kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    No one so far. But during our emergency meeting, the Captain stated that we are leaving and would be compensated for the lost day. And he did ask if that was OK with everyone. Can you imagine anyone saying no?

I would not expect the passenger to pay. Empathy kicks in here and if I were in his shoes, I would hope everyone on board would cooperate, and they did. I can't think of anyone that would say "no, I want to fish one more day". Well.............maybe one, but he's dead.

We, the passengers, all got an email stating that because we all "volunteered" to come home a day early, we would not be reimbursed by the boat. But because we left port 5 hours late (actually 6 hours) , due to mechanical problems, we would be given $100.00 credit towards another trip. That's credit. No reimbursement. This is usually how they operate.

If anyone who rode on this trip disagrees with the above statements, please chime in. I'm not trying to bash. Simply stating facts as I see them.
    :eek::eek:

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Think about credit for one day of this trip. Sorry for the inconvenience, here’s a $400 credit towards your next trip. That says, we want you to come back…

B-BOYS

Sunny Days
  • Jun 23, 2016
    Orange County
    Name
    Parry
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    3F75113B-732F-4F7A-B4C8-979954DCBAFD.gif

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    It sucks you had a rough trip and hopefully the passenger’s wife makes a full recovery. We’ve all been on tough trips before.

Have to say while the group voted to come in a day early it was a piss poor decision by the boat to not credit or reimburse for the lost day. It’s a pretty short term way of doing business and trying to build a following. Yes it wasn’t the boats fault or a result of anything to do with the operation but I promise you they took full advantage to do needed boat work and get some extra rest something they wouldn’t have had or been able to do otherwise.

Missed opportunity for them to make a great statement to these customers and any potential future customers.
    Very true, as the toilet on the main deck had a leak and no one on board was able to stop it. It looked to me like the Flange Gasket and so the toilet needed to be removed and the gasket replaced. On land it would be a wax ring. I've done many of them.

I'm sure they did other repairs and had a day to rest on land on our dime.

The email sent to us was clear. I have talked to some on the trip and they have decided to take their business elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Sucks to hear about your trip especially when I am sure you probably planned it a year ago. Fish enough and you will eventually get cancellations and shortened trips for a variety of reasons. Par for the course and fish on.
    This was an annual trip for me. I've been going on this boat with this, and previous, charter masters since the early 1990s. Back then, it was a 5 day.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I know this topic has been "Beaten to Death" here on BD.... as of late. Probably the most "controversial" posts of this summer...were on this exact subject.... and the different responses by boat owners and anglers alike.

Like it or not...... this happens "regularly" when dealing with so many unknown "contributing factors"... and the results.... in hind sight. "COST OF DOING BUSINESS" and what that entails is our debate here.

Did not the EXACT same boat... just have a "similar" refund situation? What was the result? Twice in such a short period is truly unfortunate.... but must be dealt with.... I believe.... with some consistancy.

Sorry CUBEYE...If this is the "New direction" of that boats policies.... and IT IS the Owners decision.... adjust accordingly Brother. Find a suitable replacement.... there are plenty of other nice LR boats to ride on. Who knows.... maybe find a NEW favorite boat that will take better care of its customers. I wish them luck.... and clear hindsight.... and hope they do whats necessary to maintain the boats perceived public Image. Personally I believe the "judge" has spoken....

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    That’s a bummer about your trip. I was out on a different boat the week before you and had a very good trip.

I wonder if you had an attorney on your trip that could send a quick letter to the big guy. Since you “volunteered” to come in a week early, after being told you’d be reimbursed for the trip, I think this would be a fairly easy case to win, just not worth attorney fees for a $400 payout.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    That’s a bummer about your trip. I was out on a different boat the week before you and had a very good trip.

I wonder if you had an attorney on your trip that could send a quick letter to the big guy. Since you “volunteered” to come in a week early, after being told you’d be reimbursed for the trip, I think this would be a fairly easy case to win, just not worth attorney fees for a $400 payout.
    The thought never entered my mind, but a Small Claims Action?.......NO, just kidding.

It's possible that there has been some mis-communication between the Captain and the Owner. Perhaps he neglected to tell the Owner that he told us, passengers, that we would get a refund. Only that we "voted" to come back one day early.

I was told that others had called the office in reference to their refund.

Unanswered questions will get straightened out when Aliyar comes back to port.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Was the guys wife a "high risk" patient prior to departure, or was her emergency completely unexpected?

Compassion and empathy come into play, especially if someone close to you is in the same situation.

Would you go on a LR voyage knowing your significant other was highly likely to need hospitalization during your trip?

How about if they had someone to be there in the unfortunate event that medical intervention were necessary?

If your doctor said you shouldn't go due to a medical condition that could put your health/life at risk, would you ignore them and go after all?

Would you inform the front office, captain/crew, fellow passengers?

Reactions: dtf
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    If your doctor said you shouldn't go due to a medical condition that could put your health/life at risk, would you ignore them and go after all
    This exact thing happened to me on my July five day trip on the American Angler.
    I get an eye infection one week prior to departure. I go to Urgent Care and he prescribes an Rx. Now my vision is blurred so I go back to Urgent Care. He states there no other medication that he can prescribe.

This is the day before departure. Long story short, I go to Costco, as I was unable to see my ophthalmologist or optometrist. She says don't go. The problem is not severe now but could get very bad very quickly.

I call Lori, and tell he my problem and because she would not be able to fill my spot, I tell her to keep all the money (Paid in full). She says no, and asks me if I wanted a FULL cash refund or transfer the money to another trip.

Can you imagine that? Full refund if I wanted it and no "service fee". I chose to move the money to next year's trip

I realize that every situation is different, and refunds can change with each situation, but in my opinion, the American Angler is the BEST.

Steve K
    Steve K
    Over the years a great number of us anglers and the entire staff of the American Angler have built relationships. It’s people to people, and Lori is very gracious and accommodating.

As I’m sure many of you guys have developed relationships with the staff of your favorite boats.
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Cubeye; I have not ever been in the situation you have described, and I have doing long Range for a number of years. Since I am getting OLDER (73), I have started buying trip insurance, hoping I never have to use it. A Lot of us Long Rangers are getting older, and our bodies have taken a toll over the years. Thing happen to us, and it take us MUCH longer to recover than when we were younger.
    Bloody Decks allows us to refine our boat choices for trips we want to take. One major owner has his hand in 3-4 boats, and is probably worth $$$ more than Most people in San Diego. I understand it is a business, but good customer relations is a big part of the business, especially when their are so many other choices we can make to go fishing. Let us know if things change about the 1 day refund.
    I had thought about riding one of the Major Owners boats, but NOT NOW !!!!!

Upvote 0

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Bummer cubeye,thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    This was an annual trip for me. I've been going on this boat with this, and previous, charter masters since the early 1990s. Back then, it was a 5 day.
    I like the way you said "It WAS an annual trip" It's truly sad that you didn't get credited. It was a win situation for the other Investor not having to cough up close to 10K and not having to pay his crew for a day and the food for a day, that wasn't served to you, Will be served on the next trip and saving the other Investor for not needing to purchase a day supply of food. little things like this will lose customers fast.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I like the way you said "It WAS an annual trip" It's truly sad that you didn't get credited. It was a win situation for the other Investor not having to cough up close to 10K and not having to pay his crew for a day and the food for a day, that wasn't served to you, Will be served on the next trip and saving the other Investor for not needing to purchase a day supply of food. little things like this will lose customers fast.
    Good points. I never thought of that. And the crew and food, along with fuel are the major cost of the trip.

At this point the refund is of little or no value, because the Owner, one week after the trip, has deleted the 8 day trip from the Schedule and replaced it with 3, 3, and 2 day trips. Can you imagine that? Most, if not all, boats give the present passengers time to sign up for the next year, but not this Owner.
    So if he were to give a refund, it would be in the form of a credit towards a future trip, but next years trip has been eliminated, so they would have to find another trip to go on. Unlikely, in my opinion.

So, if he were to give a refund, most people would not take advantage of it. The Owner would look good, and wouldn't have to dish out any money. Win, win for him.

Pure speculation, but it seems like the goal was to eliminate the 8 day before it even left port. Why the speculation? Because one 3 day is already full. AS soon as it was posted.

• Angry
    Reactions: hhal and kevina
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Think about credit for one day of this trip. Sorry for the inconvenience, here’s a $400 credit towards your next trip. That says, we want you to come back…
    Yeah, but he doesn't want us to come back. Deleting the 8 day from the schedule and replacing it with three short trips proves that.

• Angry
    Reactions: hhal

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    All boats should have a trip refund policy posted covering people, injuring, death, home emergency and all mechanical problems. Sorry about your trip find a new ride and keep fishing this will be just a small taking point going forward. Hope the mans wife is ok
    Not to give you 1 day refund shows no compassion and a money monger So sad

Last edited:
    Reactions: kbray001 and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Cubeye; I have not ever been in the situation you have described, and I have doing long Range for a number of years. Since I am getting OLDER (73), I have started buying trip insurance, hoping I never have to use it. A Lot of us Long Rangers are getting older, and our bodies have taken a toll over the years. Thing happen to us, and it take us MUCH longer to recover than when we were younger.
    Bloody Decks allows us to refine our boat choices for trips we want to take. One major owner has his hand in 3-4 boats, and is probably worth $$$ more than Most people in San Diego. I understand it is a business, but good customer relations is a big part of the business, especially when their are so many other choices we can make to go fishing. Let us know if things change about the 1 day refund.
    I had thought about riding one of the Major Owners boats, but NOT NOW !!!!!
    Yes, it is a business, and I give credit to him. He's a very smart businessman.
    He has a Long Range boat
    He has a Medium Range boat
    He has a Day/Overnight boat
    And now he has a Short Range boat
    All bases covered.

And let me just say this. He has done a lot for the industry, and has helped many boat owners when they were just starting out.

But when you're that successful, there's always a dark side.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    So if you guys had known there was no refund think you might have opted to go back out and fish the nados or something or just packed it in?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    But when you're that successful, there's always a dark side
    I’ve witnessed the dark side of the way he does business. Ruthless, dishonest, downright mean in one of his ventures, resulting in a lawsuit finally settled out of court.

There was another lawsuit years ago resulting from him hitting a guy in the head with a frozen fish.

I’m sure there have been others. Sure, he’s helped a lot of guys get their start in the business and helped them further their careers, helping them by financing the purchase of their own boats. One of them told us: “He’s so misunderstood.”

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Yeah, but he doesn't want us to come back. Deleting the 8 day from the schedule and replacing it with three short trips proves that.
    I think it’s more driven by the higher profit margin on the shorter trips. Less fuel burn and overhead plus more turns. We’ll probably see more of this as long as the bluefin are around. Crappy way to handle a long standing charter though

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I’ve witnessed the dark side of the way he does business. Ruthless, dishonest, downright mean in one of his ventures, resulting in a lawsuit finally settled out of court.

There was another lawsuit years ago resulting from him hitting a guy in the head with a frozen fish.

I’m sure there have been others. Sure, he’s helped a lot of guys get their start in the business and helped them further their careers, helping them by financing the purchase of their own boats. One of them told us: “He’s so misunderstood.”
    Yeah he can be brutal but he also has helped a lot of folks in a lot of ways that has benified all of us that long range fish.

All your points are valid but using your logic why do any of you shop WalMart? They’ve done the exact same thing to small businesses everywhere in an even more cutthroat way and yet people still flock to them and spend their money there

Steve K
    Steve K
    I’ve always enjoyed it, any time I’m on a trip on the Rooster…
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0