Poached hard by divers.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by got2fishsd, Oct 2, 2017.

1. got2fishsd

got2fishsd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d
    Hooped a local spot last. Ought with my son and boat partner.

Got on the water and dropped hoops without bait to reserve my spot. About an hour before dark went. Ack through and baited everything.

Just before we started pulling a 26' whaler with SEVEN fucking divers jumps in and picked all but 1 of my deeper hoops. I was spread out with about 50 yards between each hoop so. At first I wanted to give them the benefit and assume the crawl just was slow to start. I could see them turn the light off make the short swim to my nets and lights would turn on right at my hoop. In past years I have pulled an average of 10-18 bugs per hoop with about 1 in 7 legal. This year with the exception of the last hoop they were dry. Just sucks, felt robbed.

Took everything deeper and ended the school night with 8 legals.

On the positive I got to spend some time on the water with my son. He was pumped on his 22 fish (Macs). Kept 8 bugs. Got to show my son some cool creatures, octopus, horn shark, lobster and fish. Boat ran great and I'm sure his teacher will be happy because he's so tried this morning.

IMG_7737.JPG

jsl, Otto, Tackleho619 and 23 others like this.
  2. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    When can they start poaching the commercial traps?

embo and carterantebi like this.
  3. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about the poaching. Too bad you couldn't video or photo something that was evident enough to have them cited. Kudos to your son for keeping spirits high.

mandoman68 likes this.
  4. got2fishsd

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d
    I thought about it but what am I really going to do? Get on a fight in front of my son over some stupid lobster. I just want him to be able to get outside and see what this awesome ocean has to offer, like my dad for me. Just hate to have to show him shitty people.

Tackleho619, ScaleyOne, M4TT and 14 others like this.
  5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Anyone know the limit on poaching these days?
    Is it :lux::lux::lux::lux::lux::lux::lux::lux::lux::lux:ten?

zeegzagz likes this.
  6. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    There needs to be a new law: divers must not approach within 50 feet of any hoop net. It is both dangerous and stupid that divers are allowed to dive at the exact same location other people are setting nets. I know most divers are cool and honest guys, but the few bad apples ruin it for everyone and it's been a long time coming.

7. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Eric, you should have contacted the DFW. If your traps were dry of even shorts, then the divers were likely keeping shorts as well as legals, if they were indeed raiding your traps. I caught several divers back in the day who were using fake tanks to hold overlimits and shorts, and then hidden panels on the boats to stash the bugs and/or fish that they didn't want inspected. If they were poaching and got away with it that time, they will do it again, and again, until they get caught. And lose their boat and car and gear, etc. as well as pay a pretty stiff fine. A photo or two of the boat gives the officers a starting point to watch out for.

fisherman11, embo and finishright like this.
  8. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    We went for lobster last night too. Only guy with easy limits was a diver. He mentioned " I saw quite a few nets with nothing." Wondered if the occasional opportunist sees hoops as "lobster aggregation devices"???

ScaleyOne and marlyn like this.
  9. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    :D

h2oskierbob2002 likes this.
  10. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    I agree. Always better to bite your lip for sure, especially with the youngsters.

Maybe a couple 5 gallon buckets of cow blood along with a large tuna head stuck to a 15/0 hook going over the rail will get there attention next time...:D

11. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    one seal Bomb Would Do the Trick.

12. halekai

halekai Be nice if you want a mooring.

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Marlinspike
    Was taking some customers back to Cherry cove when I hear some dudes blasting an air horn at the divers next to their hoops next to the reserve. Opening week is always ridiculous. Glad you got some though.

13. acestriker

acestriker Newbie

Name:
    Acestriker
    Boat:
    Ho
    Most divers who actually do well getting bugs don’t need to poach the hoops. It’s an inefficient method to poach hoops and those that do are just stupid (and they make it even more dangerous for us divers who are respectful). A lot can go wrong down there that could mean life or death for the divers, so the last thing they/we need to worry about is messing with someone else’s hoops and something happening out of “retaliation”. I will admit that sometimes when I dive I may bump into a hoop that wasn’t there when I jumped in, but I always try to change course, or come up to check where I am at so that I can respect everyone’s space and gear. I always try to avoid areas where people have already setup hoops because I don’t want to swim through a maze of hoops and boats above me. It’s a different and dangerous world down there especially in the dark. We don’t have GPS and can’t see more than 10-15ft most times so things happen sometimes. I don’t want to increase the danger factor by messing with other people. My guys and I are known to gift some of our bugs to hoopers if they’re having a slow night too...no need for both sides to get worked up over something you can get at the market. Be safe out there everyone!

Hookdown, RockyGizmo, embo and 14 others like this.
  14. got2fishsd

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d
    I appreciate you approach to diving for bugs. I also dive but wanted to take my 7 year old son and he is just not ready for night diving yet. The visibility was really good last night so the divers were able to see my line from my floats and with basically a diver on every hoop I could not keep them away. The diver were 1000 x's worst than sea lions last night. They were able to hear my boat and they would drop to the bottom with their main light off and swim back to the jetty. I'm not worked up my son had a great night.

finishright likes this.
  15. mike carson

mike carson Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17ft bayrunner
    Someone needs to design a bear trap disguised as a hoopnet, with a rubber lobster inside!!

16. bajabills

bajabills Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Great point. Photo the boat and cf numbers, its job security for wardens. And security for yourself.
    People who do that are unstable. Sometimes it's time to pull the traps, until they leave.

17. acestriker

acestriker Newbie

Name:
    Acestriker
    Boat:
    Ho

Yeah if that was me, it would be very frustrating to watch them go to and from my nets and I would be pretty damn upset about it….but you made the right call (with your son on board). Take photos of their boat and boat captain and put them on blast. It’s always the few that ruin it for the majority. Glad you got to enjoy your time on the water with you son!

fisherman11 likes this.
  18. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Maybe that would have been a good time to fish yoyo style with the biggest Tady jig you can get.If i saw a light near my hoopnet i would tie it off to a cleat and pull that thing up with some horsepower.

19. Spearo4Life

Spearo4Life Member

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"
    I dive regularly during bug season. I hoop regularly during the big season. There's usually a net every 20 feet on the jetty. Most smart hoopers keep their nets a few feet back in the sand at the base to avoid getting stuck in the rocks. Divers dive the jetty because almost everything else in/near the harbor is restricted where hoppers can fish a variety of depths and locations.

I dive in the rocks. Not nets, Usually between 10' off the bottom and up to 10' below the surface. That's where they are at unless there's a crazy crawl. There's more bugs and in my opinion it's easier to pluck them from the rock then out in the open such as the sand or some hard working guys net that's just as invested as I am.

I personally have been accused and almost run over by piss drunk angry hoopers THINKING we're diving their nets just because they see a light (visible for over 100') in the general area of the net.

If these guys were all over your nets that's wrong and I agree with everyone above in that pics, cfs, and call DFW. The guy in the boat can't do anything about his divers but if DFW got wind and pressured/cited him he would prob not invite those guys again and might even educate/warn future divers.

To all you guys threatening aggression and jigs, etc, grow up. To use some horsepower and a jig to pull a guy up off the bottom could kill or at best disable a persons pulmonary system. Divers are facing decompression problems, Boyle's Law, surges, currents, and not to mention 0 visibility where their light is not pointing, etc.

Little bit more dangerous than too many beers and hooping.

Limits, reefhunter11, embo and 7 others like this.
  20. got2fishsd

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d

Like I said I also dive and like you, I tend to do way better in close. I was set way off the rocks. It was 100% not just the dive light pointed towards the hoops. The guys were turning the main light off and I could tell where they were because a couple of them had a glow stick or other small light on them.

I'm stoked for guys to go out and dive or hoop and get your own bugs. I just felt robbed.

Yes I could have dropped an iron or sabiki that was ready to go but What's the point, I don't want to hurt someone. Second what am I teaching my kid?

I'm sure one of the 7 dudes has seen this post.

FishinChic and Spearo4Life like this.