Polaris Supreme 3 Day

DW66

Jul 22, 2021
California
Name
Doug Woodard
Boat
Nope
So we returned this morning from a 3 day on the Polaris Supreme. Spent the whole trip fishing Bluefin on the Cortes. Came within 4 fish of completely limiting the boat with the majority of the fish being over 50 and a few over 100#.

When we docked this morning, DFW was there to greet us. As it turned out, someone screwed something up and the boat did not have multi day permits. They confiscated all but two fish per angler.

12 hours later and still now email, no communication no anything from the boat about this total fuck up. In fact, the boat didn't even talk to us on the dock, they left it to the Wardens to tell us what was going on.

if we wanted a one day limit, we could have taken a one day boat.

**Update** I have heard from the boat, and they are discussing what to do and will get back to us in a day or so. At the same time I told the office that I would like to rebook again for the same trip for next year. Aliyar put us on the fish, the crew was great and yeah, mistakes happen, its what you do after the mistake that counts,

Last edited:

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Looks like a stupid oversight......!!What a cost!!

Cal gov > DFW
    2021 Declaration for Multi-day Fishing Trip Permit ((Cost $6.95 ))
    INSTRUCTIONS: This form must be completed by the vessel’s owner or operator and submitted with payment of $6.95 to the nearest California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) regional office listed on page 2. If mailed, the form must be received at least 48 hours prior to the date of the vessel’s departure. The approved permit or a copy must be aboard the vessel posted in full view of the passengers during the trip in order for any person aboard the vessel to possess more than one bag limit of saltwater species identified below.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    This is a new owner trying to build up his reputation and is doing a stellar job on the bluefin this year. Why don’t you give him a couple of days to decide how to make it right before you try to destroy his business?

C
    cozenone
    I'm thinking because the Capt, should have a sack and confront this mistake strait up and to all the patron's, not let the cdfw explain the fuck up...not sure why you need time to think that out....a fuckup is a fuckup
    D
    DW66
    Not trying to ruin his business, in fact I told the boat this morning (the day after) that I wanted to rebook for the same trip next year.

However, as noted by someone below, rumors were going to fly and I was just stating what happened, as someone who was there and was part of it.
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Its a "Frank" thing...... for sure. Image... $$Fine... DFW.... who's the "Puppet Master"?? That's the END of the ladder. Black eyes the Boat / Skipper doesn't need. But.... "Chitt Happens" .... right?

Gonna sit back and watch. I believe they'll do the "right" thing. Hopefully with little "collateral damage". Too much at stake. Cross my fingers. Good luck Brother.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    Its a "Frank" thing...... for sure. Image... $$Fine... DFW.... who's the "Puppet Master"?? That's the END of the ladder. Black eyes the Boat / Skipper doesn't need. But.... "Chitt Happens" .... right?

Gonna sit back and watch. I believe they'll do the "right" thing. Hopefully with little "collateral damage". Too much at stake. Cross my fingers. Good luck Brother.
    can make it right financially but fish are gone....

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I was there this morning on the bow of the San Diego (right behind PS) watching the whole thing. Rumors were floating. When we got in tonight there was a ton of gossip about this. I'm not going to believe a word until the actual facts come out. If a ball got dropped give them a chance to make it right.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    So we returned this morning from a 3 day on the Polaris Supreme. Spent the whole trip fishing Bluefin on the Cortes. Came within 4 fish of completely limiting the boat with the majority of the fish being over 50 and a few over 100#.

When we docked this morning, DFW was there to greet us. As it turned out, someone screwed something up and the boat did not have multi day permits. They confiscated all but two fish per angler.

12 hours later and still now email, no communication no anything from the boat about this total fuck up. In fact, the boat didn't even talk to us on the dock, they left it to the Wardens to tell us what was going on.

if we wanted a one day limit, we could have taken a one day boat.
    I bet they grabbed the fish over 100# first!

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    So every boat has to fill out a form and mail it in for every multi day trip they take and have a copy on the boat? I get it for PBers but I'd think it would be different for boats that do trips all year, like an annual license or something. Seems like the DFW would be over run with reams of paper work. Something doesn't sound right, huge fuck up somewhere in this mess

Reactions: Steve K
    Pangamaster
    Pangamaster
    Yup, It's a US requirement ....it's been around forever. I haven't worked on boats since 1998 and we used to fill it out for every Multiday trip....every time.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I can't believe that CDFW went through all that drama and confiscated hundreds of pounds of fish from innocent passengers just because the boat made a paperwork error and didn't pay $6.95 in fees. Seems like overkill. You would have thought that they could just send one guy down and tell the Captain to make sure he files the proper paperwork in the future. I guess they wanted to make an example out of someone so that everyone else follows the rules in the future. I feel bad for the passengers. That could have been me or anyone else who rides the sportboats.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Multiday permits are easy to obtain. Biggest issue is the the DFG closed the office for "covid" and now there's a back and forth over fax and email. When the office was open you could get it done in person easy.

Upvote 0