stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Ran to the 371. We didn't see any signs of tuna. We found lots of big paddies with no bait or fish on them. We did have one boil on a slow trolled sardine. When we came home we found the water temp had dropped 1-2 degrees from the morning to the afternoon.

The bonita at Point Loma were full speed under the birds. We caught about 15 - kept 2 for poke and jerky. The schools were moving fast and several boats were run and gun fishing. I'll try to post a video.

Last edited:

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks for posting. Yup thats how it was last week at Point Loma. Then the porpoises came in and took over. There so much bait at the point right now and hope it brings back the YT close and the occasional BFT. My Bone spit up 4 sardines when I put him on deck.

Reactions: stuman
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice bone, always enjoy catching them. Great lobster bait, if you can wait that long! :D

Upvote 0

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Thanks for posting. Yup thats how it was last week at Point Loma. Then the porpoises came in and took over. There so much bait at the point right now and hope it brings back the YT close and the occasional BFT. My Bone spit up 4 sardines when I put him on deck.
    The last flock of birds were on the dolphin - we were tired and came home. However, it looked like another spot of bonita popped up as we left.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Nice bone, always enjoy catching them. Great lobster bait, if you can wait that long! :D
    Bonita poke is delicious. We bled ours in the bait tank and then iced them for the ride home.

I experimented and made jerky in a dehydrator. It came out well, I'll have to try it again.
    5CB5108E-828A-4604-8D85-56A6211F38B9.jpeg

FDE9DFA8-5BD1-4A75-BCA4-687956E13970.jpeg

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Bonita poke is delicious. We bled ours in the bait tank and then iced them for the ride home.

Yes. Bled, iced and eaten right away is the key. I once had great poke on a sport boat, that I thought was bluefin. Turned out it was fresh caught skipjack. Who woulda thunk it?
    :D

Reactions: djd35de and stuman
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Very cool. And nice size Bones.

Reactions: stuman
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Thanks for the report and the videos! Looks like a fun day out there. Like others mentioned those things are tasty if you bleed em and ice'm right away!

Reactions: djd35de and stuman
    Upvote 0

craig ito

Almost A Member
    Dec 13, 2017
    norwalk
    Name
    craig
    Boat
    seaswirl
    Poki was originally made with skippies, more oil darker meat...the ones with the 3 black dots by fins is what I remember...

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Ran to the 371. We didn't see any signs of tuna. We found lots of big paddies with no bait or fish on them. We did have one boil on a slow trolled sardine. When we came home we found the water temp had dropped 1-2 degrees from the morning to the afternoon.

The bonita at Point Loma were full speed under the birds. We caught about 15 - kept 2 for poke and jerky. The schools were moving fast and several boats were run and gun fishing. I'll try to post a video.

Nice bones there.
    Gonna give @Oldtimer2 wood if he sees this.

Upvote 0