Poll: How many days per year on a sport boat?

How many days of fishing on a sport boat (yearly)?

• Total voters

BirdnestBill

Farmer
Jan 7, 2010
La Guaira Bank, Los Roques, Eastern Pacific
Name
Bill
Boat
Porque' No?
I rediscovered long range about four years ago, after 25+ yrs playing husband, father, and contributor to society (very debatable). Overnighters quickly turned in 5 day'rs and now pretty much 8-15 dayr's now that our "kids" are growing up. It's still hard balancing everything but there's always a trip to look forward to.

On average, how many days per year do you spend on on a sport boat? Do you see that increasing or decreasing and why?

OIF VET

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
I spend atleadt 35 days on the overnight fleet throught the year. That being said nothing compares to the long range fleet, but for trips up to 4 or 5 days max the pacific voyager is my all time favorite. I don't know why but I just love that boat.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I average 20-25 days per year. (three real trips and throw in the occasional 2 day....I quit doing the plain Jane overnight trips years ago).

Also do alot of partial day trips through the winter, R&D for Ed's Jigs. :D

as retirement approaches, I hope to be able to do some of the really long trips (RRIII) in the near future.

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I do 14 to 15 days a year. All on one trip. If finances allowed, I would do more (need vacation time too) but I work for a living, so my pocket isn't quite as deep as I would like it to be.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Ideally, it would be that 16-25 day range. A couple of trips, 8 day and a 15 day. Or two 8 days, one in the Spring, one in the Fall, and then a 3-4 dayer around Labor Day.

But, when you get to be an old fart, sometimes you need to take some time off to go to the alignment shop, maybe even some spare parts! ;)

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
been on the same sched for some yrs now. 36 days
8&6 day on Excel
two 8s and a 6 day on the Intrepid
from june to early sept
I do have an extra Excel 3 day in aug i'm signed up to take my son if he can go

brn2fis

Jul 6, 2005
Glendale
Name
Richard Jenkins
Boat
none
I do a 6 day and a 14 day on the AA, 4 trips on the Pacific Dawn and 4 trips on the Island Tak every year. Come back Birdnest we miss you.

LUCKY DAVE

Jan 19, 2007
Leucadia
Name
Ralph Kramden the Invincible
Boat
60' Hatteras sportfish
I always do one 15 day, and usually a 10 day, on the RRIII, and the wife and I spend about 100 days per year on our own boat.

LUCKY DAVE

Jan 19, 2007
Leucadia
Name
Ralph Kramden the Invincible
Boat
60' Hatteras sportfish

The Notorious S.U.A.

Sep 10, 2008
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
Sporties
I seem to recall you spending the day with us George........I didn't hear any complaining:rofl:
The caviar was mediocre at best and your de-humidifier in the forward salon wasnt working properly, my monocle kept fogging and it was hard to read the stock ticker.

CDA Dave

Trojan
Dec 29, 2010
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Name
Dave Ormsby
Boat
16' Willie drift boat
Bill- your question would have had a different answer from me yesterday. This morning I received notice that a great friend, co-worker, and fanatical fisherman. had a heart attack last evening and died. He was 59.
So my reply will now say that I am going to get on as many trips as I can, while I can. Probably 2-3 trips of 5-10 days, with a goal of increasing that after I retire in the next three years. I may even have to move closer to San Diego in order to take advantage of last minute opportunities.

Life is too short to put off doing what we love to do.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
13 days this year as I depart the day after turkey day :) Outside of that for the most part I'm on my own.

No LDR over and out!

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
I wonder what the poll would reflect if I added a 50+ choice? It's promising to see so many anglers out there who spend so much time on the water and supporting the industry.
I personally know two guys who fish long range over 60 days per yr. both old(most would have to be retired to take that much time off), both have the bucks to afford it

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
I think Bill Randle fishes the AA over 60+ days a year. Back in 1993 I went through a divorce. The only good thing that came out of it was more fishing time. I went from 1 trip a year to 3. Now that I'm retired it's at 4. As long as the money and my body hold out, I think 35-40 days is perfect.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I think Bill Randle fishes the AA over 60+ days a year. Back in 1993 I went through a divorce. The only good thing that came out of it was more fishing time. I went from 1 trip a year to 3. Now that I'm retired it's at 4. As long as the money and my body hold out, I think 35-40 days is perfect.
But your gal pal fishes with you, doesn't she? Tell you what, when I grow up, I want to be like Bill. I think last season, Randle did over 100 days.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Disclaimer. Since 2001 im lucky to get 1 to 5....previous five years was 10 to 100plus...dont know how i effed that up

pounder224

Every alley needs a long, tall Sally
Jan 11, 2006
Monrovia, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
A work in progress...
As of early October he was on pace to beat his 2011 total. He told me he spent 32 days last year on his way to or from Clarion.

But your gal pal fishes with you, doesn't she? Tell you what, when I grow up, I want to be like Bill. I think last season, Randle did over 100 days.

brn2fis

Jul 6, 2005
Glendale
Name
Richard Jenkins
Boat
none
As of early October he was on pace to beat his 2011 total. He told me he spent 32 days last year on his way to or from Clarion.

You guy's are way off. Bill is way over 100 this year and last year. I have spent 20 days with him this year and that was only two trips one 6 and one 14. He lives on the Boat:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: