caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Since this post reappeared after disappearing. This is how the PS resolved the issue.

"The Polaris Supreme wants to send our most sincere apology for the unfortunate seizing of fish. We understand your frustration you experienced yesterday morning. Since you were only able to keep a 1.5 day worth of fish, Frank Lo Preste feels it's not fair for you to pay more than 1.5 day fare. Most 1.5 day trips are $550, he wants this trip to be $500. You have the option of receiving a $790 refund in the form of a check, or we can float that $790 credit to a trip in the future. At your earliest convenience please let me know what you'd prefer. Unfortunately, we can not get your additional fish as it now belongs to Dept of Fish and Game. Frank will be available after Sept. 4th, as he is driving the Royal Polaris, if you would like to speak to him. "

The four of us that were in our group are all satisfied with the resolution, and will book again.
I knew Frank would take care of this. All that fun and got to keep a days limit. And get to go again. Not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Fish and Wildlife can see the permits filed and the long range schedule. They made the choice to go after the fine $$$ rather than inform the boat of their mistake.

This aint The Andy Griffith Show - it is the hunt for $$$. We are seeing more taxes, more fees and more fines as the govt goes into debt.
    What do you mean, "goes into debt" wake up! they are already there. and the idiots in Ca. hkeep voting for these morons " oh highspeed rail is a good idea" and you don't have a drop of water. BRIILANT!

Steve K
    Steve K
    Kind of a Dick move calling California voters idiots.
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Best fishermen in the world
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Great resolution imo

Bummer about the fish and inconvenience but it has been made right and mistakes do happen at the wrong time. Probably could had waited and received the same resolution without posting so soon.

Personally, I would rather have 2 fish and the $790 credit to go fish again 👍🏾 🤙🏾 💪🏾 Then a 3 day limit. I realize everyone's situation is different but the original poster and his fellow anglers are satisfied and I would be too :D

Upvote 0

Prince

Almost A Member
    Sep 25, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Prince
    Boat
    None
    My question is, is there anything the guys on the boat could have done to avoid this from ever happening? I mean I will feel out of place to ask the sport boat if they have all the necessary documents and permits. I just trust them to do the right thing and don't have the need to ask

Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone
    My question is, is there anything the guys on the boat could have done to avoid this from ever happening? I mean I will feel out of place to ask the sport boat if they have all the necessary documents and permits. I just trust them to do the right thing and don't have the need to ask

Once you hand them the $$$ you should not be obligated to ask, it is now their job, you paid them for that service. But you do have the right to ask since you paid for it if something feels amiss and they should not hold that against you, the response will take very little effort, yes or no.

Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    Time to let this go, someone fucked up, and cdfw reached way to far on this one, PS has been scarred along with all the passengers, PS stood up to the plate and hit a home run, as for the rest, it’s bullshit and now past.. Let it go

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Great resolution imo

Bummer about the fish and inconvenience but it has been made right and mistakes do happen at the wrong time. Probably could had waited and received the same resolution without posting so soon.

Personally, I would rather have 2 fish and the $790 credit to go fish again 👍🏾 🤙🏾 💪🏾 Then a 3 day limit. I realize everyone's situation is different but the original poster and his fellow anglers are satisfied and I would be too :D
    Over $18.000.00 to make it right,
    This right here shows that they care
    About there reputation.

Upvote 0

XPL051v3

Almost A Member
  • Nov 26, 2017
    Deep Blue
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    XPL051v3
    Boat
    Backseat Boater
    Bottom line is the boat/landing made a mistake, we're all allowed to make those. Now it comes down to how they handle it, vouchers, $$, etc for other trips?

Read up, it was stated they offered a $790 check for passengers who wanted one or credit towards another trip. That seems really fair. PS is a top notch boat in the fleet and there fish numbers show it trip after trip. We all make mistakes in life. It’s how you handle them and correct them so it doesn’t happen again. I’m sure this will never happen on that boat again!

P.s. for those of you who got the check that’s not a bad deal at all. $790 in the wallet and still taking home 2 bluefin! Only if I had that option every trip I’d do it! Let’s be real, no one can possibly eat 6 tuna. Two fish is a lot of meat and still plenty to give to friends and family (which is what I personally do every time I catch BFT).

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    It still leaves a sour taste in my mouth reading the run down.

The boat F'd up 100%.

So what if the customers still got to keep one days limits and only paid for a 1.5 day....it's not their fault and what if that was their only freezer filler trip of the year?

Did the boat get fined and if so how much?

Caring about your reputation and owning your mistakes are two very different things.

Upvote 0

popx5

Jun 27, 2008
    7000'
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Montauk
    So.. you go on a three day and crush the tuna, getting 3 day limits. You get back to the dock and the fish cops are dicks and take 2/3 of your cat food. You get most of your money back or a credit, don’t have a crazy processing bill, the taken fish gets donated to petco for homeless cats. Personally one 50lb BF is more than I’ll eat fresh and give away.

sign me up for this trip….

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
    Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    This is the first I heard about the thread. Please take in to consideration that some posts get hung up in moderation and I have to OK them by hand. This new software sucks like that…

Ali and I are disconnected. We have a whole new crew and CEO. Ali is filming and running boats, I’m dealing with bad health issues and still need a kidney. So I’m barely on here much.
    It’s all ran by our new crew.

If something is removed there was either arguing, in the wrong section, an ad put in regular forums or we get a call saying we are going to get sued and need to take something down. The fleet is very sue happy and they go after us and the posters even the commenters. We find it’s easier to remove the thread when warned than push buttons and cost all of us money. Sometimes they still go after the poster and I have to provide the removed thread for evidence. Careful what you post…

ZZZZZ

Best fishermen in the world
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Refuses kombucha and coco water

Unfortunately sport fisherman can be sport fishermans. Worst nightmare

Upvote 0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Irvine
    Name
    Brian Burchfield
    Boat
    22’ Trophy CC
    This is the first I heard about the thread. Please take in to consideration that some posts get hung up in moderation and I have to OK them by hand. This new software sucks like that…

Ali and I are disconnected. We have a whole new crew and CEO. Ali is filming and running boats, I’m dealing with bad health issues and still need a kidney. So I’m barely on here much.

If something is removed there was either arguing, in the wrong section, an ad put in regular forums or we get a call saying we are going to get sued and need to take something down. The fleet is very sue happy and they go after us and the posters even the commenters. We find it’s easier to remove the thread when warned than push buttons and cost all of us money. Sometimes they still go after the poster and I have to provide the removed thread for evidence. Careful what you post…
    Fascinating insight, especially regarding the sporties being so litigation happy. I'll remember that.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor

So...............Is that why all the negative reports about sport boats get deleted? I can think of two recent negative reports that I cant find anymore.

Blackfish
    Blackfish
    They haven't been deleted, just moved to a moderators forum for archival. and sometimes the OP asks to have them removed because they go so far south.
    This post was never removed, but waiting for approval from a moderator. It's the new format. If you are a new poster, it has to be approved. This is to cut down on scammers, spammers, trolls, and those who abuse the classifieds.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Cracks me up, no matter what, people love to BMW. Landing and boat made it right, never tried to hide the details....DFGW did their job, and gave some breaks. Still more BMWing. Boat got nailed pretty hard. Still BMW'ing.....but Carry on.

Reactions: hronk

Invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    I can't believe that CDFW went through all that drama and confiscated hundreds of pounds of fish from innocent passengers just because the boat made a paperwork error and didn't pay $6.95 in fees. Seems like overkill. You would have thought that they could just send one guy down and tell the Captain to make sure he files the proper paperwork in the future. I guess they wanted to make an example out of someone so that everyone else follows the rules in the future. I feel bad for the passengers. That could have been me or anyone else who rides the sportboats.
    I can’t believe a CG licensed Captain rolled the dice on a $7 permit and cratered a trip. They know they need it, and with AIS, schedules, easy for DFG to catch on. Be interested to see how many they filed prior. I file one everytime for island trips, especially bug runs, takes 5 minutes by email.

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    $6.95 for the boat? If a boat cant buy a season in advance based on schedule then this will happen again or may be ongoing. To punish the passengers by STEALING their catch is the real crime, shame on you DFG just another agency that is useless and demands our hard earned money year after year . What did you do with 3,600 pounds of sushi grade tuna anyway , waste it shame, shame, shame on the DFG

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I assume now that the dust has settled all is OK with the passengers. But the DFG has a job to do. It was their call. Still curious what they did with the fish since there is no court to contest and no names taken that the fish were taken from. Again… happy ending for the passengers and DFG has a job to do. Still what did they do with the fish?

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    I assume now that the dust has settled all is OK with the passengers. But the DFG has a job to do. It was their call. Still curious what they did with the fish since there is no court to contest and no names taken that the fish were taken from. Again… happy ending for the passengers and DFG has a job to do. Still what did they do with the fish?
    Yes they have a job to do, and the job was to address the boats permits not the passengers fish as they did no wrong. PS extended the olive branch very nice, but as a passenger that was fortunate to get 3 day limits of good grade BFT . To go on another trip that may just paddy hop for 8-15 LB Yellow tail and Dorado is not the same. All memories of an epic BFT trip was erased by the DFG

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0