Poor charter experience. Poll: Do I deserve a refund?

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    It called fishing and that the way the ball bounces sometimes. You don't always catch the fish. Even if you went to SCI right out the gates it still doesn't mean you would have killed it. It sucks and you feel like you were fucked trust me I know that feeling but there thousand of fisherman on this site who have experienced it , it part of the fishing some trips and days are better then others. I had 3 out of the 5 trips so far this year be boat rides for nadda and just a couple days before some of those trips it was wide open and 1 to 2 days after my bad trips it went wide open again. It sucks how far in advance we have to book trips these day. I have spent double what you guys spent on boat rides this year. You have to put the big boys pants on....

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    It called fishing and that the way the ball bounces sometimes. You don't always catch the fish. Even if you went to SCI right out the gates it still doesn't mean you would have killed it. It sucks and you feel like you were fucked trust me I know that feeling but there thousand of fisherman on this site who have experienced it , it part of the fishing some trips and days are better then others. I had 3 out of the 5 trips so far this year be boat rides for nodda and just a couple days before some of those trips it was wide open and 1 to 2 days after my bad trips it went wide open again. It sucks how far in advance we have to book trips these day. I have spent double what you guys spent on boat rides this year. You have to put the big boys pants on....
    YEP...that about SUMS IT UP

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    It called fishing and that the way the ball bounces sometimes. You don't always catch the fish. Even if you went to SCI right out the gates it still doesn't mean you would have killed it. It sucks and you feel like you were fucked trust me I know that feeling but there thousand of fisherman on this site who have experienced it , it part of the fishing some trips and days are better then others. I had 3 out of the 5 trips so far this year be boat rides for nodda and just a couple days before some of those trips it was wide open and 1 to 2 days after my bad trips it went wide open again. It sucks how far in advance we have to book trips these day. I have spent double what you guys spent on boat rides this year. You have to put the big boys pants on....
    you should of just had time fun being all together for the Bachelor party,
    catching Fish should just be A bonus ,
    if the Beer wasn't cold, then that's
    something to complain about.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Bait has been really bad lately, last trip I was on the bait boat was literally at the dock still when we were loading up. Bait was really bad all trip, but like many said that's fishing for you. So many variables we can't control. You just got the shit end of the stick this time.

Reactions: bdogie1
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I went to a restaurant based on the recommendation of people on a website that I don't know. It wasn't very good. Should I still have to pay?
    Well............yes you would.

But if you ordered a steak and got a hamburger instead because they ran out of steaks, would you have to pay the same price as the steak? No refund? No apology?

The OP got fed the wrong order. He couldn't send it back. He had to eat it.

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Stopping at the fuel barge, while "carrying passengers for hire" is irregular, to say the least. I'm not even sure it's legal. Did you actually take on fuel?

R
    Russo
    Irregular sure. Unheard of? No. The 1.5 boats turn and burn during the season and at times need to get fuel on the way in as they don't have time to drop off, head back to the fuel dock and then go back to pick up the next trip. I've been on multiple boats from different landings where this has occurred.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
    Pacific Beach
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Pequod
    My bachelor party featured a whole lot of "Rosie" which was a sick joke played on me by my 'best man" so at least you did better with the bait smell on your fingers.

The boat owner will hopefully hold his captain accountable for his obvious negligence and comp you. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    My last 2 day trip in early August the entire boat landed 7 yellows. It was snotty conditions and the water temp dropped 10 degrees so the entire fleet was struggling to find fish. We fished south of Ensenada on the 1st day and on the 2nd night the captain decided to make the long run towards Catalina to fish on the 2nd day.. doing 7 kts.. all the way. We got to the grounds at 11am, fished for 2 hours, caught no fish and had to turn back to SD. To boot, this was the first time on a trip where the food was pretty bad.. and I eat pretty much anything.

there are days like this when fishing. although skunked, I had a great time with my friends, and made some new ones. It’s a long journey.. and sometimes there’s bumps in the road. Hope you at least had a good time seeing your closest friends.

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Did you leave a tip of 20% or more that most Capt are asking for? :D

FYI that boat broke down a few weeks ago on a over nite , (one engine )
    They gave all passengers a re ride at a later date..

Upvote 0

djek81

Jun 4, 2020
    los angeles
    Name
    yellowfintail
    Boat
    h&m landing
    That sucks man. Yes. We all know fishing is fishing, and all captains/boats wanna catch fish but there are many variables that can't be controlled...
    But cmon...Even his crew know the captain fucked it up. You do have all the right to complain and deserve be comped.
    And the worst part of all this is his dishonesty. Captains/boats that lie on their report should be held accountable.

erichibler

Dec 12, 2018
    Concord
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2019 Allied Dominator 26
    I was on a trip a few months ago where a boat dumped all the bait, “accidentally” 20 minutes from the zone, on an overnighter, after heading West/south west, about 4 hours. Ended up missing out on a magical night bite on big bluefin that had been producing all week.

Everyone made the decision to head back, re-bait and hopefully make it back to the grounds at grey light.

Finished the day with full crew limits of yellowtail.

shit happens man.

Would you still ask for a refund if you guys would’ve ended with limits or had a decent day?

That’s showbiz baby!

Good luck with the

That sucks man. Yes. We all know fishing is fishing, and all captains/boats wanna catch fish but there are many variables that can't be controlled...
    But cmon...Even his crew know the captain fucked it up. You do have all the right to complain and deserve be comped.
    And the worst part of all this is his dishonesty. Captains/boats that lie on their report should be held accountable.
    The report was for their next trip, not mine. I mentioned that because obviously they went to Clemente like we should have and were rewarded. My trip was screwed because the captain didnt know how to read the naval closure and admitted he screwed up.

Upvote 0

djek81

Jun 4, 2020
    los angeles
    Name
    yellowfintail
    Boat
    h&m landing
    The report was for their next trip, not mine. I mentioned that because obviously they went to Clemente like we should have and were rewarded. My trip was screwed because the captain didnt know how to read the naval closure and admitted he screwed up.
    Thanks for clarifying. I have been on a boat where they lied on the fish count before. I have also been on bad trips and got skunk several times lol. At least he admitted he f'd up. I am sure the captain wanted to get you guys on fish tho. I'd just forget about the refund and move on. GL on your next trip.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    If you charter the boat and want a certain captain and fishing plan you need to communicate that with landing ahead of time. It is your call since it's you're charter. We've all had bad trips for various reasons, chalk it up to experience and don't fish with that boat/owner again.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

inSTANt bendo

Outrider Sportfishing
    Oct 1, 2003
    Temecula
    Name
    Stan
    Boat
    Outrider Sportfishing
    This past weekend was my bachelor party trip. I'm not going to say the charters name.. yet. I want to hear from the group what their thoughts are first. Here are the facts:
    My group consisted of 10 total, all flying from the SF Bay area.
    Four of us have been on multiple offshore charter trips out of SF and San Diego and have always felt we were given a good value for our money.
    I posted on this group back in February asking for 1.5 day recommendations, and this one charter kept popping up because the captain had an excellent track record for putting his clients on fish.
    I booked the trip back in February knowing i would get this particular captain.
    My group and i show up to the boat to discover our primary captain took the weekend off, and now we have this secondary captain we've never heard of. I don't like surprises, especially for a trip i invested a lot of my time and money into.
    This new captain told us there was a huge fleet off the south tip of Catalina and he didn't want to be a part of the zoo, but there was an EPIC yellowtail bite going on at the face of Clemente. He had said the Thunderbird caught over 100 there the day before. He really sold it to us that we would have lots of action and put a lot of meat on the deck. My buddies and I wanted bluefin/yellowfin, but i just wanted to have a good time with plenty of action for my group, so i agreed to head to Clemente. About an hour into our trip, the captain informs me there is a naval closure on Clemente so that plan is shot. He said he has a backup plan by going north between the islands where bluefin/yellowfin were caught a few days ago. I was really bummed but realized i didn't have much of a choice so i agreed to go searching for tuna basically by ourselves.
    We arrived to the zone around 6am, and we looked for sonar marks for hours. Our bait was dying by the minute, and we were not having any bites or action. The captain said his buddy boat fishing near us has plenty of good bait and he would meet up with them to grab some. He said this multiple times because the deckhands were complaining we were running out of bait, and the bait we had was all red and near dead, but we never met with the other boat for bait.
    Around 1pm, my phone starts beeping meaning i had random cell service. I checked marine traffic and saw there were a few charter boats fishing off Clemente where we had planned on going originally. I then checked the landing website and sure enough, one of the boats fishing off Clemente reported in at 9:30am they had over 30 yellowtail on board. I showed the captain and he was in disbelief. He re-checked his island closure website AND ADMITTED THAT HE READ THE INFO WRONG, AND THERE WAS NO CLOSURE THAT DAY. My buddies and i were livid. The captain made a few calls and confirmed the island was open, so we made the decision to head that way which took two solid hours. I think we arrived after 2pm to find the fleet had caught all the fish they could and moved out. Our bait was basically gone at that point. One of the deckhands hooked into a yellowtail and handed it off to my buddy who reeled it in. One other rat yellow was landed among 3 skip jack, and a few tiny rockfish. At 4pm, all of our bait was literally dead. My group of 10 was forced to switch to using irons and as i mentioned earlier, only 4 of us were experienced fisherman, so six of my buddies were scratching their heads using flat falls and knife jigs they had tied on from spending a fortune at the landing the night before. We had multiple sea lions circling the boat ever since we arrived and nothing bit when those were swimming around. At 7pm, i told the captain this isn't working, and asked that we try fishing schools of tuna that we could at least try using our $40+ knife jigs and flat falls. Captain agreed, and we headed home looking for sonar marks on the way back. We didn't stop until we arrived at the fuel barge at 3am, and then at the dock at 5:30am. As i woke up, a couple of my buddies stayed up late with the deckhands who told them the trip was bull shit, that we were screwed and should ask for a refund. The crew even said we were a really good group of clients because we weren't complaining and had positive attitudes.
    I felt horrible because this was the first time I've ever been able to get all my best buddies together to fish. We all took time off work, spent over $1k each, booked flights, and hardly any of us even got a bite. I landed a 10 inch barracuda. That was it.
    As i said before, I've been on multiple charters, and have been skunked my fair share, but never have i ever felt screwed like this. If this was an open charter, i wouldn't have been so upset, but this was my private bachelor party trip that i was hoping to make a yearly trip if we had a good time.

In summary, we spent over $7,000 on this 1.5 day trip. We didn't get the captain we signed up for, and our captain really sold us on fishing Yellowtail at Clemente but read the closure info wrong, and I had to inform him the island was open when i randomly got a signal more than half way through the trip.
    The very next day, i see a report on the landing website saying our boat called in with 25 yellowtail and 2 bluefin for their 9 anglers on their first day.
    I sent an email to the boat captain asking for a refund a couple days ago but have not heard back.

What are your thoughts? Am i right to be upset? Do i deserve a refund?
    Okay, there's quite a bit to dissect here, much of which isn't totally accurate or is coming from an emotional posture of over-expectation and anticipation due to being "the first time I've ever been able to get all my best buddies together to fish" and it being your bachelor party. And your post here doesn't exactly match the same claims in your emails and you conveniently leave out other key details like how the other boats at SCI had moved around the island as fishing was hit n' miss there too (NOT "I think we arrived after 2pm to find the fleet had caught all the fish they could and moved out." lol), you complained about sealions, etc. but that's okay. We get it, you want everything to be perfect for your big trip.

I spoke to Capt. Jeff and the rest of the team about the details and circumstances of your trip. While we empathize that you weren't satisfied with the outcome of your trip, by your own words in your lengthy emails, the Capt. actually did what YOU WANTED HIM TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE (go bluefin fishing because you had bought and rented all kinds of gear for it and your heart was clearly set on it)...he also attempted to improve the bait situation and call out to other boats to get better bait, but we cannot control whether they ultimately give us their bait or not. That situation is out of our control, which you also acknowledged in your email. When the bluefin (your chosen target) didn't cooperate, the decision was made to try SCI for yellowtail. The reason the fleet moved was because the fishing was hit and miss that day at SCI due to boat traffic, so they kept trying to find the fish. There was a zoo of boats there because the offshore weather on the outside turned and forced boats to stay inside and fish frontside of SCI. As for sealions that you mention in your email, we can't control them either.

For the record, the yellowtail in our fish count the following trip were NOT caught at San Clemente...they were caught at the Tanner Bank because the weather laid down enough to get back out there. Again, it was just an unlucky window on your trip which happens with fishing.

We understand that you are disappointed that you didn't catch fish. Unfortunately, we cannot guaranty catching fish and sometimes the bait, weather, fish not cooperating, sealions, etc. just doesn't work in your favor.

Sincere best wishes with your wedding and I hope your future fishing trips are "catching" trips.