Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
All these license fees. Lucky for them I didn't roll up on the Gil Net. I would have blasted my horn, lights, called anyone that would listen. Take video of the asshats. I see the van group every now and then clean out the rocks of snails and those mollusks stuck to rocks. None have license, none suddenly speak english.

First ive heard of a gill net though. There is a city App to report things that goes to the local PD chapter, I'd like to see them drive by every night for a while

App is called "Get it Done"

I use it when I see a dipshit in a motorhome drunk as a skunk with his awning open camping out at the dog beach point on the mission bay side....dude had a fire pit and extra car.

ZERO enforcement.

Reactions: bun87
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Oh what the hell.....Im.moving to Mission Bay now that I know it's "wide open" for poaching everyday and night. Bringing my food truck....and sell "fresh Local caught" Seafood right there in the parking lot. Why not...right. But wait.... I don't speak allot of Mandarin. ... but could get by for sure.....lol.

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

bun87

Almost A Member
    Jan 24, 2011
    San Diego CA USA
    Name
    Bun87
    Boat
    Sea yah!
    It’s always the same groups of people there at night. Every time I go there, they don’t speak English and the play like they don’t know what’s going on. Smh, they clearly know what they’re doing is wrong

Upvote 0

Xue

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Xue
    Boat
    None
    Why do we care if they don't? We put so much money into the economy and licensing so that this type of shit gets taken care of.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I agree with contacting regular law enforcement.CalTip as much as i appreciate it is a joke.By the time they respond it's way too late.

CalTip is not 911.

Often those doing illegal stuff keep on doing it if it works for them. One of those repeat performances they may well be a warden watching. That is the reason for calling it in to CDFW. If local law enforcement will respond great - call them too.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Agaon....I may be mistaken..... but I believe that the FG wardens are allowed to write "vehicular" tickets. .... why can't the cops write POACHING tickets?? Or CAN they? Just curious..... If anyone knows....

Not 100% sure but I believe they can write up any statue violation. CDFW wardens are full fledged LEO that could write one a traffic ticket if they wanted..

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Sworn, badged LEO's are able to write any violation that they see. BUT -- The courts actually adjudicate the citation. And different municipal courts, with different locally-elected DA's and judges, feel differently about certain things. Some DA's don't want to "waste their time" (their words) with what they consider very minor, petty issues. They have drug busts and burglaries and car thefts and wife beatings and a whole long list of other issues demanding their attention. Dealing with fishing citations is way down the list, usually. We learned to write a handful of citations in the area of any one municipal court, and then go patrol a different area with a different municipal court.

And if we ran across a DUI situation, we would detain the driver and call for a Deputy Sheriff or Highway Patrol unit to come take over the situation. Because a high-priced lawyer could raise all sorts of side issues and use delaying tactics and hope that the Sacramento office would get tired of the situation and cut a soft deal. So, the SO would write the ticket and their office had the resources to take it through to conclusion.

Fish and Game officers are also dealing with injured wildlife and checking licensed falconers and making sure pet stores aren't bringing in and selling fish and critters that are not allowed in the State, and serving warrants on people who don't show up in court to take care of the ticket, and fifty other things. Hotline tips go to the local warden, who usually checks with surrounding wardens to see if there is a similar issue in a neighboring territory (there often is) and then a plan is made to deal with the issue. That usually doesn't involve immediately running Code Three to the location. Often a vantage point will be taken and observation begins, and when the people involved leave then photos are taken of the vehicles, and often following ensues. Do they go home or to a business?

The concerned citizen who made the call probably doesn't know about any of this, and may well conclude that the call was ignored and the warden was at a donut shop. Nope.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Great post brother! It's difficult to see all of those responsibilities from the lay persons point of view. Sometimes "lifting the curtain" helps others ... put things in proper perspective. I believe many here on BD need to read your post a few times..... to really get it. Thanks for your "experienced" point of view.

Now one more question....With your keen insight.. from both the Law Enforcement side... and the serious fishing community side..... HOW can this quagmire be improved? Streamlined? Expanded?
    What about "Volunteer" Wardens?

It's just SOOOOOOOO difficult to stand by and watch....

Upvote 0

Xue

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Xue
    Boat
    None
    You don't need to know the inner workings of a department to know that it's failed. I've know a warden for a long time, now working in another state, and I have a small idea of what they do. According to him, that state is far above Cali in all things fish and game.

It starts at the very top, from funding to just really caring about the issue and being progressive in thinking. Most of that comes from funding, which Cali suck hard at.

They don't care, as per surfgoose.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    CalTip is not 911.

Often those doing illegal stuff keep on doing it if it works for them. One of those repeat performances they may well be a warden watching. That is the reason for calling it in to CDFW. If local law enforcement will respond great - call them too.
    I didn't mention calling 911.Obviously you wouldn't call 911 for a fish and game related issue.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    woodfish330 -- I actually think that little by little the situation IS improving. Not because of anything that the Department is doing or not doing, but because there has been a constant attitude adjustment on the part of more and more California outdoorsmen and the people making a living from the outdoor resources of California.

The skippers and crews of the vast majority of sportfishing boats now actively encourage proper fish handling and releasing of smaller fish, and larger breeding fish such as big bass. I released a much larger than usual Calico a summer ago and not only got an "attaboy!" from the crew but from several other fishermen nearby. I have noticed a lot more releasing of baby dorado and yellowtail and even small yellowfin on the boats. Undersized fish of all kinds are being treated more respectfully. More and more of the boats are reporting released numbers as well as the bagged fish. And people holding commercial tickets of all types are looking at a longer view of the resources.

It comes down to people and their attitudes, not laws. If you respect the fish and birds and beasts that we share the state with, everything works better. If fathers and husbands value their daughters and treat them with respect, and insist that brothers look out for sisters, then prostitution and rape goes down.

California will always be challenged because it is a huge, constantly changing whirlpool of different cultures and attitudes. But it is better today in a lot of ways than it was thirty-five years ago when I was trying to get sportboat crews to stop filleting ten inch bass because the customers were keeping everything that jumped on a hook.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I didn't mention calling 911.Obviously you wouldn't call 911 for a fish and game related issue.

My point was that people should not expect an immediate response (or even an answer for that matter) when calling CalTip as many people seem to do.

Would be nice if CA funded someone 24/7 to answer the phone. My guess would be that it would be a waste of money to do that unless they hire more wardens. Its' not like wardens are sitting around waiting for something to do.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0