Polaris Supreme 8 day 8-1 to 8-9

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by SCHeadhunter, Aug 10, 2019.

1. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    We returned yesterday from our 21’st year on this trip. 18 passengers, 8 days, all great guys. It was awesome to say the least.
    Tommy drove and like always, the Riddler came thru.
    We started at Alijos- perfect conditions and 4 days of no fishing pressure. Expectations were high- but No- fishing sucked. Wahoo and those big yellows were not to be had.
    We overnighted hoping the classic Alijos night bite would materialize but nope.
    We fished thru the morning looking for skin and still nada. We left with 20 yellows, 3 grouper and a couple a wahoo. Good news was The fish we did catch were all tanks and we still had lots of time.
    We split for the ridge at lunch, wanting to be in the spot before daylight.
    At 3:45 the throttles pulled back and it was time to coffee up and get to fishing.
    We were at the 13.
    We immediately started hooking bomb yellows. Seriously the fish ranged from 22 to 40 lbs. Insane yellows! We made one 5 min move at 7 am and we stayed busy on yellows and a big WSB till after lunch.
    That afternoon the current slacked and we went from spot to spot for a handful of yellows and grouper.
    We fished into to dark but with no conditions, most guys hit the rack. I was dusted !
    Up again the next morning at 3:30. My first drop- boom- 35 lb yellow. Next drop, 35 lb wsb. I ended up with 5 yellows and 2 wsb before 6 am. Nothing under 30 lbs. What a morning.’
    We fished until 11 and got word from the Indy that Conditions 2 hours south on the 23 were wahoo’ish. So off we went. We were greeted by purple blue water and biting wahoo. Not wide open but we managed 22 more wahoo, all nice grade for our afternoon efforts. We also had a stop on the smallish yft and guys that wanted to fill a few Tuna tags did. Just a super fun afternoon with everyone getting a wahoo.
    We split that evening to start working our way back up the line.
    We were looking for kelps the entire next day and didn’t connect.
    The rolling poker game and constant great food/ snacks that Chef Roger and Gringo in The galley kept putting out kept us all entertained.
    Here are some additional details. Chef Roger and galley assistant gringo killed it. They fed us roast duck, Oso Buco, roasted pork loin, prime rib, filet mignon‘s, jambalaya, fish tacos and many more homerun meals.
    Captain Tommy Rothery and his crew we’re on it 100% of the time. No bullshit or pranks or that kind of stuff ever goes down on my trip. Super professional, ultra friendly. When I step onto his boat it’s like I’m going to a high-end fishing lodge. And what can I say about the guide, One of the best in the fleet and has been for decades. He does a fantastic job of keeping the group informed about our plans and what’s happening throughout the fleet. We were aware of what was happening at Guadalupe and on the ridge. He has an open bridge. Anyone is welcome to come up and chat with him. He will explain what and why he’s doing, the various electronics etc. Super open and friendly, no funky attitude ever.
    As far as Fishing, Alijos was a bust. We had very high hopes and they did not materialize. It cost us 2 days of fishing but we had to start outside. Conditions were prime. I would have done the same thing again. That’s fishing.
    We Were Dropper-loop fishing with 80 and 100 pound test. If you dropped down in line class, you would get rocked. There were a few casualties initially but once the boys got with the program and buttoned those drags down they started killing fish. The yo-yo worked well, nothing less than 50lb test and we had several incredible surface iron bites as well.
    The Nomad DTX definitely got bit the best trolling for wahoo.
    We are already set for next year and can’t say enough about the effort and hospitality put forth on Tommy Rothery’s Polaris Supreme!

5851C602-A6EA-471F-BA42-724261FFF65E.jpeg F2FE815D-DE62-4316-96B3-8876536A3446.jpeg CE14BA11-C2E3-4E17-B25F-B1FF4C2E6632.jpeg A830DAFD-D0C4-4381-9433-B7A2C652C47C.jpeg 24E9E812-F559-4F6A-9E31-EE2B700A8E35.jpeg FB22C980-DAD7-4FD3-A6A3-760FC603570E.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    bob1825, ZZZZZ, Cubanaso and 25 others like this.
  2. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for the report. Those big yellows and WSB on the Ridge would’ve made the entire trip worth it. Too bad the Rocks didn’t pan out, but if they had you might not have gotten the better fishing at the ridge.

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Supreme is a class act and really enjoyed the crew when I took a ride last year. The wheelhouse electronics makes a good skipper better. Nada on the zig but bueno on the zag. I will take those odds any day.

4. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    Tommy hit a homerun with Roger doing the cooking...that man can cook. We got to talking about Louisiana red beans and rice...he says he has a little something planned for me on my Sept 14th 8 day :D

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  5. SCHeadhunter

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    Roger put out some excellent meals. Plus he’s a really great guy and makes everyone feel welcome. Good vibes for sure.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Old Fat Guy

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    The Searcher
    Excellent report. Sounds like a great time and a first class adventure. :)

falconer likes this.
  7. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    Thanks for the report. I did an 8 day on the P.S. back in 2016, absolutely the best time of my life. Hoping to get a trip booked for next year.

8. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Congratulations on a great trip. We fished by you on the Indy down on the 13.....our Yellowtail story was way different....tons of small fish....we did eventually find enough good bites to put a decent count of yellows and tuna in the hold...no WSB for us...but the wahoo was on for us. Good stuff! Thanks for posting.

Soda Pop likes this.
  9. SCHeadhunter

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    Yeah we heard that. We had to weed through a few small ones but we found different fish that first morning and then we found it again that second morning. It was fat and wasn’t spawned out yet. It wasn’t as mixed as the other schools have been.
    We also made a tank of scad and that weeded out the little ones. Big bait, big fish.
    Tommy was real concerned about losing his spot on the 13 to you guys and the XL that came down behind us so we stayed on the spot that first afternoon even though the fishing had slowed a bit. Once you guys bailed down to the 23, we started looking around a bit. We ended up right back where we started and it bit again full speed in the dark early the next morning.
    The call from you guys about the wahoo was a major trip saver for us. These guys talk to one another and it’s a good vibe between the boats for sure. Glad you had a great trip. Can’t wait to go again

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Pangamaster likes this.
  10. 02bfishn

02bfishn Newbie

Name:
    Charlie
    Boat:
    AA
    Very nice report. First 8 day for my son and I on the PS coming in Oct - pumped! Booked later hoping the wahoo program is more reliable. Will be a great trip regardless.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    Fished with Tommy on the PS more than any other boat in the fleet, never regretted it, always fantastic, since 1995. We have an 8 day coming up in mid-November, really looking forward to it!

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  12. SCHeadhunter

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I have fished with Tommy exclusively since 1989. I have never regretted it either.

91C05CAD-55AE-4AED-B117-F6E8428B8C43.jpeg

ZZZZZ likes this.
  13. Bill DeSpain

Bill DeSpain Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Excalibur
    I am very excited about heading out on this 7 day in Oct myself. I have read nothing but good things about this boat and crew. My first 7 day on a sport boat (multiple days in the Navy lol). Cant get enough of the ocean and trying to hook up fish is just icing on the cake. Cheers!

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  14. Swellrider1

Swellrider1 Newbie

Name:
    Kenneth
    Boat:
    Polaris Supreme
    Damn Tom, great picture!! One of the best charters I’ve worked on, all you guys were top of the line plus your wife’s Lox was the best. Can’t wait to see you guys again.

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  15. a_p

a_p Newbie

Name:
    John Wayne
    Boat:
    Taob
    On the mid October 8 day myself. I can hardly wait.

16. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Assholes Unite!

The NCKA contingent is ready to do this!

r46chevy and a_p like this.
  17. SCHeadhunter

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    It was great having you on the trip man. Looking forward to fishing with you again. A+ crew. We were stoked!
    You totally made my wife’s day too.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  18. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    Hey sounds good I'm on that trip

freegaff2 likes this.
  19. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Thanks for taking the time to write up the trip for us.

Greatly appreciated!

Tight lines.