Point Loma Black Sea Bass???

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Secutor54, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Secutor54

Secutor54 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    AP
    Boat:
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    hey fellas, I snuck out for a quick afternoon trip on the skiff. Launched out of Shelter Island (awesome ramp, by the way) hit the barge for some awesome bait and headed out to the flats to target halibut.

Started out a bit south of the point for nada. Switched a bit further north, between OB and the point and began a drift.

Drift was due south and water temps were hovering around 59-61 and it was pretty flat.

Anyway, I was fishing a live dean on an SX, 50# braid to 30# mono on a three way with 3oz and 30# fluro. 5 minutes into the drift, while I was tying on another hook, clicker starts screaming and I am BeNdO! Set the hook and its off to camp "whoop my ass and may have another, please?"

15 minutes later and whatever was on, is still taking line, slowly. Long story short 30 minutes in, POP! pulled the hook.

Set up another drift. Same business... 10 minutes in and again, I'm on. I'm thinking a big flat ass. Fought it again, except this time it was on my MX 80# braid, with 40# mono topshot. hook n bait were on a three way with 30# fluro on a live dean again. Literally fought it for 45 minutes and could feel it tiring out. But, I swear... for every 5 yards of line I got back, he took 10 in return after resting. While I'm fighting this one, my other rod goes. Put the first on the rod holder and set the hook on the second rod. Felt some weight, but not nearly as much as the initial... pump and wind, pump and wind. Got him to the boat and it was a shark. Cut the line and went back to work on Mr. Grumpy for another go...

I started using the front rail on my 17' Whaler and could not get him to the top. Depth was about 75' and the fish was pissed!

Fought it until the sun went down and I must have had another 30' to go before he plopped on the surface and it pulled the hook.

There is no other species I can think of, besides black sea bass, big one at that... that could have whipped my ass like this fish did. Question is, are there black sea bass in the Point Loma area? I thought those fish were typically caught in La Jolla and are pretty territorial fish. In other words, they hang out around the same structure and general area. Also, I don't think I've ever seen or heard anyone catch black sea bass in the Point Loma area? I would think if it was a white sea bass, I would have made a lot more progress with the rig I was using. Drag was pretty tight and buttoned down and this fish was making small runs, but literally felt like wet carpet each time I was able to pump and wind...

Have a video that ill try to post a bit later.

Anyway, there were football fields of sardines puddling around just outside the point. I mean everywhere... Hoping for the weather to lay down like yesterday after this storm passes. Beautiful weather out there yesterday. Check the link below for a short video of the initial run... dump truck!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/78sNZGzkLdEMKyX97

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    colemans224 likes this.
  2. duckbutter6a

duckbutter6a Florida man living in SoCal

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    Point lloma has black sea bass. I caught and released several smaller ones there last year. I've also been spanked by a few monster ones there as well.

3. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    I’ve caught plenty of BSB around OB and PL. They are all over the place. Definitely making a comeback

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Black or possibly a thresher, but probably a black.

Hangfire likes this.
  5. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    If it felt like you hooked a slow moving truck it was a big ol’ BSB.

6. Steveo77

Steveo77 Steveo77

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Grumpy
    Sound like a black. Anyways, good action today for you. Good job

Secutor54 likes this.
  7. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    My guess is BSB

Secutor54 likes this.
  8. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Name:
    GW
    Boat:
    Glastron Seafury
    Agreed, I have hooked into both fishing deep drifts like that.

Secutor54 likes this.
  9. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    I snapped a rod fishing for bass there and it was a BSB that I still landed and released.

Secutor54 likes this.
  10. Ryanbrandeburg

Ryanbrandeburg My wife's fishing guide

Name:
    Ryan Brandeburg
    Boat:
    Ranger 2510
    Could also be a monster bat ray?

Johnny B and Secutor54 like this.
  11. Secutor54

Name:
    AP
    Boat:
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    Not sure, If I was a betting man, I’d say it was a big black bass. Steady drag and super heavy... check the link on the initial post to see the initial run, after I set the hook.

12. Secutor54

Name:
    AP
    Boat:
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    That’s exactly what it felt like...

13. MarktheShark56

MarktheShark56 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Skipjack 22
    I scuba those beds regularly and see them pretty much every dive. They're thick in there and range 30-400+ lbs. (My avatar was shot there) They get your attention when they sneak up alongside you!

14. sdfishkiller

sdfishkiller Cod Smuggler

Name:
    Todd Mora
    Boat:
    19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
    If I hook a big BSB in PL and it tows me to the Coronados, can I stick all my gaffs in it?

15. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    big bat ray or big bsb. when I was a kid I hooked and fought a big bsb off the east end of harbor island, it broke off right next to the rocks , had to be 200+ . also hooked and land a bat ray off the bali hai from wing tip to tip 74" across . sa a kid in mission bay we used to fish for "igor", a big fish that would spool us and break the line regularly, it was probably a big bsb.

16. Jimmy Walker

Jimmy Walker Fisherman

Name:
    Jimmy
    Boat:
    Bertram 50 - Reata
    Caught a small Black Sea Bass (15 pounder) during the open bay bass tournament a few years back. Almost all the way down to the Coronado Bridge. Guess they’re almost everywhere now. Good news!!

Secutor54 likes this.