af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Guys!Think about it!Until this year the LR fleet virtually never fished in US waters on multi days!They dont need US multi trip papers below the borders.Would be VERY EZ to forget.No captain would shoot craps on something like a 25K fine on purpose.Close this damn thread!Tom

Bill W
Bill W
Why close thread? PS did a standup job making it right. Life happens. But without post how would things change.
Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Looks as though this was a costly oversight by PS and Frank to which they rectified swiftly. My only question is this, couldn’t the warden let the anglers who had no idea of the violation keep their fish? Yes, fine the boat for their mistake (they’ll never make that mistake again, the law worked).

Taking the fish from passengers who knew nothing of the permits not being secured seems you’re punishing the innocent. Yes, I realize that is the law. And what, give the BFT to people who may not know how to handle & prepare this prized fish?

I get it, it’s the law. But in history, there were smarter people who pushed the boundaries and came up with the correct solution.. a smarter one that benefited more people.

Upvote 0

stp

Fish Hooker
  • Oct 12, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Best first mate on your boat
    This is a new owner trying to build up his reputation and is doing a stellar job on the bluefin this year. Why don’t you give him a couple of days to decide how to make it right before you try to destroy his business?
    Nah, they had no balls to talk to anyone while their fish are being taken on the docks, they had their chance, I’m good with the decision to post.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    We were told by the wardens that it would be processed and given to food banks and shelters and it would not go to waste.
    All Bluefin Lives matter!
    Maybe some DFG had a deal with a Japanese Sushi place...?

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

stp

Fish Hooker
  • Oct 12, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Best first mate on your boat
    Sorry - rule specifically states that "All persons aboard a vessel may be cited where violations involving boat limits are found"

May not be fair, but the regulation seems quite specific.
    I think that was written with the idea of private boaters or small groups, but to impose the same rule on unknowing passengers of a commercial operation seems unfair and unjust. That implies that a patron must research and learn maritime law and all fishing regulations AND said patron would also need access to information about the boat like all of it’s permits and registration and licenses. Why stop there? Each paid passenger should then ask for, and inspect each boat employee’s certifications, licenses, and their vaccine card so the patron is fully aware of any possible violation and has the ability to decide if they want to continue their trip or…come on man. That’s like giving someone a ticket inside Disneyland for speeding on the Autopia ride….

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    There probably fully booked now. Now that folks heard about a $790 credit to make things cool 🤙🏾

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    So.. you go on a three day and crush the tuna, getting 3 day limits. You get back to the dock and the fish cops are dicks and take 2/3 of your cat food. You get most of your money back or a credit, don’t have a crazy processing bill, the taken fish gets donated to petco for homeless cats. Personally one 50lb BF is more than I’ll eat fresh and give away.

sign me up for this trip….
    Don't forget. Three days of above average grub too!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    nothing more than the communist California government putting the squeeze on the sport fishing fleet. All out assault on your freedoms!
    There trying to make up for the lost revenue, from annual licenses , from people fishing out of state, or south of the boarder.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    How is it that no matter what happens in the sport fleet a certain individual is always a hero, never villain or somewhere in between to many of you?

bobsled

Consumer
  • May 31, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    N/A
    That and they are trying too shut the entire industry down.
    This industry, like many others, creates a lot of jobs. From the Admins in the office all the way to truck drivers hauling the fuel to the docks. It would be a shame to kill all those jobs. But seems that's what the Democrats do best.

Upvote 0

SoCal2Az

Slayer of Dragons
    Aug 17, 2020
    Peoria, AZ
    Name
    Philip Miller
    Boat
    I do not own a boat.
    I hope this post scares some people away from booking on the Polaris Supreme so I can get on another trip with Aliyar and the crew!! I've been out with them 3 times this year and never disappointed!!! One of the best boat/captain/crew out there!!!

Bill W
    Bill W
    Actually I imagine a PS stampede in booking.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Id bet someone in the office is responsible for getting the multiday permits.
    DFW had to keep the fish for evidence if they ticketed aliyar,it could have been alot worse.The owners did a great job making everyone whole again and they will still end up paying the fine too,shit happens.

Upvote 0

afishenado

Almost A Member
    Oct 28, 2008
    woodland ca
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    north river
    (1) Was it the boats fault for not getting permits , yes that’s obvious
    (2) Did dfw have the right to fine the boat, yes
    (3) was it the fishermans fault , Obviously not
    (3) Did dfw have the right to confiscate the fish from the fisherman ( it was their call )
    (4) Did DFW make the right decision on confiscating some of the fisherman’s fish ( Absolutely not )
    DFW made a bad Decision on taking some of the fisherman’s catch knowing very well that they had nothing to do with the perms not getting sent to them, that’s not there responsibility, Its not like this kind of thing Happens often. this is the first i have heard of this type of citation on the San Diego fleet and I have been doing this for a long time. I guess they forgot that it’s people like us fishermen and hunters that help pay for their salary and also the Reason they have a job. Good on Frank to give the fisherman a Choice of money refund or another trip.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I don't understand how the multi day declaration accomplishes anything especially for the sportfleet. The boats have a posted schedule and you can track their exact position on MarineTraffic.com so everyone knows exactly how many days they fished and where they were fishing. What difference does the declaration make except that the state of Calif collects a measly $6.95. If you can prove with absolute certainty that you fished for 3 days then what difference does the declaration make. Also it sounds like this is a rule that the CDFW never enforced in the past then suddenly they decide to enforce it and one unlucky group of innocent fishermen gets nailed for something they had no control over. The boat was not over limits, they didn't have undersize fish, they were not fishing in a closed area etc. They simply failed to file a form with CDFW which the department never seemed too concerned with in the past.
    What prevents a private boat parked in a slip in San Diego from getting a declaration for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then only going out on Wednesday and catching a 3 day limit of BFT. CDFW has no way to track which days the boat went out or where they fished.
    Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't understand why a sportboat would need the declaration when CDFW knows exactly how many days they fished in Calif waters. I used to have a lot of respect for CDFW bit I think this leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth. What they did in seizing the fish from innocent passengers may have been correct according to their rules but it wasn't right.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bill W and jer dog
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I don't understand how the multi day declaration accomplishes anything especially for the sportfleet. The boats have a posted schedule and you can track their exact position on MarineTraffic.com so everyone knows exactly how many days they fished and where they were fishing. What difference does the declaration make except that the state of Calif collects a measly $6.95. If you can prove with absolute certainty that you fished for 3 days then what difference does the declaration make. Also it sounds like this is a rule that the CDFW never enforced in the past then suddenly they decide to enforce it and one unlucky group of innocent fishermen gets nailed for something they had no control over. The boat was not over limits, they didn't have undersize fish, they were not fishing in a closed area etc. They simply failed to file a form with CDFW which the department never seemed too concerned with in the past.
    What prevents a private boat parked in a slip in San Diego from getting a declaration for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then only going out on Wednesday and catching a 3 day limit of BFT. CDFW has no way to track which days the boat went out or where they fished.
    Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't understand why a sportboat would need the declaration when CDFW knows exactly how many days they fished in Calif waters. I used to have a lot of respect for CDFW bit I think this leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth. What they did in seizing the fish from innocent passengers may have been correct according to their rules but it wasn't right.
    Then work on changing the law.
    I have been ticketed and even arrested multiple times where I thought the call could have easily been to let me slide.... lame law, no other traffic wasnt dangerous blah blah blah ...

At the same time I understand the cops job, to which they swore an oath, is to enforce the law.

They don't make them.
    You wanna argue(and I have) the interpretation or method of enforcement, that is what courts are for.

Yes, I appreciate an officer who uses an opportunity to educate rather than cite when appropriate.

This is a case of the boat didnt have their shit together. Period.

If I was on that trip I would be stoked with that deal!

I dont feel like this makes the boat or its staff "bad". They roll stopped a stop sign and got caught. Life goes on.

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    Do kayaks count?
    Have any of you Jackasses stopped to think that maybe the wardens HAD to confiscate the fish? I’ve seen plenty of episodes of “Wardens” and “North Woods Law” where the wardens felt absolutely terrible that they HAD TO confiscate some kids first deer because of some lame paperwork issue, etc. Most of the time it’s not up to the field officer to make that call.

It’s hilarious that some of you honestly believe that a bunch of wardens got together and decided to bust a sport fishing boat with the sole intention of confiscating their catch.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    IMO the $6.95 is a filing fee. The form allows the boat to carry more than one day limit caught in US waters. AIS can track the boat if DFG wishes to view whereabouts. The form is to be posted for the passengers to view. I believe this is to make the passengers liable to see the form. Not really… The passengers are given the rules that apply to them. The boat has other rules that the DFG requires and not filing the form is a rule broken. The passengers own the fish and as far as the passengers all rules were applied.

So… where did the fish go.

W
    woodfish330
    BILL W.... those confiscated BFT have been in YOUR shed for a week. You've made your point numerous times. You know I care for All my BD Brothers... but stop beating a dead horse...THANK YOU.
    Upvote 0