Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat Name
17' Gregor
This is a partial trip report of the Beck 8 day which turned out to be a 7 day trip.

The fishing portion:
We headed for the Ridge. Why the Ridge and not Guadalupe merits further discussion which is not suitable for this short report.

Fist stop is San Pablo for a few small yellowtail.

Next stop is the 13 spot on the Ridge. We arrive at around 5:00am, just in time for the larger size tuna to start biting. We fish there for two mornings for school size YFT 8-40#. A few between 30-40#. Most of the tuna were under 20#. Lots of skipjack and 10# YFT.

Typical Combat Fishing. I'm sure everyone has been there. Lots of tangles, cut offs, people following their fish running parallel to the boat and cutting all the vertical lines off. Lots of fun huh?

The afternoons were spent trolling for wahoo, for very little.

After two days at the 13 and 23 spots, we head north, and stop on a high spot for small yellowtail, grouper and trigger fish. Imagine that..............a long range boat fishing for trigger fish.

Next stop, San Pablo for a few small yellowtail. During this time, the captain gets a call from Home.
It seems that one of the passenger's wife had a stroke, and is in ICU. He calls us in and informs us of the situation and that we will be heading home a day early. He also states that we will get reimbursed for the lost day. There was no objection to this decision.

The rest of the trip: Boat, crew, etc.
Captain Aliyar can find fish with the best of them. Abe cooks well.
As for the rest of the report, I could find very little on the positive side so I will end the report here.

Why?
Because it would take too long to discuss everything in detail.
Because half of Bloody Deckers love the Drama of Negative reports, while the other half love to
bash those who post negative reports even though they know Nothing about the boat or the trip.
Therefore I choose to not participate. AND please spare me the details about discussing it with the Captain, as he was well aware of the problems.

If I missed anything, or am incorrect in my report , please...............those that were on the trip correct me.

Last edited:

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat Name
    Independence
    This is a partial trip report of the Beck 8 day which turned out to be a 7 day trip.

The fishing portion:
    We headed for the Ridge. Why the Ridge and not Guadalupe merits further discussion which is not suitable for this short report.

Next stop is the 13 spot on the Ridge. We arrive at around 5:00am, just in time for the larger size tuna to start biting. We fish there for two mornings for school size YFT 8-40#. A few between 30-40#. Most of the tuna were under 20#. Lots of skipjack and 10# YFT.

Typical Combat Fishing. I'm sure everyone has been there. Lots of tangles, cut offs, people following their fish running parallel to the boat and cutting all the vertical lines off. Lots of fun huh?

After two days at the 13 and 23 spots, we head north, and stop on a high spot for small yellowtail, grouper and trigger fish. Imagine that..............a long range boat fishing for trigger fish.

Next stop, San Pablo for a few small yellowtail. During this time, the captain gets a call from Home.
    It seems that one of the passenger's wife had a stroke, and is in ICU. He calls us in and informs us of the situation and that we will be heading home a day early. He also states that we will get reimbursed for the lost day.

As for the rest of the report, I could find very little on the positive side so I will end the report here.

Why?
    Because half of Bloody Deckers love the Drama of Negative reports, while the other half love to
    bash those who post negative reports even though they know Nothing about the boat or the trip.
    Therefore I choose to not participate. AND please spare me the details about discussing it with the Captain, as he was well aware of the problems.

If I missed anything, or am incorrect in my report , please...............those that were on the trip correct me.
    I am with you, been there done that, Sounds like the PS is still working out the kinks of new ownership.

Reactions: Cubeye and Tunahead

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I am with you, been there done that, Sounds like the PS is still working out the kinks of new ownership.
    “Aliyar can find fish with the best of them. Abe cooks well.”

Best, most experienced captain can’t make only the 25 lb tuna bite, or make Wahoo eat the jigs. Supreme has had a terrific season. Aliyar is good at what he does.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report and info. OK trip.
    Glad ya got some fish.
    Good job leaving out the negative stuff.
    There's plenty of that on here already. LOL

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Great report and info. OK trip.
    Glad ya got some fish.
    Good job leaving out the negative stuff.
    There's plenty of that on here already. LOL
    Leaving out the Negative stuff?? Sounds like it was a all around negative trip negative trip, without going into play by play!!! Read between the lines!!!! He's being a gentlemen for not going any further details with all the negative stuff on the trip!!

Upvote 0

Kevin A

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport

The fishing portion:

It seems that one of the passenger's wife had a stroke, and is in ICU. He calls us in and informs us of the situation and that we will be heading home a day early. He also states that we will get reimbursed for the lost day.

Why?

Sorry to hear about the trip, One of those trips you've got to suck it up and move on. Just curious who paid for the lost day of trip for all the passengers, The guy who wanted to go in or the Boat??

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    Sorry to hear about the trip, One of those trips you've got to suck it up and move on. Just curious who paid for the lost day of trip for all the passengers, The guy who wanted to go in or the Boat??
    No one so far. But during our emergency meeting, the Captain stated that we are leaving and would be compensated for the lost day. And he did ask if that was OK with everyone. Can you imagine anyone saying no?

I would not expect the passenger to pay. Empathy kicks in here and if I were in his shoes, I would hope everyone on board would cooperate, and they did. I can't think of anyone that would say "no, I want to fish one more day". Well.............maybe one, but he's dead.

We, the passengers, all got an email stating that because we all "volunteered" to come home a day early, we would not be reimbursed by the boat. But because we left port 5 hours late (actually 6 hours) , due to mechanical problems, we would be given $100.00 credit towards another trip. That's credit. No reimbursement. This is usually how they operate.

If anyone who rode on this trip disagrees with the above statements, please chime in. I'm not trying to bash. Simply stating facts as I see them.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    Sucks to hear about your trip especially when I am sure you probably planned it a year ago. Fish enough and you will eventually get cancellations and shortened trips for a variety of reasons. Par for the course and fish on.

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    'Nuff said Brother. If you "ride" the boat enough... you KNOW these trips happen. Great boat.... Good crew.... a "decent" chance.... good food.... and good friends.... and good intentions.... is all we can ask for. You got that... I believe. Sorry it didn't produce well... maybe next time.

Thanks for post.... and your view. I appreciate your brutal honesty. Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    'Nuff said Brother. If you "ride" the boat enough... you KNOW these trips happen. Great boat.... Good crew.... a "decent" chance.... good food.... and good friends.... and good intentions.... is all we can ask for. You got that... I believe. Sorry it didn't produce well... maybe next time.

Thanks for post.... and your view. I appreciate your brutal honesty. Be safe out there.
    Yes, it is my opinion of the trip. I compare it to long range trips dating back to 1988. Others, I am sure, will have a different opinion of the trip. Perhaps because they have nothing to compare it to?

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat Name
    The Searcher
    No one so far. But during our emergency meeting, the Captain stated that we are leaving and would be compensated for the lost day. And he did ask if that was OK with everyone. Can you imagine anyone saying no?

I would not expect the passenger to pay. Empathy kicks in here and if I were in his shoes, I would hope everyone on board would cooperate, and they did. I can't think of anyone that would say "no, I want to fish one more day". Well.............maybe one, but he's dead.

We, the passengers, all got an email stating that because we all "volunteered" to come home a day early, we would not be reimbursed by the boat. But because we left port 5 hours late (actually 6 hours) , due to mechanical problems, we would be given $100.00 credit towards another trip. That's credit. No reimbursement. This is usually how they operate.

If anyone who rode on this trip disagrees with the above statements, please chime in. I'm not trying to bash. Simply stating facts as I see them.

So on one hand they said you'd get reimbursed a day, and then later reneged? That ain't good.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Leaving out the Negative stuff?? Sounds like it was a all around negative trip negative trip, without going into play by play!!! Read between the lines!!!! He's being a gentlemen for not going any further details with all the negative stuff on the trip!!
    THAT WAS MY POINT....DUH.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler

It sucks you had a rough trip and hopefully the passenger’s wife makes a full recovery. We’ve all been on tough trips before.

Have to say while the group voted to come in a day early it was a piss poor decision by the boat to not credit or reimburse for the lost day. It’s a pretty short term way of doing business and trying to build a following. Yes it wasn’t the boats fault or a result of anything to do with the operation but I promise you they took full advantage to do needed boat work and get some extra rest something they wouldn’t have had or been able to do otherwise.

Missed opportunity for them to make a great statement to these customers and any potential future customers.

Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat Name
    The Searcher
    A warning that the major stock holder is not customer friendly. While the Capt is a outstanding gentleman he can not over rule his boss. I wouldn't ride that boat.
    Sure puts the captain in a tough spot.

Rabid Fish
    Rabid Fish
    Whatever happens with the boat going forward, this captain Aliyar has a GREAT reputation. I'm sure he can easily switch gears to another operation and fishermen will follow him. Seems like the golden goose of the operation from what I've read over the last year. I recall another post not too long ago where Aliyar wasn't driving and the trip was lousy.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    A warning that the major stock holder is not customer friendly. While the Capt is a outstanding gentleman he can not over rule his boss. I wouldn't ride that boat.
    I would completely disagree with this comment from personal experience

Reactions: SCHeadhunter