PENN

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
We had an awesome day 1/2 trip, one to remember. Boat total count was 41, I think because I went to sleep after 38 were on deck and someone said we put 3 more on.

All fish were 90 to 160 except 1 fish at probably 45 lbs. I personally hooked 8 fish, boated 3, handed off 2 fish and lost 3. I got completely spooled on one of my lost fish, fishing strictly 65 braid/60 top-shot.

Started fishing at 11 PM as soon as we got to the grounds. It was a plunker bite with one or 2 going at all times, mostly flat falls. At 2 AM we started to get a few fish on the sinker rigs and that is when it really turned on. Sinker rigs were out fishing flat falls 3 to 1 with five fish going until sunlight. We had a lot of break-offs due to tangles and inexperienced anglers who never fish larger models.

Weather was perfect, bait was awesome, captain and crew were first class and meals made sure you had energy.

This trip was not so much about quantity, but the quality of every fish over the rail was just awesome.

20210526_062323.jpg

20210525_032454.jpg

20210526_061159.jpg

20210525_120311.jpg

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Hot stick! What's the story on the mangled tuna?
I had this fish a deep color in a nice death circle. Out of nowhere the biggest fur bag I ever seen jumps on the back of my tuna and starts chewing on his head. I buttoned down the drag to full and would get my fish back, put a few winds and he attacked again, again and again.

I never seen that "tuna fishing" before in my 50 years of fishing. I had them eat almost everything else, but not a 150 lb tuna. He was pissed and growled at the crew when they gaffed it, LOL

grayghost13

• Apr 25, 2008
    Seal Beach
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Malibu Kayak
    I had this fish a deep color in a nice death circle. Out of nowhere the biggest fur bag I ever seen jumps on the back of my tuna and starts chewing on his head. I buttoned down the drag to full and would get my fish back, put a few winds and he attacked again, again and again.

I never seen that "tuna fishing" before in my 50 years of fishing. I had them eat almost everything else, but not a 150 lb tuna. He was pissed and growled at the crew when they gaffed it, LOL
    That is nuts!

That reminds me of a story my dad is still bitter about.

He hooked a 30 pound plus halibut with a big knothead sealion circling and the deck hand was slow to get to the rail with the gaff when it was at color. He tells the deckhand to hurry and gaff it because of the sealion. The deckhand responds that there is no rush because; "sealions won't eat big halibut."

The halibut sees the boat, wakes up, and goes on a run which ends with a slack line and the sealion munching on a massive flattie 50 yards from the boat.

I don't think he will ever let that go.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer

huntconrad

Apr 3, 2020
    Nor CAl
    Name
    Hunt Conrad
    Boat
    22 foot whitewater jetcraft
    What a difference a day makes. I was on the trip before you and it was originally scheduled for 3 days and then shortened to 1.5. Nobody fished the 2 days before us and the water had all come unconnected. Weather was 25-35 and 8-10 foot seas. We ended up with 9 total. 4 flat fall, 3 kite and 2 sinker. I fished hard for 27 hours and was lucky enough to get drawn on a kite fish. 197#

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Yea these seals are getting crazy... Ive been seeing the mex navy doing some target practicing lately. On the offshore dogs. Tuna eating seals... first time I saw that was last year when they were taking YF. Now there jumping on BF...

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
    Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
    Jul 22, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    n/a
    Good job Bro!
    Saw you guys when we got off the Aztec.
    We did OK but not as well as you guys.
    We were further south, by the seiners, and got most during the 9-11 a.m. hour.
    We lost 4 100+ pounders to 600-700 pound seals as well.
    My buddy was one of them.

Thanks for the same day report.

Robert

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Because the lighter line was getting bit better than 100 braid/80 top shot. I got bit 8 times, some people didn't get a bite. I fish what works for me and that is not always what the 20 year old deck hands or a captain tells me.

Been told by the deckhands many a times knot to fish a certain lure.
    Bingo!! Then they stand by you and your JP fish for pics and HIGH 5'vs.

Happy College Basketball GIF by Butler University

Upvote 0

furgus

Nov 30, 2005
    Anaheim
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    none
    Because the lighter line was getting bit better than 100 braid/80 top shot. I got bit 8 times, some people didn't get a bite. I fish what works for me and that is not always what the 20 year old deck hands or a captain tells me.

this^^^ I was on this trip and couldn't get bit on 80.
    I got 4 bites on 60. Only one bit through and another sawed off by someone at color. These fish are mean and agree 80 would be better, but just wasn't working for me either.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Awesome boat, report, and pictures! You got on a good one.

Upvote 0

Latest posts