PLYWOOD / FIBERGLASS HELP NEEDED

Cwarren6

Jun 16, 2013
Lakewood
Name
CONNOR
Boat
CRESTLINER 1750
LOOKING TO REPLACE THE DECK IN MY BOAT THIS OFF SEASON. DECK WILL BE PLYWOOD I WOULD LIKE TO SEAL WITH RESIN/GLASS AND ALSO NEED TO MAKE A COUPLE HATCHES W/COVERS.

1ST QUESTION WHAT RESIN/GLASS WOULD I USE TO SEAL THE DECK?

2ND QUESTION WHAT RESIN/GLASS WOULD I USE TO MAKE THE HATCHES?

THANKS, CONNOR

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
there are numerous fiberglassing vids on you tube...if you haven't worked with it before spend a couple hours watching everyone you can and you should get good results if you use that info.

Upvote 0

Aliikai17

May 6, 2012
Kona Hawaii
Name
Pat
Boat
Less now
Use Poly resin it's cheap, strong, & old skool. Boats in the 70's & 80's are the best built boats still around so you don't have to buy into the epoxy hype. It's very easy to work with and home depot has it. The glass is up to you.

Reactions: 40Grit
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Watch some basic fiberglass vids, you will get your info.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Normslanding

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
Having built a couple of plywood boats encapsulation of the wood is paramount.
As for resin any good low viscosity marine Epoxy resin will do a great job. West System is not cheep but it's a good as anything out there. Bonding the deck to the existing is also paramount, and that is where Epoxy excels. Fillers can be had a cheaper prices the a name brand, they will do fine. Glass the deck surfaces, and just resin the below deck areas, but cover everything. I hope this helps, lots of info in the net.

Reactions: Cwarren6
Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
Do some searching here. I belive the guy who builds Anderson boats has given some advice before on making polyester stick to plywood and it was all about proper sanding with the right grit. Also look for posts by 40grit, he knows what he is doing.

Epoxy is better, will stick easier, but costs a lot more. Poly will work

Reactions: 40Grit
Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
the key is the plywood, to start with, and then resin. you want make sure the panels are sealed , "water proof", and strong. I used hydrotek mahogany plywood, vinylestsr resin with 1.5 oz matt , and 6oz cloth. the hydrotec has no knots , and all of the edges are sealed , the wood laminates in the plywood are sealed without voids, and it's very strong and stiff, but expensive. home depot has some nice plywood for about 40 bux a sheet or Dixieline has marine ply for about 90 a sheet {1/2" x 4'x8'}.I used fiberlay vinyleste rlaminating resin to seal wood and edges , 3 coats.... 50/50 resin/thinner for first soak coat, then 75/25 resin, 2nd soak coat, and then straight resin, and start laying down matt/cloth. for your final coat you want finishing resin or you can add pva {a wax} to any left over lam resin, it will convert to finishing resin.this will give you a smooth surface, lam resin dries sticky. I think vinylester resin is the best, the custom boat maker I know swears by it, and it's worked great for me. epoxy resin and fiberglass matt don'tmix, so right there if you're using csm{chopped strand mat}, you need a polyester resin. epoxy sticks to anything , but only epoxy sticks to epoxy, vinylester sticks to anything and anything sticks to vinykester. post some pix of your rotten deck, I've fixed a "few".
what you'll need is plywood, vinylester resin, m.e.k.p., styrene monomer {thinner|, p.v.a., {finish coat converter},1.5 oz matt, 6oz cloth, and supplies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
LOOKING TO REPLACE THE DECK IN MY BOAT THIS OFF SEASON. DECK WILL BE PLYWOOD I WOULD LIKE TO SEAL WITH RESIN/GLASS AND ALSO NEED TO MAKE A COUPLE HATCHES W/COVERS.

1ST QUESTION WHAT RESIN/GLASS WOULD I USE TO SEAL THE DECK?

2ND QUESTION WHAT RESIN/GLASS WOULD I USE TO MAKE THE HATCHES?

THANKS, CONNOR

https://systemthree.com/pages/literature

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
It's all pretty easy. Like the earlier posts said seal the ply. We remove lots of rotting ply core boat decks, because many production builders don't seal the underside of their decks. We also see cored plywood that had been sealed absorb moisture and rot. when once wet can't dry out, very common. The composite industry has addressed this eventuality with plywood. Replacing it with continuous strand board. This board is similar in strength to ply and will not rot
It's not competitive w ply, three times cost. if your project is on a budget Coosa board is not for you. With that said, plywood is great for lots of projects. It's about practicality. Our general laminate is mat and cloth in one pass squeegee the bubbles out. Once cured sand and flow coat with resin with surfacing agent, Wax.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Cwarren6
Upvote 0