bun87

Almost A Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Diego CA USA
Name
Bun87
Boat
Sea yah!
I usually don’t post about anything outside of the classified but what I saw last night angered me. Apologies in advance if this isn’t the right place for this thread. It was at the coda-sac in mission bay next to the Hyatt hotel. For those who don’t know where this is, it’s in San Diego. It’s a popular fishing spot, right at the bait bar channel next to the Gettys.

Happened last night 9/25/2020 at 11:30pm. Me and my buddy pulled up to the spot. On the corner of my eye I see some guys setting up something right on the rocks. It was hard to tell what they were doing so I thought nothing of it. As soon as I got my rod set up I walked over to the rocks with my flashlight beaming and was shocked at what I saw. One of the guy hopped onto a yellow kayak (very dark at night) from the rocks holding on to the edge of a large gill net. At least the size of 3 volleyball nets. He rowed it out into the bay. I was pissed at what I saw so I kept my light shining at them. They soon got scared and the other guy on the rock pulled the net in ran it into a white van parked at the lot and drove away. There was about 3-4 of them speaking mandarin (I speak Cantonese so I can pick out some words) and they knew exactly what they were doing.

I am usually someone who minds my own business and don’t really say anything about anything. But this pissed me off. The fact that they can be so greedy and ruin the fun for everyone else. Actions like these give fishes no chance to repopulate. On top of that for those who are playing by the rules, it sucks because that’s a common place to go fish and no one likes to go to their favorite spot and gets skunked. I really wished I was thinking clearly and took a video of what I saw but I was too pissed to even thought of it. So for those who fish at the spot please keep an eye out for these crooks. It’s unfortunate that our favorite spots aren’t as populated as they use to be. I’ve attached below where the location was. Thanks for reading everyone

57F27300-B960-4DD6-93F3-636697E71659.jpeg

9BD4E693-1F20-45E2-9C7E-605B8DA58FBD.jpeg

9A5DB416-842B-43E2-96D0-C4FC088EA46B.jpeg

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Im surprised one eye the sealion didn't jump their shit. Just be careful, your safety is more valuable than anything they would have caught. One call to lifeguard and they would have came over. Lobster open this weekend and there will be folks every night so I doubt they will try again.

Upvote 0

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
I was in the parking lot opposite of sea world a few months ago,and these guys had a bbq set up,and had about 5 or Spotted bay bass on it that were probably 8-10 inches long each.I tried calling the Poacher line,but got an answering machine each time....

Reactions: bun87
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Unfortunately there isn't any funds to man the poaching hotline, you will be asked to leave a message. But the messages DO get listened to frequently, and that area's warden gets notified. One of the reasons that many fishermen and hunters very rarely see a warden is that the job is a LOT of night work, because that is when the bad guys think that they can get away with things. Modern technology has made it very inexpensive to get really powerful night vision binocs and cameras, which helps a whole lot. And the sympathy that the courts felt several decades ago ("Aw, the poor refugees, they just don't know any better") has almost disappeared. Now they don't just lose the nets and pay a token fine, they are losing cars. Which gets their attention.

Upvote 0

bun87

Almost A Member
    Jan 24, 2011
    San Diego CA USA
    Name
    Bun87
    Boat
    Sea yah!
    Definitely, I was able to contact the DFG and someone answered. Hopefully they did something about it. By the time I called them one of them already grabbed the net in the van and left with the evidence. At least they didn’t get anything that night and DFG is aware of the situation 👍🏼

Reactions: momaguro
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    There's an episode of that Game Warden show where they catch a group of guys poaching lobster with fishing rods at night.They had them under surveillance from the water and shoreline.That same spot.

Upvote 0

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Ronson
    Boat
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    That looks like a boat trap....any boat going to get bait could get fouled in that!
    poachers suck!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Yeah, the hardest part for me was to NOT go pounce upon somebody poaching when it became apparent that the activity was illegal. I was told to be cool, watch and see just how dirty they wanted to get. The reason was that the courts wanted to see very serious intent to harm the resource before coming down hard. The hardest hour that I ever spent on the job was watching for a whole hour as four teenagers used rusty screwdrivers and a plastic bucket to remove fifty-cent sized abalone from a tide pool in a protected area, only stopping when the tide raised and they had to leave. Moving the abs to a plastic bag and then placing the bag up the sleeve of the hoody held casually over the shoulder of the leader as they walked out, they were very surprised when we stopped them at the parking lot. Seventy-six baby abalone, it made me heartsick.

The court actually smacked them pretty hard, the DA had to take it seriously. They were gathering for a relative's restaurant, of course. Just like drug dealers using kids so as to avoid the penalties that an adult would face, poachers often use their youngsters in an attempt to provide plausible deniability.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    WTF... Right in front of the lifeguard station! :oops: :eyepoppin:hali_parkutuli:

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Napa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    They will be back after the adrenaline wears off and probably not too far from where you saw them. Everyone in the area needs to keep an eye out. Tip - it's hard to make a get away with 4 flat tires, just saying. Also if im not mistaken local law enforcement might respond if its articulated in such a way as "gill net strung across" and "easy bust" if you get desperate, to make the bust, you can lie and say baby seal in the net along with gall bladder. :cheers:

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    They will be back after the adrenaline wears off and probably not too far from where you saw them. Everyone in the area needs to keep an eye out. Tip - it's hard to make a get away with 4 flat tires, just saying. Also if im not mistaken local law enforcement might respond if its articulated in such a way as "gill net strung across" and "easy bust" if you get desperate, to make the bust, you can lie and say baby seal in the net along with gall bladder. :cheers:
    I agree with contacting regular law enforcement.CalTip as much as i appreciate it is a joke.By the time they respond it's way too late.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    May I be so stupid as to ask why the local "Harbor Patrol" wasn't contacted? In Newport.... I have called them with varying results..... but at least someone shows up....eventually.

Except for the "Administrative note" ... and the "we're doing the best we can".... We have some of the HIGHEST fishing license fees in the country. And YES enforcement is difficult.... but I believe this type of "poaching" is a hell of a.lot worse (and blantant) that giving you a ticket for fishing without a licence.

Your right....video or plate numbers would have been "key"....But they've been "outed" here.... and to the local officials. Keep your eyes peeled.... If your a MB regular. Hell even SEAFORTH customers or employees.... it's not that far away. Delayed justice is acceptable.

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan
    I was in the parking lot opposite of sea world a few months ago,and these guys had a bbq set up,and had about 5 or Spotted bay bass on it that were probably 8-10 inches long each.I tried calling the Poacher line,but got an answering machine each time....

I’ve called that number a couple times in the past 6-7 years, same thing, answering machine.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    I was down there about a month ago and in that exact same lot a van pulled up with about ten cars. There were a couple young boys and girls in each car. Mostly teen age girls. They all got out and got a sand pail and a screwdriver out of the van. There was an older guy in the van. They then proceeded to pry oysters off the rocks for about an hour. When two girls came by me I asked them if they had a fishing license. She acted like she couldn't understand me and starting talking to the other one (Mandarin I'm guessing). They all quickly went back to the parking lot and split. The van had some kind of logo on the side. Maybe a restaurant or fish market.

Can you imagine eating those right out of the bay?

• Wow
    Reactions: BrianBurchfield
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I was down there about a month ago and in that exact same lot a van pulled up with about ten cars. There were a couple young boys and girls in each car. Mostly teen age girls. They all got out and got a sand pail and a screwdriver out of the van. There was an older guy in the van. They then proceeded to pry oysters off the rocks for about an hour. When two girls came by me I asked them if they had a fishing license. She acted like she couldn't understand me and starting talking to the other one (Mandarin I'm guessing). They all quickly went back to the parking lot and split. The van had some kind of logo on the side. Maybe a restaurant or fish market.

Can you imagine eating those right out of the bay?
    If you will eat a Bat, the Stuff in bay is got to be better, eating .

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
    Aug 26, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    John B
    Boat
    BW
    Using a gill net in the bay is a new one to me. That is just brazen!

There's a new crew of people who party it up by the model boat pond and at vacation island a few times a week. 50+ kids running wild without parental supervision while the men and women are segregated into their clicks. 200 plus people each time. Men with their Walmart fishing gear keeping 6" bass in dirty buckets.

Every Tuesday I ask if they have any caught any fish and every time they act like they don't speak English. Luckily as the days are getting cooler, they are coming out less and staying in East County. They poach it up and leave a dirty mess all over the park when they're there. They don't give a crap. Haven't seen a ranger or fish and game ever question them.

In the 20 years I've been going to Mission Bay, I've seen hoards of people poaching. I don't think the park Rangers or F&G can keep up. Although, I am sure they could pay for two full time employees with just poaching tickets alone.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Using a gill net in the bay is a new one to me. That is just brazen!

There's a new crew of people who party it up by the model boat pond and at vacation island a few times a week. 50+ kids running wild without parental supervision while the men and women are segregated into their clicks. 200 plus people each time. Men with their Walmart fishing gear keeping 6" bass in dirty buckets.

Every Tuesday I ask if they have any caught any fish and every time they act like they don't speak English. Luckily as the days are getting cooler, they are coming out less and staying in East County. They poach it up and leave a dirty mess all over the park when they're there. They don't give a crap. Haven't seen a ranger or fish and game ever question them.

In the 20 years I've been going to Mission Bay, I've seen hoards of people poaching. I don't think the park Rangers or F&G can keep up. Although, I am sure they could pay for two full time employees with just poaching tickets alone.

I can see that area from my slip. Believe it or not the cops are aware. There has been plenty of times at night I've seen the pretty blue lights there.

Upvote 0

finfan

Almost A Member
    Aug 2, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    STEVEN
    Boat
    32' Blackfin FB
    You should see what goes on at the OB pier. Buckets of fish being caught and sold, one guy has a balance scale where he weights the fish and sales per pound..........

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Agaon....I may be mistaken..... but I believe that the FG wardens are allowed to write "vehicular" tickets. .... why can't the cops write POACHING tickets?? Or CAN they? Just curious..... If anyone knows....

Upvote 0