Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
So if you guys had known there was no refund think you might have opted to go back out and fish the nados or something or just packed it in?
Good point. I probably would not have chosen that option. Just pack it in and go home.

EDIT:
After thinking about what you said, that option should have been suggested by the Captain. He could have dropped off the passenger, and gone to the Coronados or spent the day out fishing for the bluefin.

This would have solved or minimized the time lost and any refund problems. Lack of experience by the Captain without a Plan B?

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Hate too Throw Tommy R. under the bus, but as far as up coming maintenance and repair issue's he picked the perfect time to sell the boat.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Hate too Throw Tommy R. under the bus, but as far as up coming maintenance and repair issue's he picked the perfect time to sell the boat.
    The boat didn't come in early because of maintenance or repair issues.
    If you were going to sell a car, wouldn't you sell it before major maintenance was due on it? I am quite sure the buyer knew of what had to be done on the boat, and it probably affected what the price paid.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    The boat didn't come in early because of maintenance or repair issues.
    If you were going to sell a car, wouldn't you sell it before major maintenance was due on it? I am quite sure the buyer knew of what had to be done on the boat, and it probably affected what the price paid.
    You should really read the whole thread, OP said the trip started out with a delay and this very same boat had to limp in from a trip(not long ago) just started because a gear box went out, if the NEW owner knew and had the backing of Mr. big wouldn't have you put the boat down for a trip and repaired what you knew was wrong instead of limping back in with paying customers on board? a marine gear box is very simple and it gives you plenty of warning before it gives out, definitely not a 15 speed truck trans and BTW they tell you when they've had it

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    What became of the out of town anglers who had no place to stay because of coming in a day early? We're they offered to spend the night on the boat?
    I just talked to a passenger from Oregon.
    No compensation. No offer to stay on the boat.
    It cost him $110.00 for a room at the Ramada. He stayed there because there was more to do on that side of town.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    You should really read the whole thread, OP said the trip started out with a delay and this very same boat had to limp in from a trip(not long ago) just started because a gear box went out, if the NEW owner knew and had the backing of Mr. big wouldn't have you put the boat down for a trip and repaired what you knew was wrong instead of limping back in with paying customers on board? a marine gear box is very simple and it gives you plenty of warning before it gives out, definitely not a 15 speed truck trans and BTW they tell you when they've had it
    They have been running since April of this year on a full schedule. Very little down time. Don't know about last year.

How can anyone foresee a gear box problem that far in advance?.....NO ONE.
    OR maybe you think sawdust was poured down there to quiet things down?

The new Owner poured a bunch of money into the boat before even starting to run a full time schedule. Engine room money. The only cosmetic was paint. He's well qualified in boat maintenance.

The only way to be sure would be to change things out based on the hours run on each unit. Do you honestly think all boats do that? The engine perhaps.

EDIT:
    It was not the gear box that went out. It was the Port Main. The engine lost oil pressure.

Last edited:

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Sorry about the subpar fishing and to the end of a long standing annual tradition. On the brighter side, you can start a new relationship with another boat and start building new, more positive memories. Aliyar is a great captain, but it sounds like the PS is taking a step away from its LR clientele, and focusing in on the shorter trips.. can’t blame them since the BFT are so close.

Reactions: Cubeye

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Third time ive heard negative comments regarding this boat in as many months,bummed because i liked to ride it with tommy and wouldnt have hesitated to ride with aliyar.I think alot of the boats are loving this easy money bluefin and being booked up all the time but customer service skills shouldnt suffer because those bluefin wont be here forever(I think,lol).

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    This exact thing happened to me on my July five day trip on the American Angler.
    I get an eye infection one week prior to departure. I go to Urgent Care and he prescribes an Rx. Now my vision is blurred so I go back to Urgent Care. He states there no other medication that he can prescribe.

This is the day before departure. Long story short, I go to Costco, as I was unable to see my ophthalmologist or optometrist. She says don't go. The problem is not severe now but could get very bad very quickly.

I call Lori, and tell he my problem and because she would not be able to fill my spot, I tell her to keep all the money (Paid in full). She says no, and asks me if I wanted a FULL cash refund or transfer the money to another trip.

Can you imagine that? Full refund if I wanted it and no "service fee". I chose to move the money to next year's trip

I realize that every situation is different, and refunds can change with each situation, but in my opinion, the American Angler is the BEST.
    This is way the AA Brian, Ray and Lori get my money to fish with them. First class service because they get it.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Good points. I never thought of that. And the crew and food, along with fuel are the major cost of the trip.

At this point the refund is of little or no value, because the Owner, one week after the trip, has deleted the 8 day trip from the Schedule and replaced it with 3, 3, and 2 day trips. Can you imagine that? Most, if not all, boats give the present passengers time to sign up for the next year, but not this Owner.
    So if he were to give a refund, it would be in the form of a credit towards a future trip, but next years trip has been eliminated, so they would have to find another trip to go on. Unlikely, in my opinion.

So, if he were to give a refund, most people would not take advantage of it. The Owner would look good, and wouldn't have to dish out any money. Win, win for him.

Pure speculation, but it seems like the goal was to eliminate the 8 day before it even left port. Why the speculation? Because one 3 day is already full. AS soon as it was posted.

I must of missed something, What does this have to do with Cubeyes trip? FYI When the New Owner took over the Boat, A Major maintenance was done and a new paint job. They dropped some serious money on that boat before it made any trips with the new owners! I find it hard pressed that Tommy ran the boat into the ground.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I'm dumbfounded that they cancelled a 20+ year charter without notifying anybody.

Reactions: Soda Pop and Cubeye
    W
    woodfish330
    Brother... its been done for decades...so this isn't an isolated incident. There are other factors at play.... I'm sure of it. Not popular... but happens more than you think.
    Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I'm dumbfounded that they cancelled a 20+ year charter without notifying anybody.
    It appears to have been planned, but I could be wrong.
    The Owner called the charter master weeks prior to departure and asked him how many people would be coming back for 2022. Now how can anyone know that? He talked about cutting up the 8 day trip into 2-3-3 day trips if he couldn't fill it.

One week after the trip, the 8 day is dropped from the schedule and replaced with 2-3-3 day trips, and one of them was filled the same day it was posted. Coincidence? I think not.

Another 8 day was dropped from the schedule prior to our 8 day. Same scenario.

Can you see a trend here?

• Angry
    Reactions: hhal

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Damn! That sucks! I thought we were now going to have a long range option out of Seaforth! Free parking, fishy boat, etc. I would have booked a trip with them in the future for sure! Now?......I don't know.

Upvote 0

Tymeflyme

Almost A Member
    Feb 14, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    Isabel
    Third time ive heard negative comments regarding this boat in as many months,bummed because i liked to ride it with tommy and wouldnt have hesitated to ride with aliyar.I think alot of the boats are loving this easy money bluefin and being booked up all the time but customer service skills shouldnt suffer because those bluefin wont be here forever(I think,lol).

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    This whole thread leaves me a little bummed and befuddled... I fished this boat once and had a good time. I've looked at this exact long-time charter and considered jumping on (if there was an opening). And I've been invited on another longtime 8-day charter on this boat.

The cancelling of this particular long-running charter for several shorter trips just smacks of profit over... well, take your choice... "goodwill," "customer satisfaction," "good business practices..." As someone said, I'm dumbfounded...

Here's an oddity I've noticed on this particular boat's website...
    #polarissupreme #seaforthlanding #sportfishing #offshorefishing #fish #tuna #tunafishing #fisherman #longrangefishing #guadalupeisland #yellowfintuna
    I don't even know what all these "hashtags" mean... (yeah, I'm getting old)... but I'm guessing it's all about "me, me, now, now..."

I booked a 4-day on the Vagabond last year. A last minute medical issue with a family member (not Covid related) caused me to cancel less than a week before my trip. I'd paid in full and fully expected to lose my entire payment. I emailed them and they graciously applied the ENTIRE amount to my upcoming 10-day. Talk about customer service. Talk about retaining a loyal customer. Talk about doing sound business with an eye to the future...

As some have referenced, it would seem the American Angler is in the same league as the Vagabond (and I'm sure other LR boats)...

Talking with Mike on last year's trip, he said "Nobody is doing this to get rich, we do it because we love it." And that's the kind of guy/operation that I'll stick with.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    As far as making a lot of money owning and operating a Long Range Boat.

A well respected Long Range captain shared with us, the new owners of a newly purchased boat asked him, in their fourth year of ownership:

“When do these boats start making money?”

Reactions: nicodemus

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    It appears to have been planned, but I could be wrong.
    The Owner called the charter master weeks prior to departure and asked him how many people would be coming back for 2022. Now how can anyone know that? He talked about cutting up the 8 day trip into 2-3-3 day trips if he couldn't fill it.

One week after the trip, the 8 day is dropped from the schedule and replaced with 2-3-3 day trips, and one of them was filled the same day it was posted. Coincidence? I think not.

Another 8 day was dropped from the schedule prior to our 8 day. Same scenario.

Can you see a trend here?

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    No one so far. But during our emergency meeting, the Captain stated that we are leaving and would be compensated for the lost day. And he did ask if that was OK with everyone. Can you imagine anyone saying no?

I would not expect the passenger to pay. Empathy kicks in here and if I were in his shoes, I would hope everyone on board would cooperate, and they did. I can't think of anyone that would say "no, I want to fish one more day". Well.............maybe one, but he's dead.

We, the passengers, all got an email stating that because we all "volunteered" to come home a day early, we would not be reimbursed by the boat. But because we left port 5 hours late (actually 6 hours) , due to mechanical problems, we would be given $100.00 credit towards another trip. That's credit. No reimbursement. This is usually how they operate.

If anyone who rode on this trip disagrees with the above statements, please chime in. I'm not trying to bash. Simply stating facts as I see them.
    UPDATE:
    Apparently they was some mis-communication between the Owner and Captain in reference to coming home early.

At first, he stated that there would be no refund for coming home early, because we "voted" to do so. After a few conversations with the Owner, he talked to the Captain when he came back to port to confirm the statements he made during the emergency meeting.

Bottom line, the Owner sent out a email stating that we would be credited
    for:
    1. The lost time due to mechanical repairs before departure.
    2. Lost fishing time due to coming home a day early.

I can understand that the boat is not responsible to compensate passengers for Home emergencies and that there was no disagreement as to coming home a day early. Had the Captain not stated that we would be credited for the lost fishing time, item #2 would be mute.

QUESTION:
    Has anyone received such a credit?
    Can this Credit be transferred to another angler without penalty?

Upvote 0