went as far as to defend the woman and tell me I was wrong.

I have always had good experience with Fisherman’s Processing in previous years, but I don’t stand for customer service like this, especially with a catch I spend a lot of money to get. I will look to 5 Star in future years, as customer service is very important to me and I can’t stand for a company that doesn’t put the customer first.

i have to deal with shipping companies on a daily basis. they get overloaded sometimes and it causes delays. sounds like this is what happened. i would not blame the woman that took your order or the prosessor. it happens

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    i have to deal with shipping companies on a daily basis. they get overloaded sometimes and it causes delays. sounds like this is what happened. i would not blame the woman that took your order or the prosessor. it happens
    Did you bother to even read what the OP said? They stated they will not ship til a week after the original stated date. Has nothing to do with shipping companies.

Reactions: ColdEye
    Upvote 0

red_teppin

Aug 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Boat
    no
    Just to clarify:

Thurs 8/15 - handed fish over
    Mon 8/19 - original ship date
    Mon 8/26 - new ship date

If this is the case, 11 days to process, pack and ship sounds excessive even at the busiest times.

Reactions: ColdEye
    Upvote 0

aznboy619

Abalone King
    Apr 25, 2006
    Alhambra
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    None
    Seem like some you guys have never walked in there. It is understandable why it might take a week to ship out your product. Fisherman Processing is not a big place with massive freezer. They would want to give you the best frozen product as possible and not just come half ass frozen. If you got any issue why not just email Sean and he might be able to help you out.

Also just imagine how much fish they process and freeze daily. Cut Fisherman process some slack.

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris

Hey Mark,

Sean (owner) is a good guy and I would send him an email to see if he could help resolve your situation and alleviate any concerns that you may have moving forward with your pending shipment. Being that it's the peak of the summer season and only 3 processors' are handling multiple tons of fish and 100's of customers on a daily basis, it's probably best to try to stay patient and understand the logistical load they're under at this time. FYI - If you prefer to avoid this type of delay in the future, it's best to wait for same day service if you have the option. Good luck.

Upvote 0

JonS

Almost A Member
    Jun 7, 2016
    Sf bay
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    None
    If they are that busy. I would expect them to ship out faster so they don’t keep too many fish in the freezer. I would imagine they want to turn it around as quick as possible.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    If they are that busy. I would expect them to ship out faster so they don’t keep too many fish in the freezer. I would imagine they want to turn it around as quick as possible.
    Yes. ASAP. As long as the fish are frozen solid. I don't think it's a good idea to ship fish that are not. I think a better explanation as to why the delay would have eased the pain a little.

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Yes. ASAP. As long as the fish are frozen solid. I don't think it's a good idea to ship fish that are not. I think a better explanation as to why the delay would have eased the pain a little.
    Shouldn’t they have a blast freezer? I imagine that can freeze fish solid in less than a day.

Upvote 0

Wahoover

• Jan 5, 2005
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    jack snipe
    Boat
    Long Range
    I just got a bunch of fish processed last Monday (8/12/19) at FP. Same day - fresh so I can't comment on frozen and shipping. However, I made a reservation in advance, fish was cut and packaged and I was on the road with my fish at 10a. Great experience, nice location, plenty of free parking.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0