bigfishsato
Oct 10, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
Garry
Boat
None
Question?
I'm considering picking up a small 2 speed Accurate for 40-50# line.
What do you all think about the shifter on these reels?

Bigfish

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I have a BX2400 for 40 lb.....love it. Good to cast and really smooth drags. Good cranking power too.

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
Tahoe
Name
Steve
Boat
clawfoot tub
The low speed engagement button has a strong spring, and I usually have to slide my thumb down to shift. A little awkward, but these little power houses are awesome. The Drags allow fishing a wider range of line class.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
The shifters on the small reels are good....much easier to shift than the ATDs.but if you could put a bigger button on them like you did with the bigger reels they would be even better.....

kcarnesmd

Jul 24, 2007
raleigh, nc
Name
ken
Boat
Regulator 31
Hey Garry,

For the 40-50# application I prefer the bx2-500, because of increased line capacity. Only slightly heavier than the 400, but you can definitely pack on more spectra. I like to use 60# hollow JB, and I can't seem to pack enough onto the 400 for my comfort level (especially with those 100# Alijos tuna). Just my 2 cents.

Ken

kcarnesmd

Jul 24, 2007
raleigh, nc
Name
ken
Boat
Regulator 31
Also to address your original question, I have had no issues with the shifting mechanism.

Ken

js_lind

Aug 28, 2006
Villa Park
Name
John
Boat
-
I have 2 BX2-500's, one for 40lb and one for 50lb. Both with 65lb solid spectra and a short section of JB hollow for knotless top shot connections. To answer your question: the shifting mechanism on these reels is great. No binding or difficulties shifting between high and low speed, super smooth drags and great cranking power. I've caught ytf up to 80lbs and halibut up to 140lbs. These are my favorite reels to fish. Pick one up...you'll like it!

JGROSS

Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Baby = sold boat
I love my BX2 - 500N. The spool is just wider than my thumb. It's super smooth and fits so nice in the hand for a 40# setup.

I plan on getting a BX2 - 600 very soon.

Cant go wrong with them.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I picked up a 665-2 when they came out with the new reels. Unfortunately mine likes to pop in high gear by itself during a fight. It is not my choice reel when I grab a stick. Maybe I expected too much from it being an Accurate...

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
I picked up a 665-2 when they came out with the new reels. Unfortunately mine likes to pop in high gear by itself during a fight. It is not my choice reel when I grab a stick. Maybe I expected too much from it being an Accurate...
Is the low gear pin bent/crooked? Is the spring in good shape, installed correctly? Is the handle nut lined up? Easy fix.

Love my small Accurates, Sato-san.

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
Garry, Not unless you build it yourself. I asked Erick, He said ATD'S only. I would change my Bx2,600'S also if I could...Paul