POLL: fast or slow at night?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Steel Leader, Jul 13, 2009.

?

fast or slow at night?

1. fast (16-24+ knts)

16.2%
  2. slow (15 & below knts)

83.8%
  1. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    I always go slow...too much stuff out there and better for bait.

Story about crazy NorCalers.....

When I first moved to NorCal, my brother and I decided to check out the Delta. One area we found was called Frank's Tract, a shallow weed filled prop tangler about 100 acres around. We went during duck hunting season and during the day we could see dozen of floating duck blinds.

Our first night we spent just off of Frank's but could hear the late night party goers leaving Bethel Island, along one edge of Frank's, in their ski/jet boats. They were blasting across Frank's Tract for hours, 10-2 am, we were just waiting for one of them to find an old boat covered in weeds, duck blind.

2. Mikieb

Mikieb Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Crash & Burn
    Have to go fast,my fuel consumption is double if the boat isn't on plane. I've learned to trust my radar & feel comfortable in the dark, it took many years & Island crossings at midnite to feel this way. When I say fast I'm mean not plowing.

3. Rossm

Rossm Techguy

Name:
    Ross
    Boat:
    25, Skipjack "Hideout"
    An old, experienced professional captain once told me to never go faster at night than you are willing to hit something. I don't care if my fuel mileage suffers, it is better than ripping the outdrive off the boat and sinking. The ocean is a VERY unforgiving place and one mistake can cost you and your passengers their life. So SLOW DOWN and have a good time, if you are sinking you are NOT having a good time! SAFTEY FIRST above all other things.

4. olderfisher

olderfisher Newbie

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    n/a
    The fast guys think its not going to happen to them. like EL HEFE and the tuna pen, Or BLACKFISH HITTING the wall 2yrs ago when the swells were at 5' and his radar didn't pick it up. And after that wave hit nor cal. it put all kinds of junk in the water. I put a 6" hole in my hull when I hit a telephone pole under the surface at about 8-10 mph. IMO THE OLD BULL SAID IT RIGTH TO YOUNG BULL LETS GO SLOW WE CAN DO'EM ALL........GO SLOW AND DO IT RIGHT OR GO FAST AND MAKE MISTAKES. YOUR CHOICE!

5. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    I made a list of things that came to mind as i read this thread.

i have thousands of nights on the water.

Bioluminescence can help.

shipping container i know a guy who hit one in a 40' boat and ripped his props off and did not sink.

i have hit a whale at over 20 knots at night and ended up under the helm and stalled the motor but was fine and survived and usually go slower when whales are in an area usually evident by chlorophyll charts.

slow near shore not so much off shore.

I've found planes from long beach flying school under water queens gate entrance long beach.

I've only seen debris after storms in so cal.

Different safety level of skills sets.

I've seen fiberglass boats that have impacted metal and are no match even at 10 knots

Inflatable vest with PBL attached while in severe seas or at night ditch bag beside me and immersion suite.

Eyes adjust at night and light especially deck lights impairs the night vision especially bow lights lol

Usually no boats around me at night and stay clear of shipping lanes.

usually no passengers.

I've broken off my outdrive and didn't sink the are designed for this and importaint to check the transome annually for dry rot.

seen allot of thease threads over the years and usually the majority of go slow guys are guys who can only go slow and guys who can go fast do especially guys with allot of experience.

Usually my focus is on the water hunting looking in the water for bioluminescence and have seen object emitting bioluminescence bounceing in the water at night.

Poor visibility fog i go slower.

I haven't seen many logs in so cal off shore and usually only after hard core storms do i see small logs.

Fastest i've been at night was over 50 knots and 90+ durring the day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSYWd_IGO8

6. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Look like in some of the pictures the tugs propped the bulbous bows.

Maybe we can get some of the swamp loggers from Louisiana to work off shore ?

Attached Files:

7. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    I picked up 3 4"x6" studs out of the water near the 182 yesterday......that would ruin somebody's' day/night traveling at any speed.......

8. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    i usually travel at 20kts. kind of fast, i know, kind of unsafe, i know. @ 20kts i usually get about 3mi per gallon, that's the main reason , plus the ride is usually pretty nice at this speed.

9. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    To all the guys who are putting me and my passengers at risk because they think they can get better mileage, thanks a lot for your concern.

I’ve travelled a lot of miles in different boats going very slow and up on plane and the go slow mileage is far superior to the go fast mileage. After 8kts my mileage starts to drop and doesn’t improve until I hit 20kts. I use both and prefer 23 knots when visibility and water conditions permit.

As I tell my passengers before every trip, safety is first, and then have a good time. If we catch fish that’s icing on the cake.

10. MATTANZA

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}

11. Mikieb

Mikieb Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Crash & Burn

I tell my passengers shut up & hang on. If you catch a fish 1/2 of it's mine !:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. MATTANZA

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    i like your style! especially gettin 1/2 thier fish.

13. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    You can't see the chain/rope between a barge and tug at night but you might be able to see the tug or barge if you aren't hauling ass. Same with a Seiner and a tuna pen, logs or crap from Japan after that mess.

14. Tinknocker

Tinknocker Captain

Name:
    Stan Vath
    Boat:
    18' WAHOO CC
    Having traveled thousands of hours and miles on the open sea from Nantucket to sunny So Cal via the Panama Canal, I can assure you only a fool would run over 10 knots after dark. Lost containers, lame sail boaters w/o lights, and other obstructions you cannot see on radar are out there and you are playing Russian Roulette. We have all read the horror stories of collisions at night. It is lack of common sense and on the water experience that attributes these avoidable collisions. Just use your head, radar and common sense and you will be OK 99.9% of the time. JMO

15. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    PFD's at night and slow the fuck down.

Thud or THUD.

What is the difference?

If you can not see ahead, have your ditch bag at hand.

16. netspytr

netspytr Newbie

Name:
    Adam Rawlins
    Boat:
    01 Striper 2300 Reel Bent
    Its not really a problem for me, I get about 3 MPG when 12-15knts slow all day.....much safer...

17. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    I got my PDF on and my ditch backpack on my back running 35kts all night long with my eyes closed.

Barges aint got shit on me!

18. allelect

allelect Fishmaster

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Uniflite Predator
    Slower than 8 is right

19. Mikieb

Mikieb Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Crash & Burn
    Most 6 packs run 14 knots at night, even more so now they all got new engines.

20. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    my last boat had a FLIR,only time in close to 40 years of running at night where I did not have a puckered bunghole.Cant wait to get one on my new boat.Expensive but its about the same a my deductable.Tom