MattFred1414

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Left the boat ramp at 545ish and waited for 1 whole entire hour to get some sardines. Had the girlfriend with me and we were going to head out to the nine but she decided she couldn’t handle the ride out there. So back to the kelp beds. A few drifts produced a sculpin, decent calico and a baby rockfish. We saw some birds in front of mission bay and it turned out to be schools of barracuda! So I finally got my first three cuda and the girlfriend got one a after a few attempts with sardines. Back to the kelp once the birds left.

Not much in the kelp so we headed to Zuniga. I ran over a rope on the way there and had to deal with that for twenty minutes. I think it was a lobster pot without a buoy. I got it untangled from my prop and pulled up as much of the line that I could and cut it off.

At Zuniga we threw sardines at the rocks and cut Mack’s behind the boat on the bottom for sharks. Ended up catching my biggest calico ever a horned shark and a brave spottie that ate a mackerel fillet. If you zoom in on the pic you can see how big the hook I was using was. Kinda surprising that the spottie ate it. Overall a better day fishing than sitting inside avoiding corona even if the girlfriend was a little grumpy.

B52E0E2B-F0CD-4512-A382-0ADEF10D56F8.jpeg

58460E98-944F-4BAF-B877-3DD3A9A66F75.jpeg

C451AA4F-D0D2-4D1A-93F3-56F8F9B9D9E0.jpeg

40D878A9-645F-45AE-8E69-9376B5E168B8.jpeg

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
We passed you on the way in. Found the cuda about 2 miles off the Point under 3 birds. Didn’t take long for the sea lions to get on us though. Went to move on and found a small spot of yellows about 500 yards away. Got the boat positioned just right and my daughter asked to go back in. Never fired a cast and went back inside after watching them sink out. Nice day.

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
We passed you on the way in. Found the cuda about 2 miles off the Point under 3 birds. Didn’t take long for the sea lions to get on us though. Went to move on and found a small spot of yellows about 500 yards away. Got the boat positioned just right and my daughter asked to go back in. Never fired a cast and went back inside after watching them sink out. Nice day.
Kinda curious how you could differentiate the yellows from the cuda? Or were you able to see them? We saw some blowups but they all looked like cuda.

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
Kinda curious how you could differentiate the yellows from the cuda? Or were you able to see them? We saw some blowups but they all looked like cuda.
Able to see them. They were slugs, easy to pick them out.