PENN

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I won’t bore you with a lengthy report today. It was a pretty normal weekend fishing.

Saturday was an ok day. Started off fishing for halibut and didn’t manage any. Moved to the kelp and saw some birds diving. Wide open bonito for about 30-45 minutes and then they left. Trolled around and managed a few more bonito. Fished for rockfish and managed a few. I lost a big fish in the same exact spot we lost a 25”+ lingcod last week.
    Tried the halibut spot again with no luck except for 3 15” sculpin. Moved to the end of Zuniga and had caught about 25 short calicos.

Sunday was a slow day. Made some mackerel around Zuniga with mixed in short cudas. Somehow managed a short cabezon on a jig. Trolled to the edge of the kelp and Immediately hooked up with a larger bone. Found a school that hung around the boat and played with Bonita for about two hours. All different sizes from 1-10#. After that we tried for halibut and caught one. I think they moved into deeper water so I guess it’s time to figure out some new deeper spots.

I have a lot of the bonito action on my GoPro so I may make a YouTube video. If they are this thick next weekend I’m going to catch one on the fly. Such a blast to catch on light gear.

93F16AFE-11AB-450B-B125-5ABF6F43A76E.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tiagosahn

Jun 4, 2008
    San Diego
    www.prs24-7.com
    Name
    Tiagosahn
    Boat
    25' Hydrasport
    I won’t bore you with a lengthy report today. It was a pretty normal weekend fishing.

Saturday was an ok day. Started off fishing for halibut and didn’t manage any. Moved to the kelp and saw some birds diving. Wide open bonito for about 30-45 minutes and then they left. Trolled around and managed a few more bonito. Fished for rockfish and managed a few. I lost a big fish in the same exact spot we lost a 25”+ lingcod last week.
    Tried the halibut spot again with no luck except for 3 15” sculpin. Moved to the end of Zuniga and had caught about 25 short calicos.

Sunday was a slow day. Made some mackerel around Zuniga with mixed in short cudas. Somehow managed a short cabezon on a jig. Trolled to the edge of the kelp and Immediately hooked up with a larger bone. Found a school that hung around the boat and played with Bonita for about two hours. All different sizes from 1-10#. After that we tried for halibut and caught one. I think they moved into deeper water so I guess it’s time to figure out some new deeper spots.

I have a lot of the bonito action on my GoPro so I may make a YouTube video. If they are this thick next weekend I’m going to catch one on the fly. Such a blast to catch on light gear.

View attachment 1199212
    Good report amigo! Need to get out there again..... how deep you fishing for them Lings?

Upvote 0

AlexKnightley

YellowFever
    Feb 24, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Alex Knightley
    Boat
    No Risk, No Reward
    Great Report.

Finally got the Boss 270 up and running and on the first drop, landed my first legal ling.

Glad to see you're still crushing it! cheers

Upvote 0