Polaris Supreme 3 day ??

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by joshua cunningham, Dec 5, 2016.

1. joshua cunningham

joshua cunningham Fresh One!!

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme
    I am taking my daughter on an open 3 day next summer, I have her rigged with 20, 30, and 40lb spinning gear. (diawa bg 8000 reels) Hoping for her sake that we go paddy hopping or coastal baja for yellowtail. Is there a need for anything heavier? 50lb spinning setup? I figure if we need to fish heavier than 40 on a 3 day she will be using my heavy gear and I will just guide her around the rail (i.e. Bluefin)

2. reel man

reel man Common sense

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    That's a wise idea.

3. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    How big, strong and experienced is your daughter? My gut would be to take a 50# two speed for both yoyo and larger yellows. Spinners are good for casting and baits can easily take line off the spool, but (IMO) they are harder for cranking because the handle is distant from the body and the body is distant from the rod...and they are single speed...and you can't use the rail. The larger the fish, the more I like conventionals.

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    In my experience taking newbies and ladies on trips, 90% of the time the castability of the spinner is less needed than you think. If your daughter is an observant listener she will probably be able to use the conventional tackle pretty successfully and also greatly benefit from putting the rod on the rail. The putting the rod on the rail is usually pretty key as women generally have much less upper body strength than men and since they are also generally shorter they may have a tougher time keeping the line from a spinner off of a high rail.

My experience is if you cast for them and show them how to thumb the spool and manage against tangles that they do a better than average job. Ladies generally are much faster learners than men, they listen and tend to follow exactly what you show them, unlike men who tend to improvise and do things their way even if you just told them not to do some thing. Also realize the crew will be there to assist (sometimes a little too much to the point that she might start to outfish you!).

That being said, if it's not too late, I would go with conventional tackle for everything 30 and above. Also at minimum a 50# 2 speed is pretty much necessary at this point. If you could have at least one setup heavier it might come into play considering the volume of large bluefin around. That 43/ desperation and now tanner fish will pretty much beat down anyone fishing anything lighter than 40 with a proper drag.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    joshua cunningham likes this.
  5. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    How old is your daughter? How tall is she? What are the dates of your 3 day? ( spring, summer, fall). I know it sounds like I'm trying to get a date or something wierd but the answer to these questions will help determine what you will need. Big difference between a 10yr old and a high school athlete.

6. joshua cunningham

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme
    She is 5ft 10, been fishing her whole life, bt never fished conventional gear. We fish off the oregon coast for lings and she handles those just fine on spin gear

7. joshua cunningham

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme
    oh and she is thirteen and it is the 4th of July trip

8. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Pm sent

9. kuyamonster

kuyamonster I only wishes to catch some fishes...

Name:
    Marcel
    Boat:
    Limited load cattle car
    That time of year and with the added info from above, you will be normally targeting yellowtail on paddies and possibly some bottom fish on the return side of the trip. Her spinning outfits will be fine and can be used for jigs as well, but I agree with Robert and Brad. The torque and fighting angle is different on a spinner. You have some time to teach her on a conventional reel. Most of the landings now use rental gear that are great 25-30 lb. sticks matched to Avet lever drags. (star drags are available as well if you prefer) I've taken out newbies and under privileged anglers on my annual charity charters. They don't get out much on boats and they picked up basic casting/fighting techniques using advice from myself and from the deckhands. Seems like it's easier for them to use while fighting the fish as well. The majority of the fishing is with live bait anyways, so half the battle is picking a hot bait that swims away from the boat as opposed to a longer cast. I've caught nice size ling-a-saurs up here and back home in SD so no doubt she'll be fine there, but just wait till she gets bit on a slug yellow that is 20-25 lbs. plus! Good luck and hope you two get bent big time. Be forewarned, a taste of the offshore will guarantee a lifetime of pelagic hunting for her. Keep stacking those angling memories, Dad! :goldfish:

:jig:

10. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    When winter is over, take her to a local park with a pond. Remove the hook(s) from a heavier jig and start practicing with that. Then move to lighter jigs. She'll; get it real quick like.

joshua cunningham and Johnny J like this.
  11. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Using spinning gear exclusively will sever any chance of building a relationship with what could/should be her best friend... The rail.

12. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Take a look this past 6 months on 1 day trips, With those big bluefin. The mininum line they were telling people to bring was 60lb test. Those fish were eating 80-100lb test. You never know, take it and if you don't use it no prob. But I would surely hate to be out and not have it, when you need it. Just my 2 cents.

13. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Your game plan sounds good. But, as you already know, every trip is different. If you need heavier conventional outfits, you can borrow them from the boat for free. You just have to pay for the line.

Your daughter is comfortable with spinners, so use the spinners. They cast better than the conventionals, and a good cast is, many times, key to catching. And, of course, you or the deck hands will show her how to pick out a hot bait from the receiver. The Polaris Supreme uses receivers. You pick out a bait from the receiver, place it in the hand well, then take it and pin it on your hook. Works well. No need to have someone cast for her. She been fishing all her life so let her do it all. But if she needs help, the deckhands love to help girls.

The BG 8000 is a large reel. You might want to consider using a BG5000 or a BG 6500. I don't think you need that much line capacity, and the smaller reel is more comfortable to use at the rail. You might also consider using braided line with a short top shot of mono or fluorocarbon.

I have been taking spinning outfits in the line class you mentioned above, filled with spectra with a short top shot, and find that catching is as easy if not easier than a conventional, but landing the fish is a different story.

Have fun. It's a nice comfortable boat and you will enjoy the trip.

14. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    If the Daiwa BG reels are already in your possession, go with your original plan. If not you have the other options as others have suggested. Hopefully, you don't have 8000's for the 20 and 30lb rigs, but rather BG5000, BG6500, and BG8000 for your planned 20, 30, and 40lb respectively.

IF the reels are also spooled with 40, 50, and 65lb braid, respectively, as the main line, you could use up to 30, 40, 50lb top shots, respectively, as long as those weights are still within the matching rods' ratings. So, your 50lb is covered. Would get a calibrated spring scale to set the drags from top of spool so that you know EXACTLY what you have, and apply the 1/4 to 1/3 rule. Will only be using 1/2 of the BG8000's 33lb max drag for the 50lb.

As long as your daughter is NOT using her spinners as WINCHES, and is well versed in the "lift up slow" (long or short lifts)..."retrieve down fast," she should do fine. She should also NOT crank the spinner when the fish is making a run to avoid introducing line twist and just let the drag do its job. Not familiar if those Pacific NW lings make long runs, but the YT and BFT you want to target on the 3-day are known to run--something she may be unaccustomed to.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  15. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Put my money where my mouth is...just ordered a BG6500 and will be spooling it up with 50lb braid for up to 40lb top shots.

joshua cunningham and Cubeye like this.